100 Huskies Slaughtered In Canada After Games

The person was ordered to kill these 100 dogs over two days by the company that had used the Huskies as a tourist attraction for a Dog Sled Ride attraction during the Winter Olympics last year has been awarded post traumatic stress disorder conpensation.

Apparently this only came to light because he sought compensation due to the stress he felt after doing this horrific act.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was me in July 10. Can't believe these tour operators would do something like that! Makes me sick to my stomach that I paid for it! My tour was in Alaska does anyone know if this company was the same one as the one in Canada (presumably Whistler)?

I agree that the news is pretty horrific. I happen to live not far from Vancouver, which is the major news hub for Whistler and the rest BC, and it is all over the news right now - it's a HUGE deal here, running as the lead story on all of the TV and radio stations. And everyone is just as outraged by the slaughter as here on DOL.

But, in saying that, why would you feel sick to your stomach for paying for a tour in Alaska???? Assuming that all sled dog tour operators are killing off their dogs in such a gruesome fashion, simply because one did, is pretty silly. I think that is reasonably safe to say that the majority of sled dog tour operators are reeling in horror at the news right now, just like the rest of us. Not to mention the economic impact they now face as people react by assuming that ALL dog tour businesses are bad because this one is.

(Definite parallel here to blame the deed, not the breed, don't you think?... only in this case, it should read "blame the company, not the whole industry")

I just saw that news article on Yahoo News :thumbsup: How disgusting !!

"The way this employee describes it, it's a massacre absolutely, a criminal code offence. These dogs were killed in front of the other dogs that were all tethered up."

The man's personal injury lawyer Cory Steinberg told news radio station CKNW, "It wasn't always a clean, one-shot kill. Inevitably he ended up seeing and having to put the end to some horrific scenes."

The incident took place at Howling Dog Tours in Whistler, British Columbia."

Shut them down for good !!

How on earth could anyone do that, the employee should have refused to do it.. no sympathy for him.

RIP beautiful dogs.

Rach I was hoping you wouldn't see this! I bet you run around the house hugging all your fur babies after reading it. Why couldn't they just rehome them? I hope they are found and are never able to own an animal again let alone profit from them.

As soon as I read the topic 100 huskies slaughtered, I thought what the?

If I had not of seen it here, I would of seen it on the yahoo news as it's on there also today. :D

I cannot understand how that oxygen thief was compensated. He was the one who killed them. If I had of been in his shoes, I would of SPOKEN UP - ran to the police and every newspaper and television channel to report it. There is no way I could of stood by and let those dogs die, letalone be the one to KILL them. He should be held accountable.

What kind of person could go through with something like that????

To think of them all tethered up waiting in line and seeing what was happening before them haunts me. To think what they went through in their final moments rips my heart out. :D :D :D

And I agree, I am sure IF they had of tried they could of rehomed them. Such a tragedy.

R.I.P. Beautiful ones - you deserved so much better. :thumbsup:

To think of them all tethered up waiting in line and seeing what was happening before them haunts me. To think what they went through in their final moments rips my heart out. :thumbsup: :D :D

Agreed. Its possibly the most horrific case of dog abuse both in terms of the act itself andf the scale of it that I've ever heard of.

It's hard to believe something like this could happen in a civilised country like Canada where people know, love and respect the husky almost as part of their national identity.

They're still clubbing harp seal pups to death with Govt approval. It's a mentality. :thumbsup:

Oh please! What has the Harp Seal hunt got to do with this thread?

And what "mentality" are you talking about?

...It's hard to believe something like this could happen in a civilised country like Canada where people know, love and respect the husky almost as part of their national identity.

Agree with you 100% on this one. It is very disturbing to me, as a Canadian.

They're still clubbing harp seal pups to death with Govt approval. It's a mentality. :thumbsup:

Oh please! What has the Harp Seal hunt got to do with this thread?

And what "mentality" are you talking about?

...It's hard to believe something like this could happen in a civilised country like Canada where people know, love and respect the husky almost as part of their national identity.

Agree with you 100% on this one. It is very disturbing to me, as a Canadian.

I thought that might offend. :D

Look, I love canadians, I married one and we did travel to some small towns that frankly when the tourist season is over they just become a handful of locals. People move on, go to their other job or other homes. eta: which might explain how this didn't come to light until a claim for distress was lodged.

And yes it is a mentality: not exclusive to canadians. Harp seal, kangaroo, brumbies, dolphins - they may not be pets but deserve a humane death. We're upset because it's dogs this time but I'm guessing the person who decided a bullet and mass grave was cheaper had the kind of mentality I'm talking about.

Edited by Powerlegs

The bastard who carried out these cullings is Bob Fawcett. Now I'm pretty sure that it is the same Bob Fawcett who is the VP of Mush With Pride - http://www.mushwithpride.org/Board_of_directors.htm. What a f#@*%n hypocrite and a coward!!! May he rot in hell :D

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/...1/17104521.html - Link to news article from the Calgary Sun

Edited to add: I've just been told by a friend in Canada that this isn't the first time he's done something like this :thumbsup:

Edited by idigadog