What's The Most Ridiculous Thing Your Dog's Been Called?

~Rumour~

I tend to get odd looks for KNOWING a breed :D ;)

My GSD's are generally assumed to be GSD crosses...assuming because they are fluffy? Bronx got called a Collie X on here years ago ;) But he does have a pointy nose so... :D

ETA - they get called husky x, wolf x, mal x, the black one got called a BSD...at a show! lol

Edited by KitKat

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People often say Chopper's a Pit Bull. They don't ask, they tell me!

The funniest is when people ask if my dogs are related. Urm, they're different breeds!!

People ask me if Scarlett's a Pit Bull. When I say she's a Bull Terrer they often think they're the same breed. Aaah no moron, they are not the same breed

People often say Chopper's a Pit Bull. They don't ask, they tell me!

The funniest is when people ask if my dogs are related. Urm, they're different breeds!!

People ask me if Scarlett's a Pit Bull. When I say she's a Bull Terrer they often think they're the same breed. Aaah no moron, they are not the same breed

I got that alot when I had BT's. I remember walking my bitch at the local markets and a lady grabbed her child by the arm and ripped him through the air yelling loudly 'get away from the pitbull'. As if I'd take a HA dog out in such a public place and as if she could be mistaken for anything other than a BT with that distinctly shaped head! :D

Mischa and Cleo (Miniature Pinschers) get called Chihuahuas several times a day. :laugh: It drives me up the WALL. They are so much better looking than Chis. :confused:

Carl (staffy/terrier x) has been called a corgi before. :eek: Also a cocker spaniel!

Jag gets mistaken for a poodle or a maltese. :laugh: I'll give them poodle since Bichon hair is very similar to it, but the body shape is completely different.

Just have to give you a SLAP for that one! LOL

Smooth coat Chi = Rat according to all who know me

But interestingly, the long coat Chi on the other lead often gets - "What breed is that?" :o

:) I deserved it!

Mischa gets called a rat all the time ironically! My best friend has a Chihuahua (badly bred, mind) who's been called a corgi x. :(

An old man once said my beagle puppy was "like hound of the Baskervilles".

I think he meant like a Basset Hound....

The Hound of the Baskervilles is a Sherlock Holmes tale, and from memory (I'm sure Google or DOL will correct me) the dog had a wicked howl... (and ended up killing much of the cast...) It's likely in one of the screen adaptations of the book, a beagle was used as the "hound"

Ah ha, I always assumed the Hound of the Baskervilles was a very big dog, but if it's about the howl, then Pudding is turning into an excellent candidate!

man: "what else does it have in it?"

me: other than what?

Man: greyhound

me: she's a border collie

man: "listen love, I've had greyhounds all my life, I know a dog with greyhound in it when i see one and I'm telling you that dog is mostly greyhound!"

An old man once said my beagle puppy was "like hound of the Baskervilles".

I think he meant like a Basset Hound....

The Hound of the Baskervilles is a Sherlock Holmes tale, and from memory (I'm sure Google or DOL will correct me) the dog had a wicked howl... (and ended up killing much of the cast...) It's likely in one of the screen adaptations of the book, a beagle was used as the "hound"

Ah ha, I always assumed the Hound of the Baskervilles was a very big dog, but if it's about the howl, then Pudding is turning into an excellent candidate!

The Hound of the Baskervilles was a very large black Mastiff-type dog.

I put this on the Spitz thread the other day, but my lappie has been called a Chow (as a baby puppy), GSD x, Husky x, Kelpie x Sammy (which was actually not a bad guess IMO), a "really large" Pomeranian (which makes more sense with her dad, who is a brown and tan with a very dense coat), and "is that a dog? it looks like a fox!" I've never seen a black and tan fox. I mean, seriously, I can take just about any guess at her breed because I understand that most people aren't as dog-nerdy as I am and she is a rare breed, but clearly she's a dog!

I often get told mine are labradoodles; when I say they are wheaten terriers, the most common response is "what?"

I think people think it's a made up breed.

Whatever :(

I say the breed names for my two then I say 'They're Irish farm dogs' because people understand what a farm dog is.

I say the breed names for my two then I say 'They're Irish farm dogs' because people understand what a farm dog is.

Some people might, but very few city people have the foggiest idea what "farm dog" can encompass. I was trying to explain why shire registration was discounted for vermin dogs the other day to my new neighbours' group of suburbanite guests and could not even manage to get through to them that "vermin dog" was a job not a specific breed. :)

my bosses leonberger is often confused with a germ shep crossed with a mally.... she has a fluffy coat and is black and tan what else could she be bahaha

Not sure if Smoothiegirl already posted but she once told me her collie smooth was called a greyhound cross...

some people really have no idea!!

ETA: we have a lagotto who comes intot he kennels and his vacc cert came to us saying he was a labradoodle!! i told the owner and she was horrified!!! vet was more then a little embarrased

Edited by kirst_goldens

Perry my Koolie is often called a Border Collie, an Australian Shepherd, a Border Collie x ACD, an ACD x Kelpie. I was told she was a beautiful border collie with a particularly fine head by a border collie breeder. I am often told she cannot be a Koolie because she is long coated and has two brown eyes and those few who do know what a Koolie is are of the belief they are only short coated with one blue and one brown eye.

yes, we often get comments like "she's very well behaved, for a put bull".

My husband gets quite short his response recently it was "She is a very well behaved dog, her breed isn't relevant. But if you must know she is not a put bull, she's a bull terrier."

As if we'd ever consider taking a HA/DA dog out where there's plenty of dogs & people. :laugh:

Not sure if Smoothiegirl already posted but she once told me her collie smooth was called a greyhound cross...

Erm, I actually admitted earlier on this thread that I saw a smooth collie the other day and asked if it was a greyhound cross. I'm actually not clueless about dogs in general, I'd just never seen one before. I don't go to dog shows. :laugh:

apparently my dogue is a shar pei, 'rolly dog' or a pit bull :laugh:

Malinois, OK not many people know. Dingo x, german shep x is the most common. If I say 'belgian shepherd shorthair' something twinges, then they go 'oh so it is exactly like a german shepherd!'

er no love. Nothing like it. Much older breed.

Some people might, but very few city people have the foggiest idea what "farm dog" can encompass. I was trying to explain why shire registration was discounted for vermin dogs the other day to my new neighbours' group of suburbanite guests and could not even manage to get through to them that "vermin dog" was a job not a specific breed. :)

:D I have vermin dogs! Can't imagine that breed being very popular. "Oh yeah, I have VDs!"

They both totally failed to catch the mouse that was running around our house, so I'm starting to doubt even that!