Maltese, Havanese & Bichon

melzawelza

Hello lovelies!

I posted recently about my aunty being interested in Silky Terriers - well we've branched out into the other non-shedders during our research and I was hoping anyone who had any info could post it in this thread - and i'd really love any breeder recommendations if people want to PM them to me! I'm a big dog person so I don't know a huge amount about the littlies.

Havanese - I read the breeds 101 thread which gave me lots of info, i'd just love to know what health tests we should be checking for and the average price.

Maltese - I couldn't find a breed 101 OR a breed sub forum thread!!! What's going on, I thought these little guys were so popular! I'd love to know about temperament pros & cons, recommended health testing and average price.

Bichon - same as maltese.

If anyone has any info on these guys i'd love to hear it ( even better if you know two of the breeds and can compare them to each other!) and i'd really really love breeder recommendations.

Thanks so much!

Mel

A smaller dog means that you have to bend to treat - make sure that you/ aunty is comfortable with this throughout the dog's life. There's also the "big dog trapped in a small body" syndrome. None of these are bad, just the nature of small dogs.

Regarding Maltese, there's an article that states that it's the most common (pure?) breed surrendered to RSPCA because of excessive barking. Not because of the breed, but the owners treating them as furry kids (which tend to happen when your dog is white & fluffy).

I'm researching for a 2nd dog as well (2nd in our current pack - have had over 20 all these years). Current candidates are: Havanese, Coton, Toy Poodle & Westie :eek:

We currently have a 1.5yo male Bichon, and previously we owned a lovely old girl who passed in Feb last year. Bichons were our first breed (big family--parents, 2 girls, 1 boy who is mildly autistic).

Bichons would be my go between all 3 choices. They don't shed (and you can clip them short rather than bothering with the breed clip--see my sig), hardly bark for a small breed, are playful and extremely good-natured. Our boy loves EVERYONE. He came from a pound so who knows what he went through, but he is just lovely and friendly. They're also excellent at agility and obedience--want to please and don't have a lot of the 'attitude' small breeds tend to. They are medium to low energy, probably just need a 1/2 hour walk a day. Jag gets a lot more exercise than that but they are fairly adaptable. Overall they're just brilliant little things with great dispositions.

As for health tests, you want them to be free of: elbow and hip dysplasia, eye clearance, and patellar luxation. The average price should be around 600-800? We paid around 300 for our first girl but suspect it was BYB.

Don't forget the Lowchen ;) It's the one Bichon type breed available that you missed. :laugh:

I find Lowchen and Bichon Frise are the most active and animated of the 4 Bichon types in Australia. Havanese are dinky charming little guys, who like to play. Maltese are at the sweeter end, still active and alert.

I love the rough and tumble of a Lowchen, they are the sort to pick themselves up when they fall over and keep going. They have high pain thresholds and a real zest for life. The typical temperament is very people friendly, not shy about much and very quick to pick up on things. They love their food so clicker training is super easy, and you are never worrying if they'll eat tonight.

Lowchen do bark, and I've heard Bichon Frise have been known to be vocal too... But it's a big dog bark and not a yap.

You don't have to have them in the Lion trim, they can be all over shaggy and come in a huge assortment of colours, some of which hide dirt very well. :laugh:

Ah!! How could I forget the Lowchen!! They could be perfect for her, as her husband prefers a dog that isn't all white - she liked the Havanese for this reason but we're pretty sure they're going to be out of her price range from snippets we've seen.

So lowchen are also non-shedding? Can you tell menof any health tests that should be done? And are you aware of the general ball park for their pricing?

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I have a 14 1/2 year old maltese - so they can live to a good age. All up - I have a maltese, shih tzu, poodle and cavalier - and of the 4, the maltese is the breed I'd go for first, again. They are real companion dogs and love a good sit on your lap. Mine has never been a barker - though when he does bark - he has a big bark - not a yap! I find that though they're long haired - their hair doesn't hold prickles as much as some of other types of coats. Can be finicky eaters - and not good chewers -so regular teeth cleaning becomes a bit of an issue. Can also suffer luxating patellars (though ours has never caused a problem - it occasionally slipped out - but would right itself fairly quickly). They are also one of the breeds that is genetically more predisposed to developing glaucoma of the eye (which can lead to blindness) but this didn't happen to our little man until recently. Overall, I have found them to be a beautiful natured dog, they love everyone - and everyone who comes to our house favours the maltese over the other dogs. They like to keep themselves tidy - but are always up for a walk, a run on the beach - and in fact, our little guy used to go hiking with us (10-15km's) when he was young. People used to laugh and think we probably carried him - but they are quite robust. I love the breed - but don't know much about the other breeds you've mentioned.

I have two lowchen and love them to bits (though they may not suit everyone). My parents have a havanese. I'm no expert but here's a bit about them from my experiences.

The lowchen love to greet me when I get home and follow me around everywhere. I often joke there is an invisible three metre circle around me that they like to stay inside. They're very funny and clown-like and love people. Mine love to splash in their water dish and burrow into piles of clean laundry when they're being naughty.

My parents' havanese (compared to my dogs) loves exploring things in the yard, may be a little easier to train and definitely barks more. The three of them all get on really well and these differences may not be totally indicative of these breeds.

Are you considering toy or mini poodles if your aunt needs non-shedding?

Ah!! How could I forget the Lowchen!! They could be perfect for her, as her husband prefers a dog that isn't all white - she liked the Havanese for this reason but we're pretty sure they're going to be out of her price range from snippets we've seen.

So lowchen are also non-shedding? Can you tell menof any health tests that should be done? And are you aware of the general ball park for their pricing?

For allergies, I highly recommend the person interact with the breed. There is a bit of diversity in their hair (much like the Havanese) so better to do a "trial run" with one. They are not true shedders (like spitz or smooth coated breeds) but will drop some hair (so low shedding) but I've known people who drop more hair than my dogs. :rolleyes:

I would say the ball park for a pet Lowchen is $700 - $900. Some will sell for less, some for more.

Testing - Knees and Eyes for parents, knees for pups.

I run an online database of health results for Lowchen at http://www.lowchenworld.com/health

My neighbour across the road has two Bichon Frises indoor dogs and they bark alot, they are definatley vocal.

Unless they get a lot of exercise, they're probably bored shiteless.

Toy breeds still need a good daily walk.

Only cautionary note I'd have about Bichons would be a tendency to skin issues.

I'd add Toy Poodles to the list.

Lowenhart has a very good point about allergies. I looked at these breeds because of my allergies, so I spent time with lowchen on several occasions to make sure I didn't get itchy. But my friend who is also allergic to dogs sneezes when she comes over and visits my doggies!

I have two lowchen and love them to bits (though they may not suit everyone). My parents have a havanese. I'm no expert but here's a bit about them from my experiences.

The lowchen love to greet me when I get home and follow me around everywhere. I often joke there is an invisible three metre circle around me that they like to stay inside. They're very funny and clown-like and love people. Mine love to splash in their water dish and burrow into piles of clean laundry when they're being naughty.

My parents' havanese (compared to my dogs) loves exploring things in the yard, may be a little easier to train and definitely barks more. The three of them all get on really well and these differences may not be totally indicative of these breeds.

Are you considering toy or mini poodles if your aunt needs non-shedding?

Hello it is the Aunty here. Thanks for your reply. I have just lost my darling silky/maltese girl after 12 years.

I always planned getting another silky/maltese, but am now because of the advice I have received about genetic testing etc I am considering the pedigree option.

I am not considering a poodle because of their associated health problems. I know that all dogs have some but the poodles pancreatic cancer is not very nice. (my sister had one lovely lovely boy).

I was worried that the Lowchens may not be 'cuddly' as I would love to cuddle up at the end of the day. :-) Are your Lowchens happy to turn in to lapdogs at the end of the day? I believe the Havanese are very happy to sit on laps.

Would love to hear more advice.

I vote Maltese :wave: They are absolutely adorable, have beautiful personalities and are little enough that elderly people can lift them up and control them on lead easily.

Mine loves to play however her favourite thing to do is cuddle on the sofa and watch tv (or sleep while people are watching tv).

She does bark but generally only if there is someone hanging around out front.

They are a fairly healthy breed - only issues i would watch out for are liver shunts and luxating patellas.

Oh yes mine loooove to cuddle. They are very affectionate and just need to be near you. They come in the bathroom when I am in the shower, when I sit on the couch they are either on my lap or beside me or at my feet. Mine love snuggling on the bed too, shhh!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. It is great to hear you are interested in a pure breed dog. Before I knew about lowchen, I had adopted dogs from the pound, which is great, but I like the predictability of personality and the health guarantee of a pure bred.