The Delights Of Adopting An Adult Dog.

Gayle.

4 aussies!! you lucky thing Gayle!

where did you find a rescue aussie? they don't come up much do they?

With 3 other dogs i'm not surprised you went for an adult!

If i was going to add another dog, it would be an adult rescue. But i do like the challenge of raising a puppy and it can be a lot of fun (sometimes).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She was advertised on the DOL mature dog listings as being for sale, although they gave her to me. I enquird about her because she was a neutered bitch and I though that would be the best fit for the family. It wasn't til I spoke to the breeder on the phone that I heard the whole sad story.

Occasionally rescue Aussies come up via the AusShep yahoo email group and there were actually two others at the same time I was looking for an adult dog. Unfotunately as they become more well known, so does their opportunity for needing rescue.

Fortunately we have an excellent Aussie rescue network in this country . Mostly via breeders who will take dogs in and carefully rehome them then follow up to make sure the rehoming is sucessful.

Well it sounds like she is fitting in nicely and she was meant to be with you. Your comment about Dusty and not chasing the ball, I can totally relate. One of my girls is ball mad and the other wouldn't lower herself to chase the ball, we call her the princess :)

Are you able to share Shaes story? How could anyone give up such a gorgeous girl?

Its nice to know so many people have good experiances with adult dogs, sadly myine have all been bad :)

Not saying I would say no to an older dog in the future but I am wary about it.

Edited by Bjelkier

I got my boy at around 10 months (he is a rescue of unknown origin) and it was fantastic to discover he was already housetrained, beyond the puppy biting stage and actually, only ever really chewed up one thing - a pair of glasses :)

I am another person who loves the joy of an older dog. When my boy finally passes I will definitely be looking at an older dog (or two!), possibly more like 3-5 years old or even an aged "verandah dog" rescue (ie one that just needs a warm and shady spot to eek out their days).

I think dogs can have issues whether or not they have been raised by you from a pup. Depends a lot on genetics and your ownership style. Older dogs don't automatically mean problems.

And my boy had no problem in bonding with me either.

Missing the puppy stage doesn't bother me at all, it is over in an instant and then you get to enjoy the real dog :laugh:

Congratulations on your new Dog.. Sounds like you have a real lady on your hands. I have a Bullmastiff i rescued from a dog breeder at Capalaba Brisbane. She had been bred by this person who was breeding with her from a young age and had 3 litters out of her at 2 years of age. I went to this address to look at pups advertised and when i arrived this dog was segregated from a managery of animals includeing several breeds of dogs. The woman said she was savaging the other dogs and she was unsociable.

She was in an awful state of fitness. Not starving but obviously had never recovered fully from a litter of pups. My attention went to this dog and i started asking about her and ended up buying her from this woman for $300 no papers. She refused to sell with papers...I wonder why??? Not really but both me and the misses new we had to get that dog away from that person. Now she is 3 years old and we had her de sexed immediately along with all her needles and heartgard programme and a name change from Snuffy to Sunny Girl and she has settled in with my other 2 beautifully. Its been easy to resettle her with lots a love. And she just loves our other dogs two. Another Happy Ending.

Edited by Swanbrook

We got Ziggy at 2 1/2 and he's my beautiful boy. He has peed inside once on his first day. Never done it again. He's easy going (except with other dogs as he's dog reactive and with loud noises). Loves cuddles, does what you tell him etc, never chewed anything he wasn't supposed to.

We had no problems whatsoever bonding with Ziggy.

Much more pleasant than raising the devil dog (Anouk).

I have adopted three adult Goldies (actually one was only about 6 months old but he wasn't really a puppy) and they were all toilet trained (oh thank doG!) and one was beautifully obedience trained.

None were good with recall at all and it never changed. It was the demise of one of them.

Getting a puppy who is great with recall is what would sway me going with another puppy next time.

I had always said all my dogs will be from a puppy, I didn't want anyone else's troublesome dogs! But for some reason, in the matter of a few minutes, my mind changed when I saw Millie on the Lab Rescue website. I had wanted to get another Lab puppy (a yellow like Ruby, not a chocolate like Millie) but something told me that she had to come live with me. I enquired about her via email on a Friday after seeing her on the website Thursday night, received a response Friday night that she was still available, then received another email Saturday morning saying that if I am serious about adopting her to call them because they had others coming out to view her that day. I called, we chatted, and the next thing I know we are arranging flights for her to arrive on Tuesday! :eek: Less than a week prior I was still in the "puppy only" camp :thumbsup:

Millie was around 2 when I got her, and has been a joy to have in my life - I can't imagine life without her now. She was barely trained, she only knew sit and it wasn't a consistent one either. She had apparently been chained and muzzled in someone's backyard, along with a male Lab and a dachshund (who had also been surrendered to the pound). But even though her start to life wasn't exactly full of love, she has soooo much love to give and like others have said about other rescues, I think she is so grateful to find a loving home. She was a quick learner, I had her entered in a mock CCD obedience trial 3 months after getting her and was told by the judge she was the best she'd seen that day (the standard for the day must have been really bad, cos she wasn't all that great :thumbsup:) She just loves to be in human company and will do anything for you if it means she gets some human touch and play (which is another thing, she had no idea how to play when I got her!!) She's a gorgeous girl and Ruby and I are lucky to have her in our lives! :D

I have adopted three adult Goldies (actually one was only about 6 months old but he wasn't really a puppy) and they were all toilet trained (oh thank doG!) and one was beautifully obedience trained.

None were good with recall at all and it never changed. It was the demise of one of them.

Getting a puppy who is great with recall is what would sway me going with another puppy next time.

I agree with you there GR!

Honey's recall is a constant work in progress, presumably because she was never taught it as a pup.

We have made progress, I work hard at it but it's still not as good as I'd like and I doubt it ever will be.

I too dream of having a pup to teach it from day one.

But then there's other puppy "stuff" to contend with!!! :thumbsup:

Honey's recall is a constant work in progress, presumably because she was never taught it as a pup.

We have made progress, I work hard at it but it's still not as good as I'd like and I doubt it ever will be.

Dee, just make sure you get a Goldie pup and there won't be much other 'puppy stuff' to worry about!

My 6 month old boy has had free reign of the house with my other dog for the last 4 weeks while I am at work and I come home daily to a house that is still in one piece. Bub will tell you the same, they are just not destructive when exercised well! :thumbsup:

Dee, just make sure you get a Goldie pup and there won't be much other 'puppy stuff' to worry about!

My 6 month old boy has had free reign of the house with my other dog for the last 4 weeks while I am at work and I come home daily to a house that is still in one piece. Bub will tell you the same, they are just not destructive when exercised well! :thumbsup:

Yup!!!! I have to agree with GR!!!

I had the easiest time with my pup. Sure there was a TONNE of effort involved in entertaining and training her but she has NEVER set a foot wrong! She has never dug, chewed, barked etc. And she is one of those madcap bouncy dogs as well, not a mellow wallflower. She had free reign of the house at 6 months and I have all my stuff strewn everywhere!

Bubby was 11 months when I got him and I think it was great for me as he was my first dog. He was toilet trained and just so well behaved I didnt have to do much with him besides walk him, feed him and pat him. He gave me confidence and prepared me for Bitty I think. I would not have been so organised with Bitty if she was my first dog. I did a lot of things wrong with Bubby and a lot of experiments whereas Bitty has a textbook, calm upbringing.

Edited by Bub

We adopted Floyd (9year old pom from Hawkesbury Companion Animal Shelter )

He has been a delight :thumbsup: :thumbsup: we love him to bits we take him and Honey (14years) every where.

So we go to Valla Beach Caravan park last October he love the beach so much it was hard getting him back to the c/park

Edited by swampy

I've had my girl for almost 2 years. She was an ex-puppy farm breeding bitch (so never had a name, never mind a recall!) who was too scared to even be in the house at first.

She now has an excellent recall. When I call her she runs like the klappers. I have even called her off chasing a bird.

So it can be done! It is something I train a bit every single day and she always gets some yummy food, lots of praise and a scratch behind the ears when she comes to me.

I'll try to download a photo of it when I have the time.

megan, after more than 4 years with training most days and spending money on trainers, books, DVDs .... I still have a dog with little to no recall.

This dog has otherwise great obedience skills. He is just very clever, too smart for his own good. He should have been an assistance dog, he needs a job to keep him out of trouble :thumbsup: