Dogs And Utes

Ravyk

poodlefan-the main reason hypothermia came to mind is because hee does it at night and even though it is 'summer' the nights are quite cool. Would wind over a dog tethered in the back of a ute who is wet be able to chill them down enough to get sick?

poodlefan-the main reason hypothermia came to mind is because hee does it at night and even though it is 'summer' the nights are quite cool. Would wind over a dog tethered in the back of a ute who is wet be able to chill them down enough to get sick?

In summer? I'd say all it would do is dry the dog.

In summer? I'd say all it would do is dry the dog.

Ok so I am worrying needlessly about that.

I'll get OH to tell his brother to get a proper tether point and take the cover off when he takes her to the beach. Maybe also to towel her off before tethering her.

NO and I would be the person at the beach blasting him for transporting his dog like that ? Would he transport his child like that ? maybe he would as he doesn't seem to have much between the ears.

OMG no no no... the idea of a dog travelling under there makes me feel ill!

I would not be concerned about Hypothermia in Australia, even in Winter.

If you friend is willing to do this to the dog, I would guess they're not likely to spend big money on a canopy or well secured crates, so my suggestion would be to get a heavy duty anchor ring drilled into the tray of the ute, in the centre at the front. The dog should wear a well fitting padded harness, and be attached to the ring on a short line so that he can't reach the side of the ute and risk falling off.

A few questions I need some well thought out answers to.

Do you think it is appropriate to allow a dog to travel in the back of a ute, UNDER a closely fitting leather tray cover like this one?

07-ve-ssv-ute-tmr.JPG

Would it make a difference if the dog was tethered or untethered?

Would travelling at night make it any more acceptable [as then heat from the sun is not an issue]?

Would short trips be acceptable? What would consitute as a short trip?

What kind of injuries could be sustained by a dog travelling under a tray cover [tethered or untethered]?

How long would it take for a dog to get hypothermia if the dog was wet [ie, had been swimming and hadn't been towelled off] and travelling in the back of a ute at night? Not a particularly cold night but not a warm night either. How long would it take for serious problems to emerge?

Also agree that's qute a nice ute.

I have also drive a ute and up until a few months ago (my old Beagle boy passed away a short time ago rather unexpectedly) I had three dogs, which made it impossible to take all three with me and without transporting them in the back of the ute.

I would NEVER have the dog in the back of the ute with the tonneau cover down at all even at night and on short trips as several other people have pointed out, it does get very got under there even on a very mild day, not to mention lack of air underneath the cover.

If your OH's brother is worried about the dog being wet and sandy and not wanting to wreck his car, that's understandable, but why can't he take the tonneau cover off and securely tether the dog in the back of the ute either from a very short tether in the middle of the tub so that there is no danger of the dog jumping out over the sides of the tub, or if possible and a much better option in a secured crate?

ETA - If the dog was travelling in the back of the ute untethered and under the tonneau cover and your brothers OH had to brake quickly this would send the dog flying and could cause all sorts of damage to the dog!

Edited by Cheyenne_Fury

It isnt hard to take the tonneau cover off, and roll it up and put it on the front seat, and tether the dog in the back. Its just hard if you are lazy.

I help OH take his on and off every time he washes it (which is a lot) and its not difficult to take it off on your own. Putting it back on is easier with two people, unless you dont care about scratching your "baby".

OH would never travel his dog in the back, he gets the front seat! I would just be drying the dog off well before letting it back in!

Once upon a time I was a reckless country young'un and I have been under the tonneau cover of a moving ute. I would certainly not recommend it for any animal. All the reasons I can think of have been covered - heat, lack of ventilation, danger from being virtually unrestrained. Depending on the way the cover is secured, there is also a chance of it coming open at some point during the trip.

It's about as good a place to travel as the unairconditioned boot of an old sedan.