Doubling Birth Weight In A Week

Paptacular!

I have one that is now only 3g above his birth weight. He was the biggest at birth out of 4, and he's now the second smallest.

Do you often supplement ones that are lagging?

Mum appears to have enough milk and is feeding regularly (about every 2 or 3 hours now). She's taking breaks from the box and goes back every now and again and when they cry.

As a rule I would say yes they double there weight.

This litter they did not, I choose to supplement before they got to low in weight and it was to late.

2-3days after birth if no gain in 24hour hours I supplement.

Tube feeding is free calories, they don't have to work for the food so save energy.

I have one that is now only 3g above his birth weight. He was the biggest at birth out of 4, and he's now the second smallest.

Do you often supplement ones that are lagging?

Mum appears to have enough milk and is feeding regularly (about every 2 or 3 hours now). She's taking breaks from the box and goes back every now and again and when they cry.

They should put on 10% of their birth weight per day. So should have doubled by 10 days.

If they lose a bit it will mean they have more to make up but usually do it.

3g above I would be putting him on without the others around.

Our girls stay in a pen with the whelping box in the pen. They have the option of being in the whelping box with the pups or outside in the pen but we find that they are rarely out of the whelping box for at least the first week, except to go to the toilet or eat.

Beagles being beagles start off generally as little piglets andd double their birthweight in the first week - if not more! :o

Here's data from our last two litters, same dam.

CC

This is an excellent chart CaptainCourageous - obviously done on the computer - where can I get this or similar from? ;)

You could do something like that in Excel

CC

What breed is this? 1kg new borns! :thumbsup:

If they were 1Kg at birth they would be massive Schipperke pups :thumbsup: Our usually double their weight easily in the first week but our current litter were just under. They have made up for it since ;)

CC

What breed is this? 1kg new borns! :thumbsup:

If they were 1Kg at birth they would be massive Schipperke pups :thumbsup: Our usually double their weight easily in the first week but our current litter were just under. They have made up for it since ;)

I would suggest it is 100grms. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: