Concerned

To cut a long story short, yesterday afternoon I welcomed a 3 year old female American Staffy into my home, I purchased her off a registered breeder.

Upon getting to the house to meet her I was disgusted at what I saw. This dog may as well have been a Greyhound.

Her ribs are showing badly and basically she is just extremely thin! On the way home on the car seat her legs were wobbling like she couldn't hold herself up properly.

I'm wondering what I should feed her to put her weight back on? I'll be taking her to be weighed today and somehow I don't think I'm going to like what I see.. :thumbsup:

Any food suggestions would be great. I'm hoping to eventually put her on a BARF diet if I can find a good recipe so even if someone could just help me with that, it would be very helpful.

I have uploaded a photo of her, it doesn't show how thin she really is though.

By the way, the breeders excuse was she had been running on a farm, what a load of sh!t! when i got her home and fed her, she ate like nothing I'd ever seen.

fxs7c5.jpg

Edited by blue.amstaff

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She doesn't look that thin to me? :thumbsup: She could do with a little more coverage on her ribs perhaps but I wouldn't want to see her waist get much bigger? The photo must be quite deceiving.

My Dane will eat his meals like he's never eaten before too, but doesn't mean he's starving (well, I'm sure he thinks he is but he's most definitely not!!).

In any case, just feed her a good quality food. Don't try to pack weight on her too quickly or you could make her sick. Let her weight increase slowly.

She doesn't look that thin to me? :thumbsup: She could do with a little more coverage on her ribs perhaps but I wouldn't want to see her waist get much bigger? The photo must be quite deceiving.

My Dane will eat his meals like he's never eaten before too, but doesn't mean he's starving (well, I'm sure he thinks he is but he's most definitely not!!).

In any case, just feed her a good quality food. Don't try to pack weight on her too quickly or you could make her sick. Let her weight increase slowly.

Me either :) They shouldn't look like kegs.

Edited by poodlefan

Me either :)They shouldn't look like kegs.

x2

Me either :)They shouldn't look like kegs.

x2

Who said anything about kegs.

Their bones shouldn't be showing :laugh: I'm sure your opinions will change with another photo. Can anyone actually help with the BARF side of things?

Their bones shouldn't be showing :) I'm sure your opinions will change with another photo. Can anyone actually help with the BARF side of things?

Your opinion. Last three ribs showing is acceptable to me. :thumbsup: Perhaps to her breeder also. If you're suggesting the dog has been starved, I just don't see it.

She doesn't lack muscle. If her vertebrae were visible I'd say she was underweight. Unless you can show me a photo of a dog with a full ribcage showing and exposed vertebrae I can't agree that she's 'extremely thin'.

Most Australian dogs are overweight. 40% of dogs are obese. See what the vet says but I'd not be embarking on a "fatten her up" program based on the scales. Most vets accept dogs at a weight far greater than is good for them anyway.

She looks to be in what I would call "hard working condition". Certainly not in a condition worth shredding a breeder's reputation over. If she's young and active, its probably only a couple of days feeds between having light coverage over her ribs and having exposed rib.

Edited by poodlefan

Their bones shouldn't be showing :laugh: I'm sure your opinions will change with another photo. Can anyone actually help with the BARF side of things?

Your opinion. Last three ribs showing is acceptable to me. :thumbsup:

She doesn't lack muscle. If her vertebrae were visible I'd say she was underweight.

Agree to disagree :)

What is it that you need to know about BARF? What to feed, how much to feed? Have you ever raw fed before, or are you looking to take that leap?

Generally with raw feeding I would feed more meals per day to put on weight, not load up any meal with more food. I wouldn't change the meat/fat/bone/calcium ratio or add anything new.

I curious why you purchased this dog if you were so unhappy with her condition.

Your opinion. Last three ribs showing is acceptable to me. :thumbsup:

She doesn't lack muscle. If her vertebrae were visible I'd say she was underweight.

Agree to disagree :)

Feel free. But the dog is not 'extremely thin'. She sure doesn't look anything like a greyhound.

Here's the best link I've found on the issue of body condition. My guess is she's "lean" according to to the test at para 5.

Edited by poodlefan

What is it that you need to know about BARF? What to feed, how much to feed? Have you ever raw fed before, or are you looking to take that leap?

Generally with raw feeding I would feed more meals per day to put on weight, not load up any meal with more food. I wouldn't change the meat/fat/bone/calcium ratio or add anything new.

I curious why you purchased this dog if you were so unhappy with her condition.

Yes pretty much just what to feed and how much. Never fed BARF before but would like to after having a chat to the Vet about dry food.

Would like to feed it to my pup aswell when he arrives but I'm thinking of giving him Eagle Pack dry food with it until he's about 1yr only because I was told it's harder to get everything right in a BARF diet for young puppies..?

I was basically considering the dog for a fortnight. Talking with this breeder and seeing if she would fit in etc. When I was sent photos of her she looked completely different to what she did when I got there to pick her up.

Yesterday, about an hour before I was due to leave and get her, I was told she wasn't actually at this guys house but at his mates house as he had moved to Southern Cross..

I called him up after I got her and asked when the last time he saw her was - 4 weeks before hand, he had apparently been transfering money to his mate to feed the dog. Somehow I don't think the money was going on her. After I explained the situation and emailed him this photo late yesterday, he said she didn't look like that when she left his house.

Anyway..I was hardly going to leave her there over something that can be fixed. If she was aggressive or something it would be a different story.

Their bones shouldn't be showing :) I'm sure your opinions will change with another photo. Can anyone actually help with the BARF side of things?

Your opinion. Last three ribs showing is acceptable to me. :thumbsup: Perhaps to her breeder also. If you're suggesting the dog has been starved, I just don't see it.

She doesn't lack muscle. If her vertebrae were visible I'd say she was underweight. Unless you can show me a photo of a dog with a full ribcage showing and exposed vertebrae I can't agree that she's 'extremely thin'.

Most Australian dogs are overweight. 40% of dogs are obese. See what the vet says but I'd not be embarking on a "fatten her up" program based on the scales. Most vets accept dogs at a weight far greater than is good for them anyway.

She looks to be in what I would call "hard working condition". Certainly not in a condition worth shredding a breeder's reputation over. If she's young and active, its probably only a couple of days feeds between having light coverage over her ribs and having exposed rib.

+1