What Change In Diet Do You Make For Your Seniors?

kinsella

I have added a glucosamine supplement. Believe it or not my dog also eats more as she has aged. She looses weight very easy if not feed some fat in her diet. I also add on occasion some phsylium husks or tin safcol fish food to gets her bowels moving.

We have recently shifted our 10 year old Great Dane over to Black Hawk and her coat is lovely, have shed that bit of extra weight she had and she has more energy now, prior to Black Hawk she was on BARF.

She's on 2 meals a day as she always has been, now jst 125 grams per meal is a very small amount but seems to do just fine.

She gets Green Lip Muscle, she's not arthritic as such although in the last year seems to be a tad bit stiffer.

I just add joint supplements, give fish oil tablets. I need to drop the amount of food the BRD is eating at the moment as she is not burning it off, and it is too hot to exercise her more.

• 5 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has ways of making food more enticing to oldies?? I have heard of warming their food so it's a bit smellier (and probably a bit nicer so it's not cold).

Em has been off her food recently (I'm hoping it's actually due to her insulin dose - should find out tomorrow), so I've been trying to do anything I can to make her more inclined to eat. So wondering if there are any particular yummies that people add in?

• 4 weeks later...

Weve had lots of oldies over the years since weve had dogs my entire life and always for their entire lives.

We adjust to a smaller biscuit

sometimes warming food in winter and

Ive always needed to feed a little more rather than less.

I too have added, shark cartilege and green lipped muscle because they are the main ingrediants of Sashas blend and a LOT cheaper that way (available in powder form from health food shops)

I often will add some sort of edible oil(small amount) to ensure bowel movement as well.

Towards the very end I tend to give them cooked chicken or fish and well pretty much anything they want except chocolate of course.

I have been known to sit on the floor with my darlings and spoon feed when they are off their food and it works for me. Theres not much I wont do in paliative care -for us its definitely about making their last days as painfree,comfortable & dignified and as pleasant as possible.

Next time we go to the vet, I'm going to get some of the dementia food, as I'm calling it (Hills B/D).

A friend of mine swears Hills B/D did wonders for her aging BC.

VERY interesting - I definitely keep that in mind

I mentioned in the doggy dementia thread that Westiemum started that Grumpy is now on B/D. I've not noticed any discernable difference in him so far but it's only been a couple of weeks. He's not less grumpy or anything.

• 1 month later...

I mentioned in the doggy dementia thread that Westiemum started that Grumpy is now on B/D. I've not noticed any discernable difference in him so far but it's only been a couple of weeks. He's not less grumpy or anything.

Go to the vet and ask for Vivitonin. This drug increases blood flow to the brain and decreases dementia symptoms often dramatically.