Homeless People And Pets - Accommodation

Sonite

Hi

just wondering if anyone knows of shelters or accommodation for homeless people in Melbourne where they can also take their pets?

I've googled and also spoken to a couple of homeless services but no luck - does anyone know of any accommodation for homeless people where they can also take their pet?

Edited by Sonite

Please don't flame me for this because I am commenting on QLD and not VIC but housing commission (known as social housing up here) work on a priority list so a homeless person is certainly identified as having very high need. And the kind of accom offered to a single person is different from that offered to a family so they wouldn't be competing or bumping each other off the top of the list. I always worry with homeless people because how does someone let them even know if accom becomes available unless they can afford a mobile phone or they have someone who can recieve mail on their behalf? Often people think they are on a waiting list but they have come off it after not responding to offers of accom or providing all the paperwork required.

If you are speaking to her again encourage her to contact housing again or to get her social worker to do it on her behalf. There are inherent problems with people with mental health issues remembering appointments or being able to maintain a tenancy, taking their meds, etc. A lot of people living rough also find it difficult to follow the rules of shelters and govt. Certainly owning a pet doesn't exclude her from crisis, short term or long term accom assistance but she is obviously fearful of being parted from her dog and a shelter will still have health and safety concerns for the other residents (ie no dogs sleeping with the people).

The other thing you can check with Housing Comm in your state is if there are any community housing organisations that you can provide her information about. Community housing is operated by non-government organisations for marginalised people and often it is short to medium term with the view of getting people out of a crisis and into longer term accom. It also enables people not good with dealing with govt a community based option. Often people living rough have a range of support needs and all these can be case managed by a community org.

Hope this helps in some way. Good on you for caring. It is hard to see people like this.

.Salvos are no use - there are at least half a dozen men outside their drop in centre in Bourke Street every morning who have dogs and the lady tells me they insisted that she put her dog into a 'cage' - assume she means a dog shelter.

I would think that they meant a crate rather than a shelter. How big is the dog????

Housing Commission/Public Housing in Victoria is not a quick turn around at the moment, even as a priority case in most inner city areas you would possibly be looking at a 7-10 year wait for a property...so many people requiring housing.. :thumbsup:

Pets are ok in public housing in Victoria as long as it is within council guidelines :thumbsup:

Also some people dont want to be housed, as odd as it sounds, some people prefer to live on the streets, its their life and unfortunately for most the only one they have ever know. There are many places of accomodation, most option for singles are rooming houses, with shared facilities, most feel safer sleeping in the park across the street than in the rooming house.

Edited by Pockets

I will have to dig it out but somewhere in my stuff I have a name of a rooming house located near the Tassie ferry where they did allow peopel to keep their pets, or at least they did a few years ago. Times change and sadly rooming houses that were a wonderful half way for homeless especially elderley folk. Yes ok they were or at least could be a bit rough too I know.

I work in Public Housing and the situation for elderley homeless tears my heart out, I know of at least half a dozen pensioners who this very wet season are living long grass or in tents in some of the bush areas in and around Darwin, the wait list for a 1 bedroom place is counted in years. One old Gentleman came by the office every few days, always clean and tidy, but always with a mark on one shoulder of his shirt, turned out he had a small lovebird who shared his tent with him, every morning he would cycle from the northern suburbs to Fanny Bay and a old friend of his would let him take a shower and shave and would also care for his bird for the day, in the evening he would call by and take the bird with him to his little camp. He would not go into a hostel as he was always worried someone might hurt his little mate.

We haven't seen him for quite some time now, I often think of his situation and whisper a little prayer when I am tucked up in my bed with a Whiipet each side of me.

Whilst not denying help to all of those who have lost homes in floods, cyclones and fires I cannot help but wonder why it takes these type of events to bring the homeless to mind when every State in Australia has many thousands of homeless people every night of the year - many of whom are in that situation through no fault of their own, some of whom are that new class of homeless, the working poor.

Annie

Public housing lists in Victoria are all in in definate in other words none are coming up people are not leaving for a one bedroom unit your looking at 15 years wait and for a 4 bedroom house 20+ years. I know as I am currently going through housing applications with them now. Support housing priority is 3-4 years. As for pets your allowed to have them in Victoria as someone stated within council guidelines. The paperwork you require is unreal particularly for a priority which I am trying to get in support housing.

Also that if you are looking for priority housing applications you MUST prove you cannot get private rental properties. Eg being on the TICA register etc. You must apply for rentals through estate agents, private landlords etc when denied you must have proof of this etc. Then and only then will they allow you to be put on the priority and it then has to go to the committee for their approval. I guess this would mean that if you cannot secure a place to live with your dog as you do not want to give it up they would probably not accept that. Things are really desperate public housing wise and the office would not accept a dog for being an excuse to not get a home or rental. General housing is at it's greatest demand.

Edited by PRADA68

Public housing lists in Victoria are all in in definate in other words none are coming up people are not leaving for a one bedroom unit your looking at 15 years wait and for a 4 bedroom house 20+ years. I know as I am currently going through housing applications with them now. Support housing priority is 3-4 years. As for pets your allowed to have them in Victoria as someone stated within council guidelines. The paperwork you require is unreal particularly for a priority which I am trying to get in support housing

I'm not at all surprised. Public housing in Vic is a shambles. An ex friend of mine was provided with a 2 bedroom unit for the disabled when her elderly mother was alive. She put her mother in a nursing home 2 months after they moved into the unit and the mother died within 3 months, but the perfectly able bodied daughter is still occupying the unit 12 years later though she lives alone and has, on occasion, rented the other bedroom out. This is a very nice single story unit that was fairly new when they moved in.

Her neighbour in the similar adjoining 2BR unit left to live with her boyfriend and that unit was vacant for 26 months before Public housing put new tenants in. I think they only took action because people in the street kept complaining about the state of neglect of the property. The place was clearly vacant and it's a wonder squatters didn't move in. She said she advised the housing commission...or whatever they're called now, that she was vacating

Then there is another woman I know who has a public housing unit in Toorak amongst privately owned properties. Public housing provided the unit for her 12 years ago. She hasn't lived in the unit for the last 9 years because she's been living with a series of boyfriends. I guess she's still paying the rent or they would surely have put someone else in there. This too is a 2BR unit. Her child was 4yo when she moved in and he's now 16yo.

The Public Housing system needs a huge overhaul. There are desperate families and singles living in cars and on the streets while perfectly good properties remain vacant. If they got their act together there would be more properties available for those in need.

Just a shameless reminder that PACERS can sometimes help with foster caring for pets whilst people are homeless. I have just finished a three month stint fostering two small dogs when the owner became homeless (and then went into a hospital for treatment). Due to circumstances she was not able to visit or have the dogs visit her but we spoke regularly (and she talked to the dogs over the phone). Dogs were returned to her yesterday.

I know foster care is not permanent but I did have a gentleman who was interested in having them in long term foster care if she was unable to find something suitable within the three months.

Dear All - thank you so much for your responses - all spot on observations of this awful situation.

To 'carlins' mum' - have a look at this website for elderly homeless in Melbourne - http://www.wintringham.org.au/ - maybe someone in your state may be inspired to replicate.

Ams - there is no way in the world she will consider foster care - or a shelter

Yes - the public housing situation is in a shambles and will be a long time before it's sorted - I doubt this lady is ever going to qualify and therefore needs to find an alternative.

Yesterday I had a long talk to "M" and was able to put together a story for a homeless support service who focus on people like "M". So fingers crossed - however - they emphasised that the dog narrowed the choices dramatically.

Why is this so? - did anyone see this story - http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/homeless...1220-192hr.html

and particularly the quote: "He’s my whole life ... I used to be addicted to drugs. Ever since I’ve had this dog, he keeps me not on drugs."

In the meantime I will continue to support "M" as best I can whenever I can find her.

Edited by Sonite

Hi

just wondering if anyone knows of shelters or accommodation for homeless people in Melbourne where they can also take their pets?

I've googled and also spoken to a couple of homeless services but no luck - does anyone know of any accommodation for homeless people where they can also take their pet?

Just updating and hoping someone might come up with a recommendation?

post-199-1297892771_thumb.jpg

In most situations we go for foster care but the owners can still visit and take the dogs out for walks etc

However, we have also been able to help find temporary accommodation etc too.

Dont under estimate our support system or our ability to help.You will need to go to our website and fill out the application for assistance and we will see what we can do.

www.mdbapacers.org.au and the menu with forms for applications for assistance are on the right hand menu.

Julie Nelson

Edited by Steve

Just a shameless reminder that PACERS can sometimes help with foster caring for pets whilst people are homeless. I have just finished a three month stint fostering two small dogs when the owner became homeless (and then went into a hospital for treatment). Due to circumstances she was not able to visit or have the dogs visit her but we spoke regularly (and she talked to the dogs over the phone). Dogs were returned to her yesterday.

I know foster care is not permanent but I did have a gentleman who was interested in having them in long term foster care if she was unable to find something suitable within the three months.

You Rock Ams - you went way over and beyond to help that poor girl and her dogs and I hope when she picked them up she told you how bloody awesome you are.

Just it case she didnt EVERYONE - AMS IS AWESOME! Thank you.

Hi

Just updating and hoping someone might come up with a recommendation?

l know a 22 year old male in the same situation.

He would be fine if he had another homeless person to share with.

The rentals here in gippslands to dear for a person not working.

Houseing in a state and NO emergency accomadtion here :thumbsup:

Just shocking ...