Would My Dog Cope Well?

Henrietta

Ok, a quick background...

I have a 4 year old Chi x who has behavioural issues.

She currently lives with me and my parents and brother, and my parent's dog.

I am finally looking at moving out, having left and returned before (my parents are gems :))

To begin with, I will be housesharing. My dog is, plain and simple, unsuitable for this lifestyle because of her issues (continually being worked on and managed by the way).

My girl has always known life with my parents and they adore her and understand her needs, all of them. They know how to keep her safe.

I'm going to be leaving her with my parents. She has people coming in and out during the day, we all have different work timetables and the amount of time the dogs spend on their own is minimal. She is with a dog she adores... I don't think I could fairly separate them.

I'm not moving town at all, and to be honest, I won't be until she crosses the bridge, plain and simple. I may move house, but I cannot leave her.

If at a later date, I have a domestic situation where I can have my girl, I'll consider it. But only if it's better for her.

My main question is... will me coming over everyday, twice a day or even more for walks, cuddles, grooming, training... will that upset her or confuse her? I figure she'll get used to it, but I just worry about her well-being. She is likely much more adaptable than I give her credit for. If not, I'll have to completely rethink my plans, but I will come up with a plan that is the best for her.

We will still do all the things we used to do and go to all the places we currently go to - friends, training, parks etc. The only thing different will be that she won't be sleeping in my bed. :laugh:

If my girl didn't have the issues I describe, I wouldn't have a problem with having a dog in suitable share housing. I tend to think my girl would much prefer to go on like she has always done, with company more often than I could provide being a full-time worker and student living by myself.

Edit - I should add that the behaviourial issue in question is aggression.

Edited by Henrietta

I had a friend who did this. I think that it is the sensible thing to do. The dog ended up living quite a long time, she got married and had children but the dog stayed with her parents but she always took care of it as well as her parents.

I think that it's sweet, like a true family dog.

Yes, I think you guys are right. It's probably best for her at this point in time. She is also a nervy dog in some ways, a big change in routine wouldn't be ideal. I can't begin to describe how big a learning curve this one dog has put me through, in many, many ways.

Although I feel absolutely wretched right now, I'm sure I'll be fine too.

When I moved into town from the farm (my parents place) I wanted my 12 year old rotty to come with me but each time I took him to my new house he would be ok for a bit but then would try to go back to the car.

It tore my heart out but he did not like being in town so I decided he should stay on the farm, a year later he died in his sleep.

He was not confused that I was not there all the time, I did not even get to see him everyday, they adapt and adjust to the situations we put them in, ICE was always super glad to see me and never forgot that I was his special one.

Keep you girl in the situation that is safest and least stressful for her :)

Some dogs are people dogs and others are places dogs ... a friend has 2 dogs. One doesn't care where he is ... as long as he is with his owner ... while the other can't wait to "get home" and just isn't happy unless she is home regardless of who she is with.

Depends on your dog ... but I think in your situation it might be better to leave her with your parents.