Concerned

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be time to change the topic heading so the breeder isn't being flayed uneccessarily.

She looks beautiful, good coverage and if you feed her in line with her exercise, she will build fitness / muscle and look even better.

fifi

She looks good to me. Personally I would keep her weight reasonably the same, maybe a very slight increase(talking half a kilo at the most) and just concentrate on giving her a good quality diet and getting and keeping her fitness up.

has this owner ever had a dog before, doesnt sound like it. Dogs are far better off lean. Its great lots of experienced dog owners are giving their views.

A fat dog is not a healthy dog. This breed in particular should look the way your dog does.

I am sorry do you mean have I ever had a dog before?????

If you're disgusted at a dog looking like that you would have reported me to the RSPCA.

My dane was leaner than that and that was going through at least 5kg of food a week.

Plus two!

I'd be an RSPCA case if u saw my old afghan. Skinny bitch she was, fed her copious amounts of food to fatten her up for shows but she never put on much weight. Just a real extreme dog, not much anyone could do about it.

I prefer my dogs lean tho, I see too much obesity in dogs in my daily job, it's sickening. Just yesterday I had to groom a dog that could not stand on it's hind legs it was so fat. Heck of a job. Too much weight increases chances of arthritis and diabetes in dogs too. I hate seeing fat couch potato dogs, it's so unhealthy.

Gorgeous girl and gorgeous pupster too.

Might be time to change the topic heading so the breeder isn't being flayed uneccessarily.

She looks beautiful, good coverage and if you feed her in line with her exercise, she will build fitness / muscle and look even better.

x2 once you have her on a quality diet she'll absolutely gleam. :rasberry:

She could probably do with a little bit of weight, but she's far from an RSPCA case. Can we get a full body shot of her so we can see her face too?

Sure, sorry. I was just trying to show the frame of her.

I have a couple but they don't show the rest of her very well, I'm doing well aren't I :rasberry:

Maybe I'm coming across wrong here. I don't want her bulky, a keg, tank or anything else! I just didn't think it was normal for ribs to be showing :rofl:

She's lovely. A dog is a good weight if you can see the last couple of ribs but not see the spine, but I'm sure you've worked that out by now :laugh: She looks really good. I must admit, I had trouble with that at first as well, and thought my boy had to be fatter than he is... but it didn't take me long after he got home to realise he was doing good for his age and height and didn't need more weight :rofl:

If you have concerns about your dogs weight etc...why not take her to your vet..they will tell you if she is too lean, lacks muscle etc

You have more faith in the vast majority of vets than I do :confused:

Most would be quite happy to see 5kg more on any of my "little" 15-17kg Staffords :eek:

If you have concerns about your dogs weight etc...why not take her to your vet..they will tell you if she is too lean, lacks muscle etc

Most would be quite happy to see 5kg more on any of my "little" 15-17kg Staffords :eek:

+ 1

+ 1

+2

My girl weighs 20kg atm, but you'd never know it from looking at her, she looks so skinny! A few months ago she was 18kg and was all hips and ribs now she's just perfect, so shiny with a great tuck and just a few ribs showing. I don't go by weights any more, by by how they look.

You have more faith in the vast majority of vets than I do :eek:

Most would be quite happy to see 5kg more on any of my "little" 15-17kg Staffords :cry:

+ 1

+2

+3

I do "fitness checks" on aspirant agility dogs at my dog club. For weight assessment I use Christine Zink's method (linked earlier in this thread) and until we started giving out information about weight requirements, would have evaluated 1 in 10 dogs as "ideal' and failed about 30-40% for being too overweight (that's a polite euphemism for "fat as a pig").

If I had $10 for every time an indignant handler said "my vet says my dog's weight is fine" I could probably have bought the club a new set of agility equipment by now. My response has always been "perhaps its weight is fine for sitting in the back yard and going on strolls but now you are asking your dog to become an ATHLETE"

I had one very indignant handler give that standard response and say some very uncomplimentary things about me around the club but they returned for reaassessment 2 months later with very slimmed down dogs. Opening comment "my vet can't stop complimenting my the condition of my dogs now" :confused:

Edited by poodlefan

She's stunning :confused:

Her coat looks a little 'flat' (no shine) to me, but pictures can be deceiving and some dogs coats can be naturally flat. If she were mine: I'd get her on a good quality commerical food and/or barf, with a little Vets All Natural Omega Blend for the coat. I'd probably want to up her weight a teensy bit, like half a kilo, as some others have posted.

She's lurvely have fun with her!

Edited to add... Bronson looks sweet too!

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

You have more faith in the vast majority of vets than I do :thumbsup:

Most would be quite happy to see 5kg more on any of my "little" 15-17kg Staffords :D

was thinking the same thing. the first vet i took oberon to was apalled at his ribs showing. he was perfectly healthy and a good weight.

Most vets love seeing lean dogs however if asked is this weight ok- mostly for a pet owner we are never going to get them to accept a lean dog- so we say it's fine.

If asked is this dog too thin- that is very different kettle of fish- and apart from abuse cases you almosy never see a too thin dog. Just poor pet owners fed up of being abused in the park by owners of fat dogs saying- your dog is soooo thin, don't you feed him? :(