Cyclone In Nq

Guest bigdogg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in Townsville too, going by the maps a safe area from the storm surge. We are staying if anyone gets desperate for animal accomodation drop me a line, I will check back tomorrow morning (we're in Kirwan) can't promise safety but more then willing to try and help out.

ABC Radio's been talking by phone to people in Cairns as they make their preparations. Two families so far have said they're going to stay at family or friends' houses that they think may be safer. Both talked about how they're taking their pets with them. One has 2 dogs & she said the bathroom will be mighty crowded at her rellie's place as there'll be a pile of adults & 4 dogs huddled in there at the worst.

The other said they're taking their dog & pet snake with them. One earlier in the day worried me. It was an older lady who seemed to have a unit close to the waterfront. She said she was staying.

That is terrible that it is now category 5, the exact opposite of what were all hoping for. Stay stafe everyone up that way. Terrible watching as I have some really nice relatives that live in Cairns, and also a really lovely lady who has my favorite pup from my last litter, so they are all going to get a real battering.

This is truly an awful cyclone...be safe (run away is the best plan)

ABC link.... http://www.abc.net.au/news/

Yep, put the stuff you care about in the car and drive inland and south. about 800km should do it.

Keep safe people. Staying put sounds like a plan to be avoided IMO. This thing's going to be a strong as Cyclone Tracy and if it hits a residential area, there won't BE homes to take shelter in. They will be ripped apart. Google a photo of Darwin post Tracy for an indication of what to expect. :eek: Here's one.

Cyclone_tracy_aerial_view_darwin.jpg

And another

BXHM0344.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

Gosh I hope you are wrong Poodlefan. Building criteria are much stricter now. Hopefully that means you are wrong. Hopefully.

250km an hour winds.. and plenty of buildings that predate 1974. Do the math.

There is no way in hell I'd be staying put in the path of this thing. All I can say is expect casualties. If people aren't scared shitless, they should be.

You won't see anyone I know that survived Tracy volunteeering to stay put for a second bout with one.

I think most people are pretty worried. Even people who have lived in NQ all their lives and been through many many cyclones. Everyone knows this one is different. We've known for nearly a week really that this one had the potential to do this. Everyone was hoping it wouldn't.

I think also that people who went through Larry are being particularly careful. Many many people are getting out. Many people were coming west to be safe here, but they are now rehashing their plans because we will have our own problems with cat 1 and immense rainfall.

I'm so glad I'm not in Cairns or Innisfail.

Anyway, I don't know if the building regulations are tight enough to withstand cat 5 anyway. I'm a little surprised that they haven't been evacuating more people, because like you, I see the potential for this to mow down a town. Hope not though.

I just watched an animation of wind speeds and it said the purple was the most dangerous damaging wind. It was purple where I live. 500km inland. They even had a label on my town, so I know I'm not just interpreting the map wrong (we often have to sort of guess where we are on a weather map).

I think most people are pretty worried. Even people who have lived in NQ all their lives and been through many many cyclones. Everyone knows this one is different. We've known for nearly a week really that this one had the potential to do this. Everyone was hoping it wouldn't.

I think also that people who went through Larry are being particularly careful. Many many people are getting out. Many people were coming west to be safe here, but they are now rehashing their plans because we will have our own problems with cat 1 and immense rainfall.

I'm so glad I'm not in Cairns or Innisfail.

Anyway, I don't know if the building regulations are tight enough to withstand cat 5 anyway. I'm a little surprised that they haven't been evacuating more people, because like you, I see the potential for this to mow down a town. Hope not though.

I just watched an animation of wind speeds and it said the purple was the most dangerous damaging wind. It was purple where I live. 500km inland. They even had a label on my town, so I know I'm not just interpreting the map wrong (we often have to sort of guess where we are on a weather map).

Yep, the power of this thing means it will retain a lot of momentum for a long way inland.

I worked with people (when I was in the Navy) who helped with the Tracy clean up. There was little to no evacuation for pets. They were shot. People need to get them out and go with them. You won't be trotting down the supermarket for food for them and there won't be any power.

News just said that it could still increase to a high category 5, with winds exceeding 320 km per hour. This is just too big to fathom. I'm nervous, and I'm sitting here in Sydney, and so worried about the next 24 hours.

Apparently the energy of the storm is enough to power to whole world for an entire year. Whoa!! Unbelievable.

Edited by VJB