Urban Mushing

Nikki's Mum

Hi there

Just a general enquiry if anyone knows if there are organised urban mushing groups around Sydney?

I'd love to take it up again this winter.

Or, does anyone know of any forests there you are allowed to have your dogs on lead that have suitable tracks i.e. mountain bike trails?

Also, in Europe i would take Nikki on the cross country skiing runs. Is that allowed here in the Threadbo region or elsewhere?

Nikki's Mum is starting to crave winter after this week of 40 deg C... Thank goodness that's broken.

post-38634-1296970069_thumb.jpg

I think Dinner Plain In Vic is the only Cross country area where you can take dogs. it is also where the sledding is done.....Hope you can take your dogs there :(

Yup - i live in the Snowy Mountains and sadly dogs are forbidden in National Parks here. There are areas that you can go that are isolated, however it is prohibited and if you get caught there are lots of fines.

They do have dog races in Dinner Plain though - so im guessing its suitable there!

Contact The Siberian Husky Club of NSW - they do sledding days.

Sledding is about to become a recognized sport with the ANKC and the rules etc are in the process of being drafted.

Edited by Janba

Yup - i live in the Snowy Mountains and sadly dogs are forbidden in National Parks here. There are areas that you can go that are isolated, however it is prohibited and if you get caught there are lots of fines.

Thanks for the warning. This is the exact reason for my post. I do know that dogs aren't allowed in the National Park (and for good reasons) here in OZ, I just thought there might be pine forests from forestry companies where dogs are allowed.

In NZ my parents live near such a pine forest and they allow dogs and horses to use the forestry grounds. They let you know which areas are safe to use and which have been logged etc.

I used forest trails in Holland to train Nikki in Holland while there was no snow. It's so much fun to be bounding along on a x-country scooter or mountain bike. Nikki is really motivated to run then. The parks where I live hear aren't inspiring enough for her LOL!!!

What makes is 'urban' mushing? It makes me think you go down the high street on one of those bkie style sleds.

LOL that makes for a great visual. You are pretty close though. You generally use a x-country scooter like the one I have below

post-38634-1297028901_thumb.jpg

hook up you dog to the front using appropriate harness and traces (shock absorbent ropes specially designed) and go bounding down the trails. Needless to say Nikki has been trained with the commands to turn left, right, move over left, right, slow down, speed up and stiop.

You can also use mountain bikes and there are also 3 or 4 wheeled carts you can use for multiple dog teams. You can use pretty much anything so long as each wheel is braked and is within the pulling capacity of your dog.

Unpaved trails are generally used as too much road work can splinter your dogs leg bones (just like horses) and put too much stress on the muscles.

Most large breed dogs are capable of this sport but every country has their own laws governing this. In The Netherlands only specific polar breeds are allowed to pull anything. In France there are no restrictions on breed just common sense and humane treatment apply. I've seen giant poodles in a team of 2 pulling a scooter having heaps of fun ROTFL. That was exceptional, you mostly see GSD and other larger shepherd breeds as well as the other spitz type breeds and crosses used.

I even saw a vid of a guy in the states hook up his huskies to a farm Quad bike. He had a team of 12 I think.

Anyway, it's a great way to get out there and keep fit with your dog as you have to do a lot of work yourself with a scooter esp going uphill.

I'm glad to hear sledding with be ANKC recognised :laugh:

So exciting

Nikki's mum come and post in the Sibe thread in the breed subforums.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...amp;start=17490

A lot of the posters in there are people who race sibes here :)

They should be able to help tell you where to go around sydney

Awesone, thanks, will do!

Hey Nikkis Mum

Glad to see some more further mushers in NSW :laugh:

Where do you live?

We usually train down and Belanglo or Wingello State Forests when the weather gets cooler.

We are down that way most weekends and camp over night with the dogs.

The NSW Husky Club hold various races throughout the year starting off with an introductory weekend around April.

Unfortunately we can't run the dogs on the snow in NSW :)

Nic pic Bartok :laugh:

Edited by Ulfhednar

Or ask Ulfender

Ros lives at Douglas Park and she also does Husky Rescue

Her and husband and now her kids are always our mushing

And I recognise my little man wearing the number 4 bib :laugh: Oh, and the OH is there too :laugh:

Hey Nikkis Mum

Glad to see some more further mushers in NSW :)

Where do you live?

We usually train down and Belanglo or Wingello State Forests when the weather gets cooler.

The NSW Husky Club hold various races throughout the year starting off with an introductory weekend around April.

Unfortunately we can't run the dogs on the snow in NSW :D

Nic pic Bartok :thumbsup:

:whip: Nikkis Mum

Another slederererera here!

Edited by idigadog

Hey Nikkis Mum

Glad to see some more further mushers in NSW :)

Where do you live?

Unfortunately we can't run the dogs on the snow in NSW :p

Nic pic Bartok :cheer:

didnt think you would mind me stealing it Ros :clap: lol

Rules for dogs in Forest areas.

The NSW government makes a distinction between State Forests and National Parks especially the difference in rules that apply to Dogs.

National Parks - No pets allowed.

State Forests - Dogs allowed but must be under control at all times.

"When visiting conservation area such as national parks, nature reserves and state conservation areas, remember that no pets are allowed (other than trained assistance animals). State forests, some Crown reserves and some regional parks permit dogs, but visitors should keep them under control and on a lead at all times."

Apparently State forests can have pockets of national parks in them. However they are clearly marked.

Also maps showing trails and areas appropriate for dogs can be bought online at forests NSW

http://www.shop.nsw.gov.au/category.jsp?category=1261

Eg "he Central West Forest Map covers the area west of the Blue Mountains, including the Central Tablelands, the Macquarie Valley, Bathurst, Orange and surrounds

The map shows all regularly maintained roads and trails, walking tracks, recreation areas and lookouts.

The reverse side contains photographs and commentary on the history of the regions' forests and forestry in the area, and details of recreation sites, including the must-see sites and a recreation facilities matrix.

This is a 'must have' for mountain bike riders, four-wheel-drive enthusiasts, bushwalkers, horseriders, dog owners and anyone who wants to explore the region's extensive public forest estate."

Great to know eh? Needless to say, I've purchased all 5 maps LOL

Hey Nikkis Mum

Glad to see some more further mushers in NSW :laugh:

Where do you live?

Unfortunately we can't run the dogs on the snow in NSW :(

Nic pic Bartok :(

Great to know. I'll look into the NSW Husky Club :-) I should be back from Austria in Early April so that's be good timing. :hug: