What Do You Expect To Pay...

Danielle

How much do you expect a groomer to charge for a small dog clip?

The reason I ask is that I had a lady call me yesterday enquiring about prices, she asked what I charge for a Maltese and I responded with $50 for a full clip including bath, nails, ears etc. I was told I was way too expensive and that she thought it would be around $20!

$20 for an hour and a half of my time?! Nooooo.

Ive moved out to Stanthorpe (small town) from Brisbane. I've dropped my prices since living here, used to charge about $55 for small dog clip. I can't drop it anymore otherwise it won't be worth my time even doing it. So do you think $50 is reasonable? I do, but I want to know what others think.

I know I'm not in the big smoke anymore and have altered my prices accordingly, but it just isn't feasible to drop them further. I don't know of any other groomers who charge $20 for a full clip, that's ridiculous. Thankfully I've built up a nice group of clientele who are happy to pay what I ask, but this lady has got me wondering...

Edited by Danielle

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minimum wage is about $35 an hour isnt it?

If you're spending an hour and a half of your time on a dog, charging less than $50 is charity. That doesn't even factor in costs of equipment and product.

Maybe explaining how long it takes might make people rethink how cheap they want it done for. I imagine some think you give the dog a 10 minute shave to the skin and that's it.

I think your price sounds very reasonable. In think the thing is people don't realize the time and effort it takes to groom a dog and that's not taking into account if you get one that is fully matted that hasn't had a proper groom for ages. I groom my 4 myself and constantly have people/friends ask me where I take them, on saying I do it myself they ask if I will do theirs, my answer is always NO. I love doing my own but it's not something I would like to do for other people/dogs.

I am in awe of dog groomers ( good ones) it's not always an easy job.

A bit off topic, a lady who came to our obedince school with her pup, he was an oodle, ( cav x poo I think) he was fluffy and about 5 months old, no knots at all. She took him to a groomer here in town and she didn't know what to ask for she just said give him a hair cut. Well he looked like the groomer had used a 10 blade all over, he had no fur left at all. I was horrified. Is that a usual practice?

I think your price sounds very reasonable. In think the thing is people don't realize the time and effort it takes to groom a dog and that's not taking into account if you get one that is fully matted that hasn't had a proper groom for ages. I groom my 4 myself and constantly have people/friends ask me where I take them, on saying I do it myself they ask if I will do theirs, my answer is always NO. I love doing my own but it's not something I would like to do for other people/dogs.

A bit off topic, a lady who came to our obedince school with her pup, he was an oodle, ( cav x poo I think) he was fluffy and about 5 months old, no knots at all. She took him to a groomer here in town and she didn't know what to ask for she just said give him a hair cut. Well he looked like the groomer had used a 10 blade all over, he had no fur left at all. I was horrified. Is that a usual practice?

Ditto. I groom mine but I'm not volunteering to do others. It's a lot of work, even on well mannered dogs.

Judging by what I've witnessed at places like Petbarn, "short all over" is a pretty common request - my guess is from owners who have their dogs shaved down a couple of times a year. It always horrifies me to see them 'scalped. :)

Edited by poodlefan

$50-$55 is the standard pricing for small dogs like Malts...dont change your pricing just to accommodate 1 crazy person or they will all expect it!! If you're good at what you do, people will come!

I once had a person ring that said i was too expensive as she only paid $35. I told her thats fine, get your $35 then bring it to me and ill fix it for $55 lol...she came to me and is now a very regular customer who has referred many people!

So stick to your guns! Dont cheapen yourself because people have a misconception of the amount of time and work that goes into the process!

@Tlc - there are groomers out there unfortunately who will ONLY do shaves on dogs cos they dont have a clue what theyre doing! then there are groomers who have been doing proper hair cuts who really just now do it for the money so they change to shaves cos its much faster and easier and they can do more in a day. Then, there are groomers who try to do anything to keep a dog fluffy if the owner wants, but not to the point of brushing out a completely matted coat and injuring the dog.

Dogs shouldnt really need to be shaved unless

A- the owner has specifically asked for it

B- the dog is completely matted

C- it the dog has skin issues and vets have said it needs to happen for the health of the dog.

My opinions only really... :)

My groomer charges $50 each for my two dogs, though I'm aware that I get 'mates rates' as I've been going to her for twenty years. I think that that's cheap for a hydrobath, clipping; nails trimmed; etc., and she's very kind and efficient,too, and my dogs really like her. I'd pay more if she asked, and I know that she charges other people more than she does me.

$50 is an acceptable price and you shouldn't apologise for it. If people complain about your charges tell them that they should chose a short-haired dog in future and/or learn to groom themselves. To me, it's just an additional cost of owning long-haired dogs and part and parcel of our obligation to them.

Depends on the groomer. I won't ever "shave" a dog off, it horrifies me to see what some groomers do. There is another groomer here that shaves poodles off, including their topknot!

I was taught old school methods thank goodness, and try to style a dog rather than hack their hair off. I'd be inclined to tell your friend to go elsewhere or next time really specify what she wants. :)

Danielle, I found the same problem in Maleny. My first dog there was a ShihTzu cross. Owner wanted dog bathed and dried (blow dryer), which I did. Also scissored out some knots (owner didn't want dog clipped) and did nails and charged her $20 which she complained was too much. :)

The vet clinic charged $10 for a bath, $16.00 for nails so I thought that was a reasonable price?. The clinic only towel dried dogs.

Had I seen her again I may have thought to mention that whilst I worked at the vet clinic I saw a nurse bath three dogs in the same water. :)

Edited by Hesapandabear

:) 3 dogs in the same water, geeeezs that's just gross!

I think in the case if the lady I know, she didn't have a clue and the groomer took advantage of it. She explained who it was and I think it is the same guy who gave Cooper his clip 4 years ago and I never went back, he didn't do what I asked him to do and hacked his fur off, he looked hidious!! I have photos if anyone wants a look. Sorry getting a nit off topic, but the grooming stories always get my interest.

After the ordeal with Cooper I went somewhere else and had a dramav with them too, I'm pretty sure what happened there and it changed Cooper forever, so after that I found a lovely lady that did a fabulous job and charged by memory I think it was $40 per dog. Then she stopped grooming due to other commitments, so that was when I decided to do my own. And I've never looked back, I'm certainly no expert but at least I can have them the way I want them and not have to pay a fortune.

We are very limited in this town for groomers, I think there is only 3 maybe 4 and I've seen clips from all of them. :)

Edited by tlc

Sounds good to me.

I pay that for each of my BC's to get a wash, brush and tidy (not often, but a couple of times a year. Rest of the time I just try to keep them looking "good" myself!!). So taking into account a clip I think it's more than reasonable. I think my Mum pays about that for her schnauzer x's who get a schnauzer clip.

Some people just aren't in touch with what happens in the real world!!

I think sometimes people phone with a price in their head and hope you will say "oh ok, 20 bucks it is then." :o

We get it sometimes at my work too, I think they just like to test the waters, when they buy products in some places they get discounts so they assume they can barter everywhere.

My groomer (at the pet store) charges $40 for a groom, bath, nails, ears, and it takes about 1.5-2 hours (Brisbane northside). I always thought it was stupidly cheap, and not sure how they make money off of grooming. I would think $50 is very reasonable, or even $60 for a standard puppy clip.

I have absolutely no experience in getting dogs clipped but it seems more than reasonable to me.

I live in a small SA town where a groomer has just set up a home business, rang her re price etc I was thrilled with the price. $25 for a wash, blow dry, brush, ear clean and nail trim, Oscar has literally no hair so no clipping is ever required :( She said it would take around 45 minutes which is usual for him. So if you were to add in a clip you would expect to pay at LEAST double the $25 surely.

Stick to your prices :o

I don't have much experience with dog grooming...but it's much cheaper than my people hairdresser so it sounds pretty darn reasonable.

TLC this is why Billie hasn't been to a groomer. Friends took their long haired SWF for a bath and basic trim and came back to find her close shaven all over. No reason given for doing so. OH is worried we will ask for a straightforward wash and dry and end up with a hacked or bald pup. I'd like to take her somewhere but admit I share some of his apprehension. I have made enquiries with a few places and when I say it is a border collie they reply along the lines of 'Welll that's not a small dog but I can't see why not'...doesn't fill me with confidence. :cry:

I was told by one of their former groomers there is a groomers in Adelaide who fills up the bath in the morning and doesn't change the water all day :cry: :cry: - and knowing her well I have no reason to disbelieve her.

And of course its not my groomer who I often recommend. She charges me $50.00/dog which I think is really reasonable for the wonderful job she does. But I think thats a multiple 3 dog discount for which I'm really grateful and I have been going there a long time!! :cry:

Edited by westiemum