What's Wrong About Giving Dogs Human Names?

W Sibs

My youngest 2 dogs got the baby names I really liked and never used. (Indi and Lyla)

I'd rather hear of dogs with human names than people named after fruit.

(It's also better than BIL naming his mastiff x Snatch - yes get a gutter mind and you are thinking correctly, this is a family with young kids :thumbsup: )

I so agree with ALL you have said!! :thumbsup:

Like.......Apple! :thumbsup::) TRAGIC!

My kids have human names because to me they are like people, (my babies), and in most cases they are better than lots of people I know.

I can't see anything wrong with it and I have never had it questioned ever.

I detest some of the names people do call their animals and kids, but we each have our choices and each to their own.

I know of kids called Pleasure, Sky Blue in Love, and Palace!

I know of dogs called Bequeath and Bequest, and in another family Heaven, Earth, River and Sky.

I have just had a girl in asking after a job and her name was Tampon. :):rofl:

Our 24 year old cat is called Billy Jack and when my son was little he aded the name Smith at the end!

Why......... well, we never found out!

People with Deefers and Ceefers just have no imagination and IMHO a name is a very special and important thing, that deserves much thought behind it. :mad

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In saying I also like names/middle names like April or May/Mae.

My youngest 2 dogs got the baby names I really liked and never used. (Indi and Lyla)

I'd rather hear of dogs with human names than people named after fruit.

(It's also better than BIL naming his mastiff x Snatch - yes get a gutter mind and you are thinking correctly, this is a family with young kids :) )

I so agree with ALL you have said!! :)

Like.......Apple! :):( TRAGIC!

My kids have human names because to me they are like people, (my babies), and in most cases they are better than lots of people I know.

I can't see anything wrong with it and I have never had it questioned ever.

I detest some of the names people do call their animals and kids, but we each have our choices and each to their own.

I know of kids called Pleasure, Sky Blue in Love, and Palace!

I know of dogs called Bequeath and Bequest, and in another family Heaven, Earth, River and Sky.

I have just had a girl in asking after a job and her name was Tampon. :laugh::eek:

Our 24 year old cat is called Billy Jack and when my son was little he aded the name Smith at the end!

Why......... well, we never found out!

People with Deefers and Ceefers just have no imagination and IMHO a name is a very special and important thing, that deserves much thought behind it. :party:

Some of those names are horrible! Who would call their kid tampon! :D :D

My dogs have been a mix. Whatever fits them. I do tend to like "people" names better for dogs. I actaully think Bailey and Harely are DOG names and not people names. Lily is another very popular DOG name that i think is a little funny on people.

I had a friend who use to be against "human" names for dogs and would go on rants about it. lol now she has 4 dogs with "human" names! :)

Lesley and Dogfan I've worked in child protection for many years and the names we see for children are appalling. Alcohol and motorbike names, drug names (including prescription medicines!) and then the other is the hideous spellings of made up names. The ones that make me shake my head the most are children not yet old enough to be in primary school who already have a list of alias names they can be known by. Personally never seen a child called Tampon before but it would not surprise me. Dog names seem to be much more tasteful!

I LOVE human names for dogs.

We've got Mac - came with it, short for Macarthur

Bart - came with it

Marie - came with it (pronounced as in Marie-Clair the magazine)

Grover - completely suits Big Stupid and I wish his registered name was "Prefix 'Tis I Grover"

Daphne - hysterical name and my favourite name for ALL of my dogs - suggested by Ready Set Go

Ellie-Mae - well she is a bloodhound so it was kind of obvious though she gets called "Ells Bells" as much as anything else.

Hopefully we'll have a male Fauve to add to our family soon and I've been tossing up all sorts of names but its most likely to be a human name. I like Dennis (though worry that I'll create a "Dennis the Menace". We've also considered, if Marie is pregnant, that we'll go with a theme of the Danish Royal Family as they have a Danish father and Australian mother - the stud dog is Danish. If we do go with that theme it would leave me with Frederick, Christian & Vincent to choose from.

Sadly I've exhausted a lot of my favourite dog names naming rescue dogs :laugh:

Love Ellie - Mae as a name :o

Our Bloodhound is called Earl - Pedigree name 'My name is Earl' - we thought about Jethro (have a nephew called that :o) of Jed - but so glad we went with Earl - it is just so him.

Cody got his name as all my childhood I dreamed of being able to get a dog. I wanted a BC called Chloe and an ACD called Codie. Well I had to wait until I had moved out to get my first dog and he ended up being a mix of the 2 breeds... Cody was easier to make masculine than Chloe :thumbsup:

Delta kinda named herself, I had taken her around to mums after picking her up and she was going through the online lists and everytime she said the name "Delta" this little puppy would stop what she was doing and run over to her. A few hours later I was still there and giving my sister the shortlist of names to get her opinion, when I got to Delta she came flying across the room and jumped into my lap :D The rest is history.

Charlie came with his name, I didn't particularly like it but didn't think it was worth trying to change it with all the paperwork etc so I kept it. I can't think of him as anything else now. In saying that, even before I got him I always thought of Charlie as a dog's name :o

It became a bit of a joke amongst my friends having both dogs (Cody was gone by this point, hence why I got Charlie) named after the phonetic alphabet letters so I named my birds Whiskey and India (Indi). I also like the name Echo for a dog but couldn't go for a third phonetic alphabet name because that would no longer be coincidence :D

When it came time to picking a name for my new pup I had moved right away from human names. I was right into dog sports and wanted names that would be quick off the tongue but also having speedy/agile/athletic type meanings. So, the new pup was named "Whip".

There are a few dogs called Rebecca or Becky out there which I find a bit weird LOL but then my flatmate is Tammy and there are alot more of them out there!!!

All of our animals have/had human names. I truly love bland human names for animals - if we get a boy sometime, I like Simon, Dennis, Kevin, Graeme, Stephen. I have more trouble coming up with female names that fit the bill - we had Margaret, maybe Cheryl (these are both names of my aunties, as it happens :thumbsup:). Our next girl will probably be Freya.

• 9 months later...

I've always had prodominately human names for my pets. My first pets were Sophie (angelfish) and Sally (cat) when I was 4... my parents were perplexed, lol.

Dogs:

Rocky- (Balboa) he's wuss! Though my dad wanted to call him weetbix...

Sadie

Tess

Reggie (Reginald)

Cats:

Sally

Misty (sister's cat)

Brutus

Calliope (Callie)

Angelo-my vets love his name, said thry've never had an Angelo before!

Misc.

Lucy, Jack, Button, Abbey, Augustus, Ferdinand, Domino, Fred, Pepper and Squeak, Houdini, Tigger, Barry, Vanda, George, Zeus, Hades, Neptune, Josephine, Napoleon, Patches, Pretty Mamma, Bambi, Paulo, Beast, Jiggly, Wiggly, Giggly, Squiggly and Quiggley, Ouchie Peck, Kirabo, Ayo abd Ife, Sherlock, Willis......

What IS a dog name? I've seen kids named Fifi and Poppy... I thought those were dog names?

All of our dogs had "people" names, Sammy, Roy, Poppy, Libby, Lottie, Elsie.

We had a breeder rehome named Cricket, never heard a person named that, but wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by DiscoDobe

I seem to end up with uh sounding names, Kirra, Sasha, Jedda (with Maggie being the odd one out).

My niece goes to school with a child called "My Darling" (poor kid). I doubt we'll ever see a dog with that as their formal name although plenty are probably called it at times :D

well by tradition clydedales have human names...

an old fashioned thing.. apart for the normal starlight and baldy.

at home we have lester, ned, matilda, freya and gayle. traditionally the pre fix is in front...

non horse people don't understand prefix so i just say horses have their last (family name) first....

even 5yo kids can work that one out...

you can relasitcally call your dog any thing you like... so long as its a sookie wookie snuggley buggley tone.... they can't give a crapola...

I have a Max, which is a very common human name for dogs except she's a girl, not a boy.

Whenever I said "her name is Max" people go "oh, Maxine" and it drives me nuts. If her name was Maxine, I would have introduced her as Maxine! She's Max, just Max.

Most of the dogs I know from the park have human names - Jack, Audrey, Cruz (ok, that's borderline human!), Tyler, Ace, Ollie.

I don't think it's uncommon, but I love the stories people often have for why they named their dog what they did.