Don't Know How Vets And Vet Nurses Do It

jr_inoz

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how they can do it either. I'd be way to judgmental when cases like abuse to animals come in. Whenever I watch those tv shows and I see stupid owners who have no idea I get so angry.

I think it would be difficult seeing animals pts but as an RN there have been times when I've seen humans suffering who want to die in peace and I always think you wouldn't put an animal through any of this.

Yep I think the same about my boss. He won't watch wildlife documentaries because he finds it all too upsetting watching animals die so I know how difficult he finds euthanasia. But yet he always knows exactly what to say to people to offer them comfort and support.

I used to think it would get easier as I 'got used to it' but it's the total opposite and I find it harder each time. I imagine myself in their position should I be losing Orbit and it breaks my heart knowing what they must be feeling.

Stormie, when I came in to see your boss last week, I asked his opinion on whether I should watch Marley and me, as I'd been given the DVD to borrow. He told me he couldn't watch it, and doesn't watch vet shows, animal rescue shows etc, because it would upset him too much. I stood there staring at him, and then felt amazed at the fact that he must do such a wonderful job at feeling empathy for pet owners, and taking on the role of holding it all together and supporting them so much when dealing with their grief. I can imagine how hard it is for you too, as you can surely relate, having seen your bond with Orbit.

Me and hubby did watch Marley and me, and we both suffered a tearful meltdown at the end. I'm not sure it was worth the pain. Should have taken vets advice. :(

Slightly OT
They were feeding it cows milk!

For many years we reared joeys to adulthood on cow's milk .. powdered! it was all we had- the formulae hadn't been invented then! Most of them did ok :(

Maybe the podered milk is different or they were also feeding him something else that caused him to scour. My recollection was though that the Vet declared it was the cows milk and gave them advice on an alternative. He certainly wasn't scouring when he came back in to have his leg plastered, although he was not soley on milk at that point either I don't think.

I would like to think for their sakes they do become at least a little hardened or it would make the job very unpleasant. I think it is the irresponsible owners that would be hard to take.

As a patient one day I was in the waiting room and a women come in with a very pregnant Lab. She sat down beside me and as you do we started to chat. Apparently the dog had been in labour for a couple of days and the pups were all dead. I had just had to have a c-section 2 days prior so sympathised. She said I am getting her pts. I was so stunned all I could do was stare at her. She just shrugged her shoulders and said her breeding days are past and if she was a sheep that is what you would do so what is the difference. As a vet how would you cope with this? This type of thing would break my heart far more than pts a loved pet after they have lived a great life.

Thats disgusting, It's easy to hate some people

As a patient one day I was in the waiting room and a women come in with a very pregnant Lab. She sat down beside me and as you do we started to chat. Apparently the dog had been in labour for a couple of days and the pups were all dead. I had just had to have a c-section 2 days prior so sympathised. She said I am getting her pts. I was so stunned all I could do was stare at her. She just shrugged her shoulders and said her breeding days are past and if she was a sheep that is what you would do so what is the difference. As a vet how would you cope with this? This type of thing would break my heart far more than pts a loved pet after they have lived a great life.

OMG.. :(

When I nursed, the vets ended up saying I shouldn't help with euthanasia anymore as it wasn't professional to cry more than the owners. :) I could see their point but I can't hold back tears when others are crying.

I had a horrible experience when I had my Bulldog put to sleep. I should have taken her to the vet that was treating her but ended up going local. The vet was so callous and hovered over me waiting for me to leave rather than giving me some time with her alone. He then went on to tell me all about the breed problems - like I cared about that at that point of time! I felt pushed out and hated leaving her there on the cold floor. My regular vet always put a towel/blanket under dogs who were being pts, it somehow made it seem more caring.

When my heart dog Victoria died unexpectedly in my arms at the vets, the nurse was just so lovely and caring. She held Victoria's huge head in her lap, put her arm around me and produced a box of tissues. She was just so compassionate that Im getting teary now just remembering it all! The clinic called me to say she was dying and to get back there asap. They kept her alive and comfortable until I could get there then she passed as soon as I got to her. :eek:

I nursed at an outer-Melbourne clinic for some time.

Of course, we had the usual euthanasia to carry out, but I dreaded every second Friday.

The practice owner also owned the pound contracted to the shire, and every second Friday the ute and trailer would pull-up behind the clinic and it would begin...... again.

All the dogs of all shapes and sizes would be led in and caged, then one by one in a constant stream they would be brought into the treatment room and killed. This was usually done in the brief period between consults and surgery so there was little time. Certainly no time to be compassionate, to give them "one last cuddle" or scruff of the ears..... they would be put on the table, shaved and injected as quick as we could do it. Then they were placed immediately on the floor where we would ensure the job was done with a stethoscope while the next dog was being prepped on the treatment table. One after another.

Over time I think I 'hardened' to it all, and probably still am a little 'cold' with such things, but I'll never forget the day I completely snapped as I felt like a murderer instead of a nurse. They stuck me back in the grooming room for a few weeks to 'calm down'.

I quit soon after and didn't nurse again for many years.

I find myself always saying in my head that not everyone looks after their animals in the same way that I look after my own.

I love my job as a vet nurse and euthansia's are something I consider myself good at. I like to think I can help this animal find a better place to be in with no pain and I can also help the owner through a very painful situation by some sympathetic words or maybe just to hold their hand or give them a hug when needed.

Although these are very sad cases my next client maybe someone with a new puppy, so going from being really sad to very excited is the thing that I find draining. You deal with one client then take a deep breathe and onto the next one, while still worrying about the ones out the back recovering from surgery.

My family knows when I've had a particularly hard day as I just go out the back and spend lots of time with my dogs who seem to understand that mum might need an extra cuddle or kiss from them.

It's not just the euthansia's that make our job difficult it's holding little Fluffy that is trying his hardest to bite me and the vet while the vet attempts to look at his ears, it's trying to handle the cat that is lunging, hissing and spitting at me from inside her cage so I can sedate her, it's trying to keep an animal stable under anaesthetic that doesn't want to breathe properly, it's the endless cleaning, organising, keeping the vets on time, the paperwork, the ordering of stock, trying to keep up with the large amount of washing and many other day to day things that make my job interesting. I often go home from work with what I like to call "War Wounds" ie sctraches, bruises, sore muscles from holding or lifting animals.

I've seen many nurses and vets come and go, this industry is not for the faint hearted. It is hard work for little money but self satisfaction outways these things. You definately have to have a passion and a cool head to be the someone special who will look after your pet as if it were my own while it is in my care.

Do I love my job...... you bet I do. :eek:

The vet I had at Orbost when I lost Bo to paralysis tick were amazing. When I went to pick up her body they had her all wrapped up in her bed with flowers. I was so upset at the time I couldnt speak. The vet sent me a card about a week later with a letter. It was sometime before I could bring myself round to going in and thanking them. They were great.

I think one of the most 'soul destroying' procedures for a vet and staff to perform must be desexing a late term pregnancy, dog or cat.

You know, "oh, we were going to get her desexed but the dog/cat next door got to her before we got around to it"

The practice owner also owned the pound contracted to the shire, and every second Friday the ute and trailer would pull-up behind the clinic and it would begin...... again.

All the dogs of all shapes and sizes would be led in and caged, then one by one in a constant stream they would be brought into the treatment room and killed. This was usually done in the brief period between consults and surgery so there was little time. Certainly no time to be compassionate, to give them "one last cuddle" or scruff of the ears..... they would be put on the table, shaved and injected as quick as we could do it. Then they were placed immediately on the floor where we would ensure the job was done with a stethoscope while the next dog was being prepped on the treatment table. One after another.

I understand that someone has to do that, but I simply couldn't work in a place like that. Too soft.

I understand that someone has to do that, but I simply couldn't work in a place like that. Too soft.

We operated similarly with greyhounds. Every day there were hounds to pts. My very first day as a Vet Nurse, I was given a 'practical lesson' in finding a vein and injecting a dog with valabarb. :eek: We did it on the floor normally and with two nurses where possible so one could catch the head of the dog and support the body so when they sunk or dropped, you didn't hear the thud. :)

Edited by ~Anne~

I don't know how they can do it either. I'd be way to judgmental when cases like abuse to animals come in. Whenever I watch those tv shows and I see stupid owners who have no idea I get so angry.

I think it would be difficult seeing animals pts but as an RN there have been times when I've seen humans suffering who want to die in peace and I always think you wouldn't put an animal through any of this.

I'm glad you raised this point. Sending a loved one who's tormented with pain or malignancy on their way with gentleness, peace and love has got to be OK for us as well as our treasured animals, don't you think?

The difference in vets is amazing, some can be so caring yet others are very hard and callous.

When my daughters 2 month old guinea pig was injured by our toy poodle the vet was very kind, she consoled my daughter who was four at the time and explained there was nothing she could do for little 'jelly', he had a broken leg. She gently put him to sleep and wrapped him in some cloth and pinned plastic flowers to the material. My little girl carried this parcel back to the car with tears streaming down her face, we buried jelly in our back yard. The following day we received a sympathy card in the mail with a print out of the rainbow bridge story, it was all adressed to our little girl. I thought it was a lovely gesture and one we will never forget.

Yet when our beloved Border Collie took a massive seizure and ended up in the emergency clinic it was different. We were all very emotional and upset yet were treated coldly and unsympathetically. It was like a business transaction. Our boy was put to sleep the following day due to massive internal organ failure. He cooked himself. At least they were kind enough to cover his back end with a towel as he had pushed his bowels out during the seizure. We were allowed to spend a few minutes with him and were quickly ushered out to "finalize the bill".

I never heard back from them afterwards, not that I was expecting it but it just goes to show the wide differences between vet surgeries.

The place I worked at did the pound euthansia's too. :eek:

I loved working as a vet nurse too. I couldn't handle the pyscho cats though - loved working with the dogs though and guinea pigs and the like.

Was definately one of my favourite, and most challenging and rewarding jobs I've done. There are so many positives, making a difference to the animals and meeting some of the wonderful caring owners out there. The positives tend to outweigh the negatives but I think that would depend on where you are located and what your client base is like.

I actually started working at the vet the week I had a death in my immediate family, and then I had to assist with a euthanasia - I have no idea how I held it together! I found that as long as I didn't know the animal personally, that assisting with euthanasia's was fine. Where I had known the animal a long time (and at this clinic, I knew a lot of performance people coming in), I found it very very hard to deal with.

Toughest euthanasia I did was with a little dog that had been hit by a car with a badly broken leg and unfortunately she had a heart condition that rendered her a non candidate for operating. Her owners were away, she had been being looked after by someone else. So I had to sit and cuddle her whilst she was given the injection. She was a beautiful little dog for her breed, and it was heartbreaking to sit there and cuddle her in her last moments.

Best moments for me were the emergencies - being able to keep calm, work as a team and save the life of an animal in desperate need. Seeing them recover and go home - that is just the best :eek:

Speaking from personal experience on this - yes!

More so when the person wants to be out of their pain and suffering and you as their closest family member have to sit and watch their complete agonised suffering, right to the very end...

Our animals are very lucky!!

[i'm glad you raised this point. Sending a loved one who's tormented with pain or malignancy on their way with gentleness, peace and love has got to be OK for us as well as our treasured animals, don't you think?

I think one of the saddest I can remember was when an old man tottered in, with a little birdcage ..his 'mate' - all he had in his flat ..his long time companion . A dear old canary , who unfortunately had had a stroke or something ..and actually died in the vet's hand as he was examining it :D

It was just awful... we were all in tears, and seeing that old man wander out again with the empty bird cage swinging in his hand ... I will never forget it.

My mother once met her General Practitioner getting into his car with an empty bird cage...outside his surgery. She asked what was he doing with that!

He told her that an older lady (a patient of his), had come in with her loved pet budgie flat on the cage floor. She'd owned him for ages. No wonder, she was weeping & distressed.

She had no way to get to the vet in the next suburb, but lived near his surgery. So she'd brought the budgie to him to see if he could help.

Sadly, he found the bird was dead. And he had to tell her so.

He got his receptionist to take care of her & give her cups of tea. While he went off to buy her another budgie.

I'm glad your vet visit was quick & easy. And I agree that vets & vet nurses do a wonderful job on the frontline of tragedies for pets & their owners.