Whinging Neighbours!

Caroliina

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with having a dog inside at night, the real problem of why the dog is barking needs to be addressed, otherwise the dog will continue to bark during the day while you are gone.

Not if the issue is possums! :party:

I Didnt see that the OP said there were possums? as she said the dogs was barking during the day? :banghead:

Possums are a different story :party:

From first post in thread:

They claim that my German Shephard (Sam) barks non-stop especially at night.

The reason to bring a dog inside at night isn't just focussed on curing the issue but on stopping your neighbours from shutting it up. People should be able to sleep.

Edited by poodlefan

I disagree with having a dog inside at night, the real problem of why the dog is barking needs to be addressed, otherwise the dog will continue to bark during the day while you are gone.

Not if the issue is possums! :laugh:

I Didnt see that the OP said there were possums? as she said the dogs was barking during the day? :party:

Possums are a different story :party:

From first post in thread:

They claim that my German Shephard (Sam) barks non-stop especially at night.

The reason to bring a dog inside at night isn't just focussed on curing the issue but on stopping your neighbours from shutting it up. People should be able to sleep.

Yes, it says "especially" at night..so you bring the dog inside so it doesnt bark at night, but what happens during the day when your not at home? as you say people should be able to sleep and there are people that work nights...

Some people go for a quick fix rather than sourcing why the dog is barking...i.e possums :laugh: I know cats are big problems in some areas, as owners allow them to wander all night, which can set dogs off..

GSD's are a breed that need stimulation and exercise, perhaps taking the dog for a long run at night, tire the dog out, so its tired and sleeps....benefits all round, dog is happy and tired, owner has a content dog and neighbours have peaceful sleep :laugh:

I of course am not saying dont sleep the dog inside, of course by all means do :D but I would like to know what the issue is and make sure my dog is not a constant barker during the day too :banghead:

Its called the "flood and droubt" effect.

You get home from work, you let your dog in and the dog is in with you all night until the morning when you put the dog out in the yard and off you go to work for the day, most dogs can deal with this, but some dogs cant and really do feel the effect of "being alone"....

maybe look at restricting your dogs access to parts of the yard at night, get the dog into a routine...when its time for bed, you give it a tasty treat like a pigs ear or brisket bone in a dog run and go to bed, the dog will then get used to you going to bed is not a bad thing, but the dog gets a nice treat out of it and feels secure in its own little area.

A lot of people are in denial that its their dogs barking, as they take it as a personal attack on themselves, I for one would appreciate a neighbour bringing this to my attention :eek:

I second thanking the neighbours for bringing it to your attention, most people just want to know they are being listened to and if you thank them, they will be more inclined to speak with you about it in the future, rather than involving the council, or taking matters into their own hands :eek:....work with your neighbours :eek:

Whats wrong with a dog being inside at night?

Can you explain flood and droubt?

Our former neighbour had a pair of mini foxies that would bark just about all night. After polite hints and requests were ignored, OH rang our neighbour at 2am and informed him that every time we were woken up by the dogs, he would be woken up by the phone.

It worked.

Winterpaws if you read my further posts, I said there is nothing wrong with dogs inside at night at all, I mean that it is not goingto solve the problem if the dog is a nuisance barker through the days aswell...

I explained the flood and droubt effect in the post you hasve higlighted...

Flood - You come home at night, bring the dog in, it stays inside with the family all night, gets used to being with you all the time whilst you are home..

Droubt - You put the dog out in the morning and go to work, the dog is left for a period of time without you

Most dogs adjust fine to this, more so if they have the company of other dogs at home, some dogs wont cope with this and will feel lonely when you are gone for a long period... and resport to nuisance barking, destructive behaviour and separation anxiety.....

Winterpaws if you read my further posts, I said there is nothing wrong with dogs inside at night at all, I mean that it is not goingto solve the problem if the dog is a nuisance barker through the days aswell...

I explained the flood and droubt effect in the post you hasve higlighted...

Flood - You come home at night, bring the dog in, it stays inside with the family all night, gets used to being with you all the time whilst you are home..

Droubt - You put the dog out in the morning and go to work, the dog is left for a period of time without you

Most dogs adjust fine to this, more so if they have the company of other dogs at home, some dogs wont cope with this and will feel lonely when you are gone for a long period... and resport to nuisance barking, destructive behaviour and separation anxiety.....

:laugh: I remember you telling me that when I first got Shy, Pockets :laugh:

I have been experiencing it from two neighbours dogs for over 6 months now. One from the back fence and one from the side fence. I have spoken to both neighbours again recently with one taking immediate action and the other appearing not to respond as yet.

I naturally prefaced my conversation with the words "I love puppies too and do not wish to cause any ill feelings, however, the barking is starting to wear thin and I would love to assist them with a solution, whatever it may be" This has delivered positive responses from both, but only action from one.

However the neighbour who has taken action, in my opinion is barking up the wrong tree, so to speak. He has taken to locking the dog inside ALL the time, apart from toilet visits. I am not comfortable with this, as I believe this is not beneficial to the dog and is not addressing the barking behaviour. I have read a lot of the suggestions in this thread and will be discussing some of them when he eventually has the time to come over for a chat. (We get on well so far, so I am hoping this won't effect our relationship)

The neighbour at the rear however, appears not to have taken any action. Does anyone have any suggestions which may work apart from what has been posted previously in this thread, as I am frankly at my wits end. The dog, will bark non-stop while ever I am in my back yard. It doesn't seem to matter wether or not I am making any noise, just my presence sets her off. Also, now she has started barking at night. She barked last night from 11pm till 1.15am non-stop. I am sitting here at work, knackered from lack of sleep. (I start early in the morning, so this really eats into my sleep time.)

I do not want to cause any physical or phycological damage to the dog as I know it's not her fault. But I am really starting to unravel over this............ ;) So any thoughts would be appreciated.

Please note....I do not want to take this to council, if I can avoid it, as I know that is a slippery slope for the dog should the barking not be addressed by the owner.

my dog was 6 months old when my neighbour with a SWF moved in next door. we wanted to make sure that neither dog (both protective barkers - will bark at strangers and people next to the fence) didn't bark at each other or us. We had visits to each others house for little play times. They got to play in each others backyard and got used to us. Has worked really well. Neither dog barks at each other, or anyone in our respective backyards. They can rev each other up when a stranger walks past, but will quiet down when we tell them too.

This may work. Can you suggest their dog has a visit to your backyard? With them there and you?

Unless the dog is inside with you at night you probably don't hear it barking or might think it is coming from somewhere else. OR it is and the neighbours think it is your dog.

It must be taken seriously because the next letter will be from the council and will have to be addressed then.

I don't know why you think that GSD are not barkers - I have certainly known many who are shocking non stop barkers.

I personally hate barking dogs and I doubt many neighbours would drop a note in a letterbox if there wasn't a problem - just might have been the wrong letterbox.

The german shepard and jack russell next to us bark constantly,especially at night-but the owners dont hear them ;) How they dont is beyond me,but when you have to get up at 4.30 am -it is really starting to give me the willies.I know a lot of people who dont think their dog barks,they must be just used to that bark and tune it out or something!!