Concerned

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sh'e pretty :rofl: That photo may be deceiving.. but I cannot see any hip bones or knobbly spine... and she seems to have good muscles.Another photo may be clearer... I'm sure she will soon be full & happy :rofl:

x1

x2

She looks to be in what I would call "hard working condition". Certainly not in a condition worth shredding a breeder's reputation over. If she's young and active, its probably only a couple of days feeds between having light coverage over her ribs and having exposed rib.

:thumbsup: Agreed.

China constantly runs light. She is a challenge to keep weight on, let alone put weight on. I used to give the dogs no food one day a week (I'm sure there's a better term for this, but my mind has vanished somewhere... :rofl: ) This has now been canned as she drops weight even after missing one feed. :laugh:

I googled "lean Amstaff" and came up with this shot.

Note the hint of rib. If she looks like that side on, I'd be wrapped!! Dog has obvious tuck, and clearly defined waist. :rofl:

:):laugh::laugh: Now that is one poifectly conditioned dog!

blue amstaff- you would certainly be disgusted if you saw some of our working koolies :) They look a bit leaner than your new dog ... but are healthy,and active and shiny :thumbsup:

And my Dane...

and my Vizsla... You'd be horrified if you saw him, and he's only a tiny bit underweight, but is shiny, healthy and really happy.

You must come from the same side as my OH. I keep our Amstaff lean, OH thinks he is starving to death. He got terribly fat when OH was feeding him, so now I do it.

Will be interested to hear how heavy she is. Our boy is about 30kgs. Lean, hard muscle. When I hear about Amstaffs that are 45kgs plus I am shocked, they are either very fat or far too large overall. Most are fat.

Note the hint of rib. If she looks like that side on, I'd be wrapped!! Dog has obvious tuck, and clearly defined waist. :rofl:

:thumbsup::):laugh: Now that is one poifectly conditioned dog!

Nicely balanced too. :rofl:

Indeed! Pure athlete. :laugh:

Anticipating more photos of this beautiful girl ... lean or not ! :laugh:

Absolutely. Keen to see her gorgeous mug. :rofl:

Note the hint of rib. If she looks like that side on, I'd be wrapped!! Dog has obvious tuck, and clearly defined waist. :laugh:

Hmm ok..

Well I have to agree and say she does look quite similar to that :) I've never seen an amstaff in this kind of shape before..

I used to own an APBT and he was a very solid dog up until the day I lost him at 14 years old, so to me, the dog looks underweight :laugh::thumbsup:

So, are you all suggesting she is fine the way she is and not try and put weight on her?

I will upload more photos after work.

are you all suggesting she is fine the way she is and not try and put weight on her?

Hard to tell without a few more shots .. but on first glance it does not look as if she is desperate need of extra feeding :thumbsup: Just go slowly and adjust if needed. Did you read thru th e link I posted earlier on raw feeding?

Personally I would like to see more photos, however to me she looks lean and how I presonally like a dog.

A skinny dog has little muscle bulk, usually has lots of ribs sticking out and many verterbrae. If you had a sighthound then some visible verterbrae are fine, but as a general rule in your bull breeds they do not have visible verterbrae. YOu should be able to see at least the last rib or two. Being able to see no ribs is starting to carry too much weight.

Am Staffs are not meant to be fat they are meant to be lean, have a couple of visible ribs and good muscle bulk, ie not really chunky but strong well flled out muscles. There is, to me, nothing worse than a bul breed that is over weight or fat they are a strong working breed not a fat slob.

I know and have known many Am Staffs and the bitches in particular can be pigs and they do eat like they haven't been fed for a few days

I do like her markings and colouring though very nice and I would like to see more photos.

I am guessing you would not like to see photos of my Whippets. I keep them in lean condition with a visible rib or two and some visible verterbrae. To some people that show Whippets they would like more fat cover on them. I like lean mean running machines. They are certainly not skinny they are fit athletes.

Edited by OSoSwift

Oh I would feed her for maintenece for a bit as she may put weight on due to not having as much free running time anyway. Initially I would feed her what she is used to and change it in a few weeks at least and take a week or two over the change.

Note the hint of rib. If she looks like that side on, I'd be wrapped!! Dog has obvious tuck, and clearly defined waist. :laugh:

Hmm ok..

Well I have to agree and say she does look quite similar to that :laugh:I've never seen an amstaff in this kind of shape before..

I used to own an APBT and he was a very solid dog up until the day I lost him at 14 years old, so to me, the dog looks underweight :laugh: :D

So, are you all suggesting she is fine the way she is and not try and put weight on her?

Some more shots will be good!

Some breeds seem to be routinely kept fat. I suspect its because their owners confuse sheer bulk with muscle or have never seen a lean dog of that breed. I'm not going to name breeds but the condition some are shown are a long way from "hard working condition" :thumbsup:

A lot of bull breeds seem to be kept by their owners with extra condition on - that's what prompted my comment about "kegs". :laugh: Dogs aren't supposed to look like beef cattle. :rolleyes:

I can tell you this much - keeping your dog lean will stave off arthritis and help protect against injuries like cruciate ligament rupture. :laugh: As the article I posted says, the best method of judging what sort of condition your dog is is to get your hands on the dog.

Edited by poodlefan

Does she feel muscular, rather than just boney? Are her energy levels good? Is her coat in good condition?

It's hard to tell if she is lean/fit, or lean/skinny, from just one photo. But lean is better than fat, and she may well not need any more if all the other indicators are good.

efs

Edited by Diva

I am guessing you would not like to see photos of my Whippets. I keep them in lean condition with a visible rib or two and some visible verterbrae. To some people that show Whippets they would like more fat cover on them. I like lean mean running machines. They are certainly not skinny they are fit athletes.

I have to fatten Howie up to show him. :D

He would usually have three visble vertebrae and my vet says that's about right for a sighthound. I love my vet. :thumbsup:

Edited by poodlefan

Oh I would feed her for maintenece for a bit as she may put weight on due to not having as much free running time anyway. Initially I would feed her what she is used to and change it in a few weeks at least and take a week or two over the change.

Good suggestion I recon.

Hmm ok..

Well I have to agree and say she does look quite similar to that :laugh:I've never seen an amstaff in this kind of shape before..

I used to own an APBT and he was a very solid dog up until the day I lost him at 14 years old, so to me, the dog looks underweight :laugh: :D

Some more shots will be good!

Some breeds seem to be routinely kept fat. I suspect its because their owners confuse sheer bulk with muscle or have never seen a lean dog of that breed. I'm not going to name breeds but the condition some are shown are a long way from "hard working condition" :thumbsup:

A lot of bull breeds seem to be kept by their owners with extra condition on - that's what prompted my comment about "kegs". :laugh: Dogs aren't supposed to look like beef cattle. :rolleyes:

I can tell you this much - keeping your dog lean will stave off arthritis and help protect against injuries like cruciate ligament rupture. :laugh: As the article I posted says, the best method of judging what sort of condition your dog is is to get your hands on the dog.

Agree with the whole post, but last bit is a very good point.

ba it's so nice to see that you are taking everyones suggestions on board. :laugh:

We are all looking forward to seeing a few more pics of your gorgeous new addition.