Anal Glands

HugUrPup

If anal glands need doing, do dogs let off a constant bad smell?

Miley is smelly even after a wash. I clean out her ears and everything but she stinks the next day.

I have just youtube'd how to squeeze them and I am not sure I could do it without barfing :whiteflag:

Do vet's do it and would they charge much?

Miley is smelly even after a wash. I clean out her ears and everything but she stinks the next day.

I have just youtube'd how to squeeze them and I am not sure I could do it without barfing :confused:

Who cares what it costs? Money well spent. Shoving my finger up my dog's jacksie is not on my "to do" list. :whiteflag: Plus, your vet may give a solution to solve the dog's anal gland issues,wrt diet etc. And, yes, it is a smell never forgotten.

One of my dogs has had issues with her anal glands since she was a puppy. It doesn't matter what she is fed, they fill up very quickly. Within a week of having them squeezed she is dragging her bottom on the grass but I usually wait for a couple of months before I take her to have them emptied as I believe it might make the problem worse if it is done more frequently.

It is a oily sort of fishy smell. In my girl it used to leak out sometimes when she was young and was a latte/straw colour.

My vet only charges me $20 if that is the only problem instead of the normal consultation fee.

I have just youtube'd how to squeeze them and I am not sure I could do it without barfing :laugh:

My cav has problems with anal glands. Not fun, for owner or pet. You will have to have them drained initially, but to avoid future swollen glands or reduce the frequency of needing to manually drain them, it is important to bulk out their poos so their glands can drain naturally. I know, sometimes this doesn't work. The best thing that I have found that was recommended by my vet was to bulk up their feed with brown rice. It makes their poos bigger but doesn't upset their diet or weight as the brown rice is not digested. It just comes out as it goes in. When their poops are bigger, as they are defecating, the poop naturally presses on the glands to drain them. I have been doing this with my cav for 4 months now, and have not needed to manually drain them since. Not sure about the constant stink though. I didn't notice a constant smell from my cav when hers were full.

Kenzie had a minor anal gland problem. She was a little stinky but it was more the licking and some butt scooting that alerted me.

1st consult a little pricey - consult, expressing, anitbiotics - but much better that they do it than me!!

Had a follow up with the vet nurse which included expressing the glands and was $18 - money well spent in my opinion!!!!

Or you could try the method my 8 wo pup just did.... :laugh:

I left my expensive GHD hair straightener hanging from vanity, and she got caught in the cord, panicked and came flying out of the ensuite with a big yelp and the straightener bouncing along behind her :laugh:

proceeded to drop her anal glands all over the carpet.... :)

She was back to her normal self within minutes, meanwhile I have been on my hands and knees for the past 30....

You do not have to insert your fingers into your dogs anus to expel the anal glands.

Finger and thumb encases the dogs tail.

If the anal glands need expressing you will find a small pea sized lump at either side of the anus.

All you need to do is to get the finger and thumb behind the pea sized lump and squeeze the lump forward. I use my right hand over and around the dos tail and also hold the dogs tail in my left hands and I also straddle the dog.

Some times they may squirt a brown liquid or the may expel a thick substance.

Not all glands are identical in what they hold.

Please don't try to do it yourself just yet - you don't even know if what you're smelling is full anal glands.

A vet visit sounds in order - if they are full, ask the vet to show you where they're located and how you can go about expressing them yourself next time.

You do not have to insert your fingers into your dogs anus to expel the anal glands.

Finger and thumb encases the dogs tail.

If the anal glands need expressing you will find a small pea sized lump at either side of the anus.

All you need to do is to get the finger and thumb behind the pea sized lump and squeeze the lump forward. I use my right hand over and around the dos tail and also hold the dogs tail in my left hands and I also straddle the dog.

Some times they may squirt a brown liquid or the may expel a thick substance.

Not all glands are identical in what they hold.

This is the method I was taught and use on my dogs.

could be what u feed as well some cheaper foods can casue dogs to stink

we have 2 bassets that come to the kennels and they used to be fed pal... u could bath then and by the time they were dryed they stank! when we told the guy why he laughed at the easy fix LOL

I dont like the idea of regularly expressing glads if not 100% nacessary... the more u do it the more they need doing..

I understand that some dogs need them done due to health issues, but as a groomer i am often talking people out of it... they come in with pups and ask do i do them with every groom or every 2nd? they are shocked when i say never.. LOL, i say i dont do glands as i believe a vet should do them to ensure they are done right and only when necessary!!

Miley is on a very healthy diet, so I doubt it's that.

I'm pretty certain it's the anal glands and if not we will know after they are drained as the smell will still be there.

I can't really describe the smell... kind of like wee and stinky bum I guess LOL

I have watched numerous videos on how to do it, so I purchased some gloves and will give it a go tomorrow.

I'll still take her to the vet also (I booked her in for next Wednesday) because a general check up is due anyway.

I think she needs her teeth cleaned too.