Animal Reactions Pre Yasi

mumof3

Of course, when the weather gets rough, our animals will be a little scared.

But what about before hand?

We are 500km inland from where Yasi is expected to hit.

We are being told to prepare for a cylcone - which is a little unusual for us.

Last night, Molly, who is usually a completely sane dog, was decidedly anxious.

She seems ok again now. But she took a long time to settle at my feet last night while I watched TV.

Anyone elses animals pick up on the weather?

Or do you think they are simply reacting to our own anxiety?

Proberly both,do you have crates?

You could make a nice comphy dark cave for them.

Oh, yeah. We're all right. I'm just always fascinated by stories of animals knowing what is happening.

Someone on the news said that all the birds have left the rainforest somewhere along the coast.

Animals like cattle and horses would probably have themselves out of harms way if it weren't for our fences everywhere.

Yep they know alright. When I was living in Marlo on a beef farm Bo my kelpie I had at the time stuck to me like glue all day which was unusual. Late that afternoon we were hit with a mini cyclone that came in off the sea and tore a path off destruction. It suddenly started to get windy and heavy rain. I rushed around shutting doors and windows. The door blew out off my hand and smashed. I couldnt open it to get back inside, I couldnt see a foot in front of myself. I managed to get round to another door and inside only to have the wall one side of the house blow inwards. It was scary stuff and Bo had been telling me something all day I reckon. It was very lucky no one was injured or killed. My OH was up the road in his ute and had to reverse up the road as trees suddenly started falling over the road in front of him.

I went through one catagory 3 and a few red alerts with a staffy cross. She never reacted at all.

Though she was possibly the most laid back dog I've ever known.

Even when we sat up all one night in terror she slept through the whole thing. :eek:

I would have liked to have seen how my puppy behaved yesterday, as on the very first day he was left outside home alone we had a huge storm that blew the doors of our generator shed and the wind and rain came in horizontal hitting the windows 3m in from veranda of our house so he didn't have anywhere dry to sit!

I was 200km away doing grocery shopping and had no idea till I got home poor boy.

I hope that everyone in the cyclone zone will bring their dogs in, mumof3 it is strange to have a cyclone so far inland is your property ok?

I would have liked to have seen how my puppy behaved yesterday, as on the very first day he was left outside home alone we had a huge storm that blew the doors of our generator shed and the wind and rain came in horizontal hitting the windows 3m in from veranda of our house so he didn't have anywhere dry to sit!

I was 200km away doing grocery shopping and had no idea till I got home poor boy.

I hope that everyone in the cyclone zone will bring their dogs in, mumof3 it is strange to have a cyclone so far inland is your property ok?

We're in town. It is all hussle and bustle here. The council has gone beserk cleaning out table drains. There is a persistent gentle breeze coming from the North East. It gives me the creeps.

We should be fine, really, we are going to go through nowhere near as bad as the coast. But we don't have the same building regs. The place next door is full of loose sheet metal and corrugated iron (there was an old hoarder there who died last year but most of his rubbish is still there). I think we are as well prepared as we can be really. Not sure where the line is between sensible preparation and going overboard. I've got about 8 sliding glass doors leading into each of the bedrooms and living areas from the verandah. I'm considering taping them. The verandah is protected by these plastic sliding windows things. They are pretty strong but I don't know if they are strong enough for this. If they go, the glass doors are unprotected. If a glass door breaks, that really leaves the house quite vulnerable. Perhaps I should just go overboard and then be glad nothing much happened....

Sounds like a bad storm that hit your place. We get those freaky storms too. Gusts up to 140kmph etc. This time it is going to be that windy for half a day. Wow.

I lived in Darwin when Monica hit - although it didn't hit Darwin hard at all. We still made all necessary preparations - including emptying our cyclone shelter (we normally use it as a store room). Anyhow, two days before the cyclone was due, my Persian Raven walked into the shelter, planted himself in the corner under a metal shelf and did not move. I fed him in there and the door was open since there was no need to shut him in so he walked out to toilet then straight back in again. It was uncanny - like he knew that was the most safe, stable part of the house!

my dog was slightly upset prior to yasi hitting, but that could be attributed to furniture being moved, and lots of general activity. when the first rainband and windband hit, i put the thundershirt on, and she pretty much went to sleep. a couple of times she went into her crate but then came back out to see what was going on. my dog is usually the biggest sook and would do anything to crawl inside you at the slightest bump so am thinking that the thundershirt had something to do with it. it was on for approx 12 hours and even after i took it off, she was pretty good for a couple of hours. did have to put it back on her later as branches were dropping from the tree but all in all,dog made it through pretty well which was a relief as we didnt really want a super upset dog during the event while we were trying to be calm without power and radio stations.

Guest bigdogg

I have a bitch that is shit scared of lightning and thunder.. My other two dont care at all.

Before and during Yasi - they were inside. They didnt care at all.

My house is very quiet though.. Takes real heavy rain to even hear it on the roof.