Stop Digging In The Grass

thomo84

Hi,

Our Golden Retriever is 9-10 months old and never used to dig in the backyard in the grassed areas but has started to do so, alot of holes are apprearing :laugh:

We have a sand pit in a clam shell for him to dig in, we have a bungy rope that he loves, we on hot days have a pool in a clam shell as well, he has slow release toys in the backyard as well.

We are after some advise.... if we fill the holes in, is there anyway of preventing him doing this again? perhaps something in the soil we fill them with or something.

Thanks

At this time of year he may be chasing cicadas, crickets and other crawlies that are under the surface. My old kelpie never digs during the cooler months but during summer you find "scratch patches" around the yard. May also be trying to find cooler soil to lay on to keep cool.

yeah what everyone says above he is... loves been the puppy he is. Yes i agree he would love to find colder soil to dig up and get his nose cooler... the holes arne't big enough to lay in.

We walk him twice a day if we are home like the weekend or a day off, otherwise once a day usually at night because we go to work early but its a big walk. I know the morning would be better but don't possible.

We have many toys that we rotate to make things interesting for him.

Put the poop in the hole. I saved up a weeks worth and dumped it in the biggest hole by the fence our V had dug.. he hasn't touched it since. It also stopped him digging the other small one he started the day OH was too slow to let him inside.

He has not dug a hole in 2 months now :) He buries things in the mulch pile out the back instead :p

Edited by Bundy's Mum

We had the same problem with our GR. We also had the clam shell with sand in one side and water in the other on hot days. We tried the poo in the holes as well as other things but these did not seem to stop him.

What did finally stop him was building him a larger sandpit sunk into a place in the garden/lawn with some shade and lined with wood. He now has somewhere to dig as well as to dig and lie in the cool sand. He has now stopped digging up the lawn and he loves it there. It does require a bit of work to build it but you can always just dig a big hole and fill with sand from Bunnings. He loves to lie in there watching me mowing the lawn or any other work in the back yard!

post-20148-1297061948_thumb.jpg

post-20148-1297062147_thumb.jpg

Will try the poo thing first but the more permanant sand pit sounds like a great idea, although we are renting so have to see if the land lord would be happy with something like that.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

P.S I just thought though if we did do the permanant sand pit, wouldn't cats use it as a toilet?

Edited by thomo84