Sister's Destructive Pup

Staycalm

If the dog cannot be fully supervised when allowed around these items, then he needs to kept separate from them. Fence off the clothesline area so he can't get in, same goes for the pump out hose, enclose it some how and only get it out when in use. I have also built a run in the past (and now always have one) to use when I have to go out, or when at work, so that any dogs in this phase, can be locked up safely and comfortably and not get up to mischief when I am not there.

A septic pump out hose is in constant use. Everytime a tap is turned on and water from the house goes into the tank, some treated water is pumped out of the hose, so putting it away would not be an option. The hoses are usually really long so they can be moved around an area of about 3-4 acres, watering the grass in different areas and avoiding a swampy patch. The principal works well but dogs love the noise the water makes in the hose and the fact that water suddenly gushes out, but when it stops they tend to grab the hose to see where the water went. Dogs also like to turn them into soaker hoses, puncturing them at intervals. When my friends find their hose reduced to about 5 metres they get another one and start again.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh, my labrador destroys anything that's left in the yard. For her it's not a stage, she's 4 now and she still does it despite many attempts to curb the behaviour. I just make sure nothing of value or importance is left in the dogs yard!!

If I was a dog and constantly in trouble I wouldn't want to go to my owner either.

Hi Stay Calm,

Just another quick suggestions, if your sister is feeling a bit overwhelmed with the amount she has to do ie: look after kids, dogs etc, plus house work, working etc etc then maybe just for the time being she can speak to OH about taking on a few of her chores, walking the other dogs etc so she has more time to spend training the new dog. I'm sure he is already helpful but there might be something he can take care of that frees up another 5 - 10 minutes of her day to spend with the dog :laugh:

Good luck and keep us updated on how she goes with it all.

Also its compulsory to include pictures of said dogs... :laugh:

LOL, thanks for that, you can tell I am not a country girl :dancingelephant:

I suspected this was probably the case though...

So is it feasible to limit his access to where it is placed, in some way?

A septic pump out hose is in constant use. Everytime a tap is turned on and water from the house goes into the tank, some treated water is pumped out of the hose, so putting it away would not be an option. The hoses are usually really long so they can be moved around an area of about 3-4 acres, watering the grass in different areas and avoiding a swampy patch. The principal works well but dogs love the noise the water makes in the hose and the fact that water suddenly gushes out, but when it stops they tend to grab the hose to see where the water went. Dogs also like to turn them into soaker hoses, puncturing them at intervals. When my friends find their hose reduced to about 5 metres they get another one and start again.

My boy Jed is a now 9 mth old Border Collie. He is an inside dog and is ALWAYS under supervision. If I cannot watch him (i.e. when having a shower) he goes outside where there is nothing for him to destroy.

However, even with 24/7 supervision Jed has cost me:

1 $600.00 mobile phone

1 spare set top box

1 TV remote (replacement $80.00)

2 pairs of $150 shoes

and countless items of clothes, pillows etc.

He is however getting much better.....and every moment is an opportunity to train him.

My point being committment and consistency are essential to raising a "good" dog. Not so much different to a child in many ways. But....it does not mean the road will be perfect. Twelve to 14 years is a long time to either "commit" or "put up with" a dog.

I've been copying these and other references from the Internet and sending them through as I got them.

It sounds like your sister is on the internet too.....I am curious as to why she is not posting and researching for herself?

Edited by shyfig

It sounds like your sister is on the internet too.....I am curious as to why she is not posting and researching for herself?

I'm a total research head, being a librarian and info junkie and she knows I can find the best advice in the shortest time.

:eek: