Feeding Well On A Budget

The 'Budget diet' - it helps if you can buy bulk though:

chicken frames

Pet mince (Find a butcher that does an ok one for a reasonable price - meat offcuts and organ meats included in it)

That is the bulk of your daily diet. Stuff a little of the pet mince into the chicken carcass and feed.

Add if you can:

*1 egg per week

*A source of omega 3 like a can of sardines per week (or buy home brand cat food sardines which has nothing much else added - check the ingredients on the can). You could in a pinch add a bit of linseed oil designed for horses or discount chemists also have cheap big bottles of fish oil caps.about $20 for 400 (I recently bought 600 for $18.95 though that is not common).

*veggie scraps etc. Any leftovers from your dinner.

*the occasional spoon of yoghurt

*When you can afford it throw in the odd different meaty bone such as lamb offcuts or necks etc.

That is it. Most dogs will do fairly well on this type of diet and it wont cost you the earth.

Edited by espinay2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I'm making a note of and I hope that you will forgive me as it is not what you've asked about. And perhaps things have changed or perhaps the pictures are misleading. But I'm looking at the photos in your signature and I'm thinking that perhaps your dogs are overweight? Difficult to tell properly because of the positions they are in. But my point in this is to suggest you look at that because it might be that you are feeding more than you need to. If you could adjust that by getting some better quality food and feed less, you may find there is no difference in the price, if it doesn't prove to be cheaper :dancingelephant:.

Yeah, Rei is overweight. Kuma is fine, but she is overweight. I don't know how, all she gets is 2 cups of supercoat per day and a few table scraps! It is something that is definitely bothering me as well. I need to fix her weight - as well as she's gone from a beautiful rich chocolate brown, to a dull faded caramel. Gross.

Some really great ideas here thank you. I'm going to start doing kibble 2 - 3 times a week with either sardines or an egg added, and chicken frames/necks/offal/brisket etc on the other days.

Thanks heaps for all your advice

I feed 3 approx 20kg dog for about $20 a week total. I feed a kibble that is locally made with either meat dinners which I get from my pet food man which are basically barf and $5kg, chicken wings and frames and sometimes eggs. My petfood man carries human grade chicken for much less than the market charges. I also sometimes cook extra vegies or rice so they will get a bit of that too and the occasional can of no frill sardines. It can work out a lot cheaper feeding well than feeding a lot of preprepared dog foods. The main reason I feed the kibble is so that when I take them away it is easier to feed them.

I go to a chicken factory to get my carcasses and mince. Far cheaper. I pay $9 for 12kg for carcasses and $1.50 kilo of mince. I go to a knackery for my beef and brisket bones. Supermarket for lamb and a market for veges/fruit. Have a good look around on the net and see what you can come up with.

Yeah, Rei is overweight. Kuma is fine, but she is overweight. I don't know how, all she gets is 2 cups of supercoat per day and a few table scraps! It is something that is definitely bothering me as well. I need to fix her weight - as well as she's gone from a beautiful rich chocolate brown, to a dull faded caramel. Gross.

If you think her weight gain and coat dullness is inexplicable, you might do well to get her thryoid checked. As everyone knows, I always recommend having the bloods drawn and sent to Dr Jean Dodds in the USA, simply for their better testing facilities and analysis technique which are likely to pick up thryoid issues in the early outset where ours might not. But if your dog's weight and coat issues are the result of thyroid it might indicate the thyroid issue is more advanced in which case our Aussie labs might well be sufficient.

Just a thought.

Hi all

I'd love some ideas on feeding my dogs a super healthy diet on a tight budget.

Money never used to be an issue, and my dogs were fed very well. They would eat barf patties, or Mince mixed with VAN, lots of meaty bones, or on my lazy days Eagle Pack Holistic Dry food.

These days, they are not fed as well, and I can see the difference in their skin, coats and teeth, and I need to fix this ASAP.

Currently we have nowhere to store bulk meat, frozen or otherwise, but we are looking into getting the dogs their own fridge/freezer in the very near future, so that will no longer be an issue.

Any ideas you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

I'd go the best quality dry food that you can afford (Black Hawk is sounding good) and bulk it up with the following;

*Vegies and table scraps. It's a good way to clear out the fridge and get rid of left over fruit and veg. Left over rice, pasta, etc.

*RMB's - IGA always have something on special. Things I've picked up there of late: Chicken wings $4.99 for 1.5kg pack (clearance), free range chicken drumsticks $3 per pack (approx 600-700g - on clearance), whole free range chicken 1.5kg for $6 (clearance), lamb leg 1.5kg @ $9 per kilo (on special), lamb shanks 1.2kg for approx $7, chicken frames @ $3 per kilo, beef bolar roast roast @ $6 per kilo (on special), big bags of raw lamb bones for $5 each (shopping bag size full). They also do beef mince occasionally for $6 per kilo among other things. Each of those would do a couple of meals.

If you can find a pet meat supplier they are usually pretty cheap. We have one that does roo meat and bones at $3 per kilo (though it does help if you can buy in bulk and freeze).

Leonards do cheap pet mince and frames too ($1.50-$3 per kilo).

*Sardines. Woolies/Safeway do a 3 pack Homebrand really cheap ($1.50 I think). Canned mackeral is 99c too.

*Eggs, yogurt.

You could easily do dry with a couple of chicken necks one meal, rest of the chicken necks next meal, lamb flaps with veggie scraps, dry with remainder of lamb bones, dry with an egg, a can of mackeral and some left over rice from your meal, chicken frames, dry with a dollop of yogurt....

Hope that helps :mad

Edited by SecretKei

I have switched my lot to Black Hawke and 'm very happy with it. If the budget doesn't stretch to that, or if you want something as a back-up, Uncle Albers is an Australian made kibble that my dogs have done very well on in the past and I still keep some here for the occasional chage or if I'm running low on Black Hawke and haven't got around to ordering more,

Some really great ideas here thank you. I'm going to start doing kibble 2 - 3 times a week with either sardines or an egg added, and chicken frames/necks/offal/brisket etc on the other days.

Thanks heaps for all your advice

When was she groomed out properly - if she losing her winter coat, she might just be in need of a really good scrub in a hydrobath and turbo dry afterwards and a good going over. When was her last season - she might be in a big moult right now. One of my rotties is in season now and she drops heaps of hair one month before she is due in and looks filthy/grey color but back to normal when she has been scrubbed properly. Just a thought before you get any blood works done.

Just a thought before you get any blood works done.

Thank you, Andisa (and :(). I did mention "inexplicable" but agree that I didn't make it clear. You're right of course - coat dullness/fading could well just be old coat.

Just a thought before you get any blood works done.

Thank you, Andisa (and :(). I did mention "inexplicable" but agree that I didn't make it clear. You're right of course - coat dullness/fading could well just be old coat.

Hello Erny :) - Piper looks like crap when she blows coat, she is dirty and dull and once she goes through the bath a few times she comes out a new girl. There has been plenty of times when I have thought this cant be normal but it is normal for her. Thankfully Pink is nothing like her mother (hope it stays that way) when coming in season.

Having groomed many labs over the years I have seen just how much coat they can lose - and this just came to mind when the description of coat was mentioned.

ETA : Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Edited by Andisa

Thanks heaps for the info on her coat.

She has gone through quite a few stages in her 4 years of life where I've been concerned about the colour of her coat, and it always ends up at that beautiful rich chocolate brown again eventually, so hopefully it is the same thing again, and it's just that she's having a good mault. She probably needs a good wash, it's been a while since I've washed her because she absolutely hates it :(

Thanks heaps for the info on her coat.

She has gone through quite a few stages in her 4 years of life where I've been concerned about the colour of her coat, and it always ends up at that beautiful rich chocolate brown again eventually, so hopefully it is the same thing again, and it's just that she's having a good mault. She probably needs a good wash, it's been a while since I've washed her because she absolutely hates it :D

If it has been a while then I think you will find a huge difference in her coat by getting her done properly - take her to a DIY dog wash and do her yourself or get someone else to do it for you. If you can grab a handful of hair or rub your hands all over her coat and get heaps of lose hair, then she needs a good going over - might need a couple of goes a few weeks apart to do her properly.

Edited by Andisa

Supermarkets may sell bones(flaps/necks etc ) I buy stuff from our IGA only about $4 a kg!

Chicken carcasses are cheap ..and a meal!

Supercoat or Bonnie is ok... but for the cost of teeth scaling..you could have bought a uteload of bones!! :D

Sorry but i find Bonnie absolutely crap wouldn't count it any better then CHUM or PAL my dogs turned off it in a day and they are not ones to be fussy.

that was meant to be us cutting down on cost but sometimes it isn't worth it.

i Find alot of brands people/vets suggest to always make my dogs poo (science diet and nutro) heaps more every single day compared to pro plan sensitive skin and stomach. If i could afford it i would go with BARF in a second.

Sorry but i find Bonnie absolutely crap wouldn't count it any better then CHUM or PAL my dogs turned off it in a day and they are not ones to be fussy.

that was meant to be us cutting down on cost but sometimes it isn't worth it.

i Find alot of brands people/vets suggest to always make my dogs poo (science diet and nutro) heaps more every single day compared to pro plan sensitive skin and stomach. If i could afford it i would go with BARF in a second.

I have started feeding mine Coprice. They love it and seem to be doing well on it.
Ours could not tolerate the Coprice at all :rofl: ...but did fine on Bonnie . :D

All of which goes to show you need to try your dog and see how it fares ....

I like Coprice and Bonnie for when I want a cheaper food.

I am feeding the puppy some Nutro currently because every other food has so far disagreed with his tummy.

No matter the food, it's all trial and error :laugh:

Hey guys! Some more questions for you!

So I bought some chicken frames to give them last night which they loved. But what quantity should I be feeding? Rei is a very small lab. She probably weighs around 28kg at the moment, but looks overweight. She looks "right" at about 25kg.

Kuma's weight is perfect atm, and he's around 35kg

I gave Kuma 2 and Rei 1 last night, but I really have no idea. When I've been feeding them supercoat, Rei's been getting 2.5 cups daily (and is overweight) and Kuma's been on 4 cups (and is perfect).

Also, I noticed a lot of people recommending yoghurt.. What type of yoghurt and how often?