100 Huskies Slaughtered In Canada After Games

They're still clubbing harp seal pups to death with Govt approval. It's a mentality. :(

Oh please! What has the Harp Seal hunt got to do with this thread?

And what "mentality" are you talking about?

...It's hard to believe something like this could happen in a civilised country like Canada where people know, love and respect the husky almost as part of their national identity.

Agree with you 100% on this one. It is very disturbing to me, as a Canadian.

I thought that might offend. :(

Look, I love canadians, I married one and we did travel to some small towns that frankly when the tourist season is over they just become a handful of locals. People move on, go to their other job or other homes. eta: which might explain how this didn't come to light until a claim for distress was lodged.

And yes it is a mentality: not exclusive to canadians. Harp seal, kangaroo, brumbies, dolphins - they may not be pets but deserve a humane death. We're upset because it's dogs this time but I'm guessing the person who decided a bullet and mass grave was cheaper had the kind of mentality I'm talking about.

It's the mentality of an individual who doesn't value these dogs as anything more than a comodity and when the comodity began to become a liability..a clumsy cull was his solution. Poor things were not even afforded a humane ending which of course would have cost big big bucks in those numbers.

As stated previously the same mentality that culled these dogs after an expedition rather than bring them home to keep costs down. And, may I add, done in BOTH hemispheres.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Press release from the President of Mush with Pride Karen Ramstead.

From Mush with P.R.I.D.E.’s President, Karen Ramstead…

We are shocked and saddened to hear that one of Mush with P.R.I.D.E.’s Board members is being implicated in the mass killing of sled dogs in Whistler, British Columbia. The Board has passed a motion to remove Bob Fawcett from the Board of Mush with P.R.I.D.E. immediately.

Euthanasia should not be used for population control and what happened in this case is simply unacceptable. No responsible sled dog owner or caregiver treats dogs in this manner.

Mush with P.R.I.D.E. was created by mushers who love their dogs and feel strongly about promoting responsible and humane sled dog care. We are dismayed that the organization so many of us are passionate about is being tainted by this situation. It is revolting that those of us who take care of our dogs from puppies to geriatrics may be forced to wear the sins of those responsible for this atrocity.

Please bear with us as we struggle to come to terms with this horrid situation.

What worries me MP, is that it is a known fact that this isn't the first time he has performed such revolting acts. How on earth it was swept under the carpet before let alone he be able to hold the position he did on MWP is beyond me!!

You can't convince me that Karen nor the other board members didn't know of his previous crimes or atleast 'heard the rumours' and investigated.

What worries me MP, is that it is a known fact that this isn't the first time he has performed such revolting acts. How on earth it was swept under the carpet before let alone he be able to hold the position he did on MWP is beyond me!!

You can't convince me that Karen nor the other board members didn't know of his previous crimes or atleast 'heard the rumours' and investigated.

I agree ID. I find it hard to accept that no one asked what happened to these dogs or knew about it.

It's not like it just happened.

I have always admired Karen and her Sibe team. I would be even more saddened if Karen did know or suspect. :)

why does someone say these dogs are not suitable as pets, what a total crock. They didn't even try, didn't even blink. They are money makers, no use for them so kill them. Held in his arms my arse :o:(:rofl: ;) :eek: :D :D

Anf don't anyone come on here and say they aren't suitable as pets...I met a guy on the plane who has 25 dogs, he rehomes as pets if they can't run endurance. He breeds the dogs, trains the dogs, loves the dogs. Working dogs, even police dogs can live as pets. Poor poor dogs I am so bloody mad

I am heart sick at what was done to these poor dogs. They are used as pleasure toys and disposed of when no longer of use. Not sure if anyone else noticed in photos but I don't think that all these poor dogs were actually huskies not that it lessens the impact of this horrific act of cruelty. Some of these dogs came across as not enjoying what they were supposed to do as in pulling sleds and actually looked quite frightened and sad.

Not sure if anyone else noticed in photos but I don't think that all these poor dogs were actually huskies not that it lessens the impact of this horrific act of cruelty.

They were Alaskan Huskies.

A task force has now been set up to investigate this tragedy http://www.theprovince.com/health/Sled+ope...l#ixzz1CpxGLEb5. Picture of Bob Fawcett in there.

Sled dog tours in Whistler have now been suspended pending further investigation. What a nightmare :) If government authorities were looking for an excuse to ban sled dog sports, they certainly have fuel to do it now :o

Edited by idigadog

I think that the owners of the dogs and the guy who did the slaying should all be accountable. The owners for ordering and the slayer for, well, doing it. He should have reported it to the authorities rather than continuing with the killings. PSTD? Yes, I can believe that, but he should have said no; I mean it's not like they held a gun to his head to do the deed. :bottom: :D

I have on another site, a link to the entire incident report about this whole ting, i will not post it unless requested as it was very graphic in detail , i am a pretty ard tempered person but it honestly shook me up to read it all. And to be honest i did feel extremely bad for the man that did the task once i read it. No excuse but at the same time the description is enough to let you realise he is only human he did not want to do this and he was slightly desensitised to doing it, he had actualy been told he had PTSD from a previous incident, it realy made me think the previous exposure set him up to look at the as stock but his relationship with the dogs could not be ignored. It would be the same type of stress as going to war i think the doctor had said.

If any members would like to see this either pm me it is kind of detailed and dont want to break any site rules..

I have already read the report. Just shameful :provoke:

I have absolutely no sympathy for this b@#$%#d. Any 'normal' person would have said, 'stuff your job, I'm not doing it!" He is supposedly a lover of dogs, a guardian of the breed, an example to the rest of us mushers, a fellow racer with maximum exposure to the sled dog world and beyond. A person who holds a high position within 'Mush With Pride', an organisation that frowns upon abuse of any kind.

He's a joke. He should be strung up, not paid compensation for doing something that most humans wouldn't be able to do in a million years. To be perfectly honest, I hope he never lays eyes on another living, breathing creature again because he doesn't deserve the chance.

Do I come across as disgusted and angry? You bet I am :laugh:

• 2 months later...

LINK

SPCA To Exhume Dead Sled Dogs

The Province May 1, 2011 1:06 AM

The B.C. SPCA has obtained a warrant to exhume the bodies of an estimated 100 sled dogs that were culled in Whistler last year by their owner and operator, Outdoor Adventures.

A press conference outlining the animal protection enforcement agency's plan is scheduled for today.

The SPCA first learned of the incident in January after the dogs' killer, Robert Fawcett, filed a WorkSafe B.C. report claiming post-traumatic stress from the shootings, but have had to wait until now while the ground thawed to exhume the mass grave for forensic evidence.

He's a joke. He should be strung up, not paid compensation for doing something that most humans wouldn't be able to do in a million years. To be perfectly honest, I hope he never lays eyes on another living, breathing creature again because he doesn't deserve the chance.

Exactly. Slitting a dog's throat is not in any way a humane way to PTS, shooting with multiple bullets even worse, let alone the fact that he allowed the other dogs to watch while it was done. He should have the book thrown at him, with whatever animal welfare charges they can make stick over there. I don't care if his workplace told him to do it, he was the one that did it.

Exactly. Slitting a dog's throat is not in any way a humane way to PTS, shooting with multiple bullets even worse, let alone the fact that he allowed the other dogs to watch while it was done. He should have the book thrown at him, with whatever animal welfare charges they can make stick over there. I don't care if his workplace told him to do it, he was the one that did it.

I totally agree. He should get maximum penalty/punishment. :laugh: