What's The Most Ridiculous Thing Your Dog's Been Called?

~Rumour~

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Akita, Basenji and Pug here.

My personal favourites are those who insist Rafael especially can't possibly be a full blood Shar Pei because he doesn't have enough wrinkles. Guess what folks, he is lol. Pei also apparently do not come in chocolate, hence Sofia is also some random cross breed :thumbsup:

Our sharpei also get Pug, Boxer and Bulldog.

I get the common ones liek Greyhound, baby greyhound. Did get asked one day if they were real Whippets, not sure what other type of Whippet they may have been??

I get asked if they have won races or are they rescues which all goes with the greyhound theme.

I do get annoyed when I get told they need to be fed though.

I'm guilty of mislabeling a dog once. I was at a dog show with my afghan and I saw a pair of dogs being walked around by the exhibitor. I said to our group "look at those cute little baby airedales!", everyone burst into laughter and between hoots I was informed that the "baby airedales" were really full grown "lakelands"!

Omg I was soooo embarrassed, and I never lived it down! Hehe!

What is the silliest thing you have heard your dog been called? My Border Collie boy gets everything from Aussie, GSD x, Husky X

but the other day, I kid you not I had someone comment what a nice looking pomeranian I had!!!! I am very stumped at how my Border got confsed with

a Pom?

Also was with a friend and there Greyhound x, when one lady said to her son look at that Bull Mastiff....

Further more I was in a bookshop the other day with the OH, I began to flick through a puppy book of some sort which had a photo of a beautiful Aussie Shep labelled as a Kelpie?

Some people....

I have a Whppet that has been called Snake dog, Knackers, with my Whippet I was told I was going to be reported to the RSPCA for starving him, thanks to her friend was able to correct her telling the lady my dog is a racing dog & that they are suppose to be like that. :provoke:

Our Papillons have been called Pomerainians, Pom x, Maltese,

I'm guilty of mislabeling a dog once. I was at a dog show with my afghan and I saw a pair of dogs being walked around by the exhibitor. I said to our group "look at those cute little baby airedales!", everyone burst into laughter and between hoots I was informed that the "baby airedales" were really full grown "lakelands"!

Omg I was soooo embarrassed, and I never lived it down! Hehe!

That's fairly easy to do with some breeds, though. "Mini airdales" are often actually welsh terriers.

An old man once said my beagle puppy was "like hound of the Baskervilles".

I think he meant like a Basset Hound....

The Hound of the Baskervilles is a Sherlock Holmes tale, and from memory (I'm sure Google or DOL will correct me) the dog had a wicked howl... (and ended up killing much of the cast...) It's likely in one of the screen adaptations of the book, a beagle was used as the "hound"

I met a few new pups this morning... a little black poodle type dog and a little SWF. I asked the poodle's owner if it was a mini poodle - nope, a cav x poodle (using its DD name) and the SWF was a Japanese Spitz x Poodle (again, using its DD name). If in doubt of mixed heratige, I will either guess at the most obvious mix or simply ask the owner!

Mischa and Cleo (Miniature Pinschers) get called Chihuahuas several times a day. ;) It drives me up the WALL. They are so much better looking than Chis. ;)

Carl (staffy/terrier x) has been called a corgi before. :D Also a cocker spaniel!

Jag gets mistaken for a poodle or a maltese. :( I'll give them poodle since Bichon hair is very similar to it, but the body shape is completely different.

Just have to give you a SLAP for that one! LOL

Smooth coat Chi = Rat according to all who know me

But interestingly, the long coat Chi on the other lead often gets - "What breed is that?" ;)

When I first met nextdoor neighbours Lagotto for the first time, I had no idea what it was....and I did ask before sticking my foot in it (fortunately!). He was an ungroomed, hairy ball of energy. Didn't look like a poodle, but he didn't look like a poodle cross either. He definately has a good set of lungs on him though.

My black Russian gets called a Labradoodle on a regular basis, lol, so much so now that my smart alec friends tell people at shows thats what she is, and yes they can be shown... rofl ;)

or she has been called a hairy/unstripped giant schnauzer or a bouvier schnauzer cross....and this is by other dog show people ;)

I normally get told, "You can't tell what's in that one!"

"Actually, it's a purebred border terrier."

"A border collie cross?"

"No, but they originate in the same place as border collies."

"I think someone is having you on..."

I actually get many comments that my dog is like a meerkat...

Its hard when there are so many rare breeds around now.

My black Russian gets called a Labradoodle on a regular basis, lol, so much so now that my smart alec friends tell people at shows thats what she is, and yes they can be shown... rofl :(

or she has been called a hairy/unstripped giant schnauzer or a bouvier schnauzer cross....and this is by other dog show people :D

To be honest, there are so many oodly doodly crossbreeds that unless a particular dog looks like its owners might know something about dogs, I generally assume a dog with curly black fur of large size is a crossbreed/doodle. Sorry. ;)

I certainly wouldnt pick a Russian (Terrier?)

You cant win sometimes, there is a puppy at my local dog park that looks just like a very young ridgeless ridgeback- nup, its a slightly older ACD x SBT. ;)

I did get brownie points for guessing a couple of Tollers though. :laugh:

I find it weirder that I cant count the times I've been told my GR is a labrador retriever. Funny thing is people usually say the whole name quite proudly like they are experts! ;)

I don't expect people to know what my English Setters are... but the most common one is Dalmatian cross...

If they do guess it's a setter, they usually say Red Setter, which i find odd if they are looking at my tricolour blue boy.

If they ask what he is and i say an English setter, they say "aren't they really dumb/crazy" to which they are of course referring to the irish setter, whom in my experience are exhuberant but not dumb!

Most people know what a Weimaraner is, or if not, they guess it's a purebreed and ask what she is. I used to get a lot of kids asking if they were Greyhounds ;) Now I just get people expertly exclaiming what it is with the completely incorrect pronunciation (Wee-mer-arn-er/why-mer something or other ;))

Oh yes the OES is always a Dulux dog. :(

Edited by SparkyTansy

;) I don't think I could take it if someone tried to tell me what my own dog was!

Haven't had anything too crazy with my two...

Jess has been a kelpie and mini bc.

Bailey has been a golden/poodle, lab/poodle, most recently a lab; but that's fair enough, he has been shaved ;) that big fluffy tail could throw people off though!

Edited by DogSportObsessed