Why Do They Lay In The Sun?

Vickie

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why? because they spend so much time in aircon ...and kinda lose their ability to judge what the actual temperature is ....

our workers who are outside all the time almost never lie in the Sun...I figure they know it's hot..so don't bother !

Our poor pampered city dwelling pooches lol

Silly Bitty tries to do this! I let her lay for about 5 min and then call her back in!

Bubby is a clever one though! Been inside all his life! Would NEVER set foot outside voluntarily, let alone sun himself!!!! :wave:

Edited by Bub

I actually have my Mum or Dad come over every afternoon that it is too hot, and 'babysit' Sasha inside in the air con. And what does the ungrateful bugger do? Gets up and wants to go outside and lie in the sun...

I also think of it as 'defrosting'... but I also think that she likes the freedom of being outside, whereas inside she is expected to behave :thumbsup:

She will however, come back and give sad eyes at the door when she's been out long enough and is hot again!!

Chloe on the other hand, won't budge once she's inside... she's no fool.

Edited by Kelly_Louise

I looked outside today to see my min pin, Chester, laying on top of our shadecloth-type pool cover. It sags just enough to give him a little "pool" of his own. He would lay there for long enough to cool off, then go and lay on the grass again. :thumbsup:

I looked outside today to see my min pin, Chester, laying on top of our shadecloth-type pool cover. It sags just enough to give him a little "pool" of his own. He would lay there for long enough to cool off, then go and lay on the grass again. :thumbsup:

how cute! Where was your camera? We need pics :laugh:

Loki will lie upside down in Summer "working on his tan" He sheds so much he has very thin hair and bald patches on his belly and it goes from it's normal Winter Pinky white with black spots to a dark purple colour. Please tell me this is normal??? :( He has cooler areas to sleep but he would rather be spreadeagled on the hot concrete.

Riley will do it too.

Even Charlie our cat does it. Its 39 degrees out there now, and she's in the shed part of her cat run, in the cat scratch pole box thingo.

She could lie on the pavers which are really cool, or come outside in the breeze, or go under the deck on the pebbles, but nope, in the hottest spot every time!

Edited by wagsalot

This thread is hilarious. ;)

I just thought it was my dog that did this. I put sunscreen on her nose, I need to put it on her belly. Same as all the other dogs, Blister goes outside lays on her back and spreads her legs.... Temperature 40.9

A couple of my mini poodle girls do this ,lie out on the conrete on when its a stinking hot day. The boys don,t do it though, I guess they have certain thing they want to protect :( The concrete would be burning my feet and one of girls - Gracie needs to be heaved off the concrete.

This thread is hilarious. :rofl:

I just thought it was my dog that did this. I put sunscreen on her nose, I need to put it on her belly. Same as all the other dogs, Blister goes outside lays on her back and spreads her legs.... Temperature 40.9

:rofl::rofl: 'Blister' - what a fitting name!

I have to put sunscreen on both my two - all over their bellies because they lie on their backs and bake. Silly things! THEN they complain in their crates at night because they are HOT :(

Hey everyone,my 3 Bullmastiffs will if i let them. The are in air con all the time and if i let them sunbake they get sunburned. True..

They are all light fawns and they too lay on their backs and all under where the skin is visable goes a dark. then at night they get itchy from it. I sunscreen them and all the itching goes.Just like the kids.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is hilarious. :(

Today it is overcast, but still 36 Degrees and this is how I found Blister :

post-21746-1298093820_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

We are on our 5th day over 40 degrees.

Dogs have spent every day all day inside with me in the airconditioning.

Every 3-4 hours I let them out for a stretch & toilet break.

Each time at least one or 2 of them will go past the shaded deck to lay (and pant) right in the middle of the backyard in the stinking hot sun until I call them back in again.

Why on earth would they do this???

Because they can. ;) :grouphug: :D :)

ETA. My ruby girl did when she was 7 weeks preggers Temp 38 deg. :(

Edited by Bilbo Baggins