A Good Diet For 6 Week Puppies

I have 9 six week old Border Collie puppies, They are currently getting fed : soggy puppy biscuits ( Advance )with Puppy milk twice a day, and cooked mince with cottage cheese, yoghurt, egg, weetbix, cooked grated pumpkin and carrot with puppy milk once a day. I give them as much as they can eat. Does all this sound reasonable? I want them to have the healthiest possible start before they're off to their new homes. Any advice is appreciated.

post-29126-1296954196_thumb.jpg

post-29126-1296954231_thumb.jpg

post-29126-1296954254_thumb.jpg

Why cook the mince ? Feed it to them raw, introduce them to chicken necks and wings.

They can have their dry without being soaked.

I'd leave out the weetbix, it's a useless filler and there's no point in cooking them veg.

Whole raw eggs in their shells are lots of fun for babies. You can also introduce them to canned fish or raw fish, roo tails and lamb necks. They won't be able to eat the bones just yet, but stripping the meat from the bone entertains them for ages.

They can also do without the puppy milk. If you really have to give them milk, just a simple goats milk is excellent.

The best you can do for a puppy when sending it to it's new home, is to make sure they are eating their dry " dry, that they will eat a variety of meats off bone and have tried eggs and fish. That makes it so much easier for the new owners and does not encoruage fussy puppies from the start

i though you couldn't give raw either yolk / whites??

Yep - no problems.

Egg white binds Biotin so on it's own is not great in large quantities, fortunately yolk is very high in Biotin so nullifies the problem when they are fed together. Raw whole egg, shell included is a great little food package.

Thanks eveyone :) More chewing it is. I wasn't sure if thier little teeth could handle it yet. I used to feed whole raw eggs to my girl when she was a pup. She loved them, great fun for her, but we stopped giving them as we were worried that she might take a fox bait if she came across one, as farmers lay poison eggs around here. :laugh: I would love to feed goats milk but am having trouble finding any, (they probably don't need to much milk now anyway.) I will try them with some unsoaked dry today, they have eaten mums before LOL

In the first post you said you were feeding once a day??? was that just that particular part of the diet or are they getting one meal a day??

Agree with everyone else no weetbix ( a pet hate of mine) dry dog food not soaked and raw bones. At 6 weeks they have very sharp little teeth and they are perfect for shredding stuff.

In the first post you said you were feeding once a day??? was that just that particular part of the diet or are they getting one meal a day??

Agree with everyone else no weetbix ( a pet hate of mine) dry dog food not soaked and raw bones. At 6 weeks they have very sharp little teeth and they are perfect for shredding stuff.

They get their mince once a day and bickkies twice a day. Plus additional feeds if they look like they want it. Just gave them their 1st chicken wings, they are loving them, working kinda like a dummy, my house hasn't been this quiet in weeks! LOL

I thought though that dogs do need some carbs? My girl usually has oats, wheatgerm and rice in her dinner? Not a great deal, mainly meat, but I do give some.

Thanks eveyone :thumbsup: More chewing it is. I wasn't sure if thier little teeth could handle it yet. I used to feed whole raw eggs to my girl when she was a pup. She loved them, great fun for her, but we stopped giving them as we were worried that she might take a fox bait if she came across one, as farmers lay poison eggs around here. :thumbsup: I would love to feed goats milk but am having trouble finding any, (they probably don't need to much milk now anyway.) I will try them with some unsoaked dry today, they have eaten mums before LOL

I prefer to add just a little bit of water. All biscuits have a certain amount of dust on them, even the expensive ones. The dust can cause the biscuits to stick in their throat. A little bit of water dampens it and makes it stay on the biscuit and not go dry down the throat.

I have 9 six week old Border Collie puppies, They are currently getting fed : soggy puppy biscuits ( Advance )with Puppy milk twice a day, and cooked mince with cottage cheese, yoghurt, egg, weetbix, cooked grated pumpkin and carrot with puppy milk once a day. I give them as much as they can eat. Does all this sound reasonable? I want them to have the healthiest possible start before they're off to their new homes. Any advice is appreciated.

I would recommend BARF food for your puppies + chicken necks. There are two products you can use - Big Dog BARF or LEADING RAW. The Guide Dogs Queensland use Leading RAW for their breeding and training colony - exclusively. You can find out where to get these products from Big Dog Pet Foods www.bigdogpetfoods.com

O.K. So they're eating their dry "dry", loving meat off the bone, raw mince, eggs. Seem very happy with it. ( although they loved thier cooked food it dissapeared quick leaving them bored ). Expect several to go to their new homes on the weekend, so they should be prepared for whatever diet they end up on :thumbsup:

O.K. So they're eating their dry "dry", loving meat off the bone, raw mince, eggs. Seem very happy with it. ( although they loved thier cooked food it dissapeared quick leaving them bored ). Expect several to go to their new homes on the weekend, so they should be prepared for whatever diet they end up on :provoke:

I hope you are at least keeping the puppies until they are 8 weeks old.