Cyclone In Nq

Guest bigdogg

I'm in Cape Cleveland, Townsville and have had personal visits from SES and Rural Fire in our area urging evacuations for all Cungulla/Cape Cleveland residents. I think we will heed their warnings and head to higher ground.

Our area is pretty sandy, so self draining, but our water table is only about 1ft down at the moment due to our wet season so far, so I fear that with a 4m storm surge, there will be no where for water to go. The winds I think the house will handle... we live in Forte Knox pretty much... gotta love old cement filled bessa block homes!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently this cyclone has progressed 400 kms closer to Queensland in 6 hours!!!! This is massive. Thanks to whoever provided that satellite image(radar thingy earlier). Please everyone up north be safe, look after your dogs, evacuate early! And let us know when you can that you and your families are OK!

im moving out tonight (live in tsville) and not sure when and if i will get back on. schools are closed for next three days, and there is a ban on driving after 8 am tomorrow morning. expecting 125 km an hour winds here tomorrow morning and expected to take 16 hours to cross the coast so that is going to mean some MAJOR destruction everywhere. looking at a 5 metre storm surge.

edited to add: not leaving townsville, just moving in with family as i dont want to be a sooky la la by myself (not that you can get a plane ticket or train ticket if you tried)

Edited by sllebasi

im moving out tonight (live in tsville) and not sure when and if i will get back on. schools are closed for next three days, and there is a ban on driving after 8 am tomorrow morning. expecting 125 km an hour winds here tomorrow morning and expected to take 16 hours to cross the coast so that is going to mean some MAJOR destruction everywhere. looking at a 5 metre storm surge.

oh geez :S my dogs breeder is in tsv hope everyone stays safe

12.55pm About 100 cats and dogs will board flights to safety on Tuesday as the RSPCA moves animals out of the destructive path of Tropical Cyclone Yasi.

The RSPCA's Townsville shelter is asking all pet owners to check whether they have animals at the shelter and have dropped collection charges in a bid to empty the pound, RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said.

Dogtainers and Toll Air Express will help relocate close to 100 animals from Townsville to Brisbane with the first shipment flying out on Tuesday, he said.

The animals will briefly stop over at Brisbane's Fairfield shelter, which is still being repaired after the city's floods, before being moved into foster care or re-homed through other southeast Queensland shelters.

StoryLink

Stay safe and ready to evacuate. This does look very serious.

Mackay here. I've had no reason to go near the beaches to see what's going on there. My suburb is busy, folk filling gas bottles, visiting Woolies etc. Generators sold out! We were here for Ului last March, also the floods of 2008. This one ramps it up.

La Lola isn't overly fearful and will be under the internal steps with us of course if it comes to that.

Cyclone roller shutters look good for a window upgrade.

We're in the west, at the western edge of the cyclone warning area. Cyclones don't normally get this far inland but they are saying this one could go even past us. That will be a first for me. Our town isn't exactly cyclone proof like much of the coast is (a bit). Have a good friend in Townsville who was considering evacuating to us, but given that the storm is expected to go to Cairns now, then track to us, she may be better off staying there. We will get cut off by road for maybe a couple of weeks, and her son has special dietary needs, which will be difficult to meet under normal circumstances in a remote outback town, let alone one cut off by road. We have a large supply of rice, tinned food, powerded milk and flour.

Stay safe everyone.

:grouphug:

Dumb question, but is the size of the system

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/satellite/

Hi REadySetGo,

Is there a word missing from your question?

Here is a picture showing the size of the associated cloud mass compared to the state of QLD. Pretty awesome. In the very true sense of the word.

I heard somewhere that cyclonic winds will be felt across a 500km wide area. It is so much bigger than they normally are. It has everyones attention.

We have a friend who had gone to Innisfail to work on a banana farm over the wet. He is coming home today. He says people are just leaving Innisfail in droves. He reckoned everyone is just getting out. Fast.

Hope everyone stays safe, I went thru cyclone Larry, and not looking forward to Yasi!!

Same here and also not looking forward to Yasi. I'm in the same area as you (Wondecla).

Everyone in Cairns is being evacuated to high ground and the Atherton Tablelands - I'm not sure if that is a good idea as we are also going to cop a lot of the storm but we aren't going to cop the storm surge.

I would be evacuating but it would take me too long to get out of the way of this Cyclone and take the animals with me. Larry was scary mainly because we had a lot of things around the yard that would have made great missiles, this time that is all cleaned up and we just have to finish getting the things off the veranda and make sure we have the dogs beds moved inside.

I am also hoping my work decides that No we don't have to work or I might be stuck there. But head office tells them if we can close or not and our company is hungry for money :laugh:

I wish that the government would come up with a way to evacuate animals because all information about evacuations say "leave any pets with plenty of food and water"

If I'm evacuating so is my animals.... this system just makes that difficult.

Lets see how much of the news will have the after effects of the this cyclone? and what areas it shows?

edited to add: not leaving townsville, just moving in with family as i dont want to be a sooky la la by myself (not that you can get a plane ticket or train ticket if you tried)

Where is the information on the driving ban listed?? Haven 't heard anything about that, but would be handy to know. What areas does this apply to??

I have parents in Cairns. Town is very busy with people preparing. They are very use to getting cyclone warnings, but this one has scared them. I may not hear from them for a few days, as they do not have mobile coverage at their house, (Gordonvale) and it depends what the aftermath is like as to whether they can drive down the road to get signal.

Apparently the price of flights out of there have sky rocketed. My father has been in Brisbane for a few days and is currently on an emergency flight back into Cairns so that he can go home and start preparing.

It looks massive. I hope everyone stays safe. :laugh: