The Darker Side Of Pet Shops' Puppy Love

cvs

Article

THEY are the "puppy farms", the dark secret behind the tens of thousands of cute little dogs sold through pet shops, classifieds and websites every year.

Despite their well-documented existence, authorities are almost powerless to collar puppy farmers.

"Currently anyone who puts two dogs together can call themselves a breeder," Animal Liberation campaign co-ordinator Jacqueline Dalziell said.

"There are no limits, checks or balances and, with puppies selling for anywhere from $500 up to $1500, it's a very lucrative business."

The RSPCA is lobbying for a national registration or licensing scheme so all puppies, regardless of how or where they are sold, can be traced back to the breeder.

The aim is to end the suffering of thousands of puppies, like nine-month-old cavalier king charles spaniel Ruby.

The dog may endure a lifetime of physical, emotional or behavioural problems as a result of being bred in a so-called puppy farm.

When Ruby's new owners took the eight-week-old puppy home from a breeder at Raymond Terrace, the family did not know the dog had canine giardia, a parasitic infection of the small intestine. Breeder Carolyn Hudson, of Kindee Kennels, denied knowingly selling an infected puppy despite later paying for Ruby's treatment after her new owners threatened to take the matter further.

Mrs Hudson has surrendered more than 50 dogs to the RSPCA following two raids on her property since September 2009.

Footage from one such raid was featured on the RSPCA's reality TV show Animal Rescue last year.

No charges have been laid against Mrs Hudson.

RSPCA NSW chief inspector David O'Shannessy said that "investigations were continuing".

Mrs Hudson denied being a puppy farmer but admitted she bred dogs to avoid "financial ruin" after the collapse of a family business and ailing health left her unable to work.

She said she ran her breeding operation without an ABN and conceded at one point that having more than 100 dogs in two sheds could be considered "intensive".

"I have no qualms about what I'm doing, at least it's all out in the open," she said.

"I could tell you there are a lot [of breeders] out there worse than me."

A Port Stephens Council spokesman said an inspection of Mrs Hudson's property last month discovered about 140 dogs, which breached the development consent limiting her to a maximum of 10 dogs.

Mrs Hudson said it was the first she'd heard of a limit and agreed to reduce her dog numbers to 10 by the end of February.

"I'm trying to get out of dogs by the end of the year," she said.

"I'm trying to get out of dogs by the end of the year," she said.

OMG :laugh:

They are living creatures, not disposable commodities!!

And what will happen to the 130 dogs that she needs to rid herself of? Does she care?

Why is the world so full of heartless, selfish people????

:laugh: This makes me so sad

I used to work in a pet shop. Not only that, but I bred one litter of pups from my pet store bought lab.

I am the epitamy of evil. :laugh:

Haven't you done enough confessing already? Seriously, its getting a bit tiresome.

Use of the word "evil" hardly seems appropriate. I think you need to stop these posts.

Puppy farmers arent ignorant. They know exactly what they are doing and

they just dont give a crap

The idiot bloke up the road who has unwanted pups and sells them for $50 each

is a bit ignorant or just uneducated and stupid

I saw the RSPCA episode that included her before. Absolutely gross. I thought heaps of dogs were removed then - amid her claims of admitting it all got out of control - but I read in the paper today she's currently got around 140 and didn't know about a 10 dog limit. imo there's something seriously wrong with the woman. Maybe she needs heavy therapy or similar. I and plenty of others have ailing health too, but we don't treat animals like this.

I also thought that she'd changed the name of the place. Wasn't there something on this site and she was removed? Ah, I'm blaming the heat today for my brain not working :dancingelephant:

I saw the RSPCA episode that included her before. Absolutely gross. I thought heaps of dogs were removed then - amid her claims of admitting it all got out of control - but I read in the paper today she's currently got around 140 and didn't know about a 10 dog limit. imo there's something seriously wrong with the woman. Maybe she needs heavy therapy or similar. I and plenty of others have ailing health too, but we don't treat animals like this.

I also thought that she'd changed the name of the place. Wasn't there something on this site and she was removed? Ah, I'm blaming the heat today for my brain not working :thumbsup:

Supposedly she had about 130 dogs back then after that raid (according to a local ranger), so she's upped her numbers since then.

What is she going to do with 130 dogs by February? :thumbsup:

I also thought that she'd changed the name of the place. Wasn't there something on this site and she was removed? Ah, I'm blaming the heat today for my brain not working :thumbsup:

Supposedly she had about 130 dogs back then after that raid (according to a local ranger), so she's upped her numbers since then.

What is she going to do with 130 dogs by February? :thumbsup:

We will see them dumped at the Port Stephens shelter I'm guessing ..... Raymond Terrace is only minutes away from there :thumbsup:

A search of the phone number brings up a DogsNSW breeders directory from October 2008 where the kennel name is listed three times, under Australian Silky Terrier, Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu.

It doesn't take long to see she is advertising lots of puppies all over the web, under different usernames, email addresses and phone numbers. Also adult dogs free.

Edited by bonny_beagle

My thoughts were the same about what's she going to do with 130 dogs in - how long? 4 weeks? I can't imagine.

Thinking back to her previous claim to infamy - I think her daughter was in that episode too. It was business for the 2 of them, as the show portrayed it. So looks like nothing has changed.

She must be on a good old wicket with that many dogs having puppies. She should be retired now, or a few years ago, really. Nasty old creep.

I saw one of her silky pups once, still not sure if it was crossed with a yorkie but it came with papers!! And to think she once tried to buy one of my pups, so glad I looked into her, saw how many breeds she had and told her no way!! As for health problems, how does she look after so many dogs when she is sick.

I think most people here would know my thoughts on this person. :laugh: But I will not go off on a rant.

The story says that she sold a pup with Giardia does this mean that the dogs she has there could have this condition? Is it very contagious? and Is it treatable?

To say that I am both sickened and relieved at the same time would be accurate. Sickened by knowing that she is still operating her puppy farm, but very relieved that something has been done and that she is being watched closely.