What Breed Do You Think This Dog Is?

Kelpiegal

I'll try & get another front on pic later today & post it up.

From my understanding he is under the 18 month range in age. Not sure of exact age but definitely under that.

The couple who have purchased him got him at a shelter in rural Victoria, so he hasn't come from Melbourne area. Definitely country area (Shepparton to be precise.)

So far I believe he is fitting in extremely well & with some training should become a lovely forever pet for this couple.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest english.ivy
If he's a pup... he looks like an Akita something?
I saw Akita/Shiba Inu in there... ;)

Looks like an akita pup to me too.

He has an akita face to me.

My cousin just got an akita cross pup from a shelter and this guy has the same shaped face and muzzle.

It is a mongrel. If you want to know what breed your dog is, buy a purebred. Then you will know. You will never know what this dog, or any other mongrel is.

I don't see any harm in being curious about what breeds could be mixed? It's not the OP's dog, and he's come from a shelter with the owners fully aware he's a crossbreed. I don't see the point in throwing out the education rant in this case.

To the OP - my breed knowledge is terrible, so nothing to add except he's gorgeous!

My cousin just got an akita cross pup from a shelter and this guy has the same shaped face and muzzle.

He certainly doesn't have anything remotely spitz like as a tail!!

I agree.

Aside from the colouring around the muzzle I see no Akita in that dog at all, nor do I see any Shiba

Guest english.ivy

I agree.

Aside from the colouring around the muzzle I see no Akita in that dog at all, nor do I see any Shiba

Isn't that what i mixed breed is? Bit of something here and a bit of something else over there?

I agree.

I'm jumping on the No Akita bandwagon too...

Isn't that what i mixed breed is? Bit of something here and a bit of something else over there?

Possibly but given that the dog is not large, is long backed, doesn't have a spitz tail and there are far more common explanations for a pointed muzzle and ears, I don't see why you'd identify see Akita there.

We're all guessing but my guesswork begins with more common breeds. Witness the number of times we've heard "deerhound cross" for medium sized dogs that look just like poodle crosses. Wire coat can exist in a crossbred of two breeds, neither of which possess it.

It is a mongrel. If you want to know what breed your dog is, buy a purebred. Then you will know. You will never know what this dog, or any other mongrel is.

I think there's a heap of difference between saying a dog IS a mix of certain breeds....& saying the dog has a LOOK like certain breeds.

People I know in South Australia have a little dog whose background they know....from quite a few generations of mixed-breeds in their small town. Coco looks exactly like a tibbie, but there's not the slightest evidence a tibbie ever came near her known ancestors. It's still an uncommon breed, anyway. She even got the slightly bowed front legs, after an operation to correct some bone condition!

Coco sure has the look of a tibbie. But she's not.

I think there's a heap of difference between saying a dog IS a mix of certain breeds....& saying the dog has a LOOK like certain breeds.

People I know in South Australia have a little dog whose background they know....from quite a few generations of mixed-breeds in their small town. Coco looks exactly like a tibbie, but there's not the slightest evidence a tibbie ever came near her known ancestors. It's still an uncommon breed, anyway. She even got the slightly bowed front legs, after an operation to correct some bone condition!

Coco sure has the look of a tibbie. But she's not.

Years ago a friend of the family had a corgi/peke cross that looked a lot like a Tibetan - not that any of us knew that Tibetans existed back then.

I agree.

My point is you need to look at more then colouring to guess what could be in a dog.

Any number of crosses could have produced that colour combination, its far more likely that the dog has GSD in it then a rare breed like an Akita.

Yes, this is the only guess I would agree with.

Although some may prefer to call it cross bred, mixed breed, or mutt.

The dog is a medium sized, medium coated dog of a coat pattern and color that is extremely common and in many breeds. It's head shape is moderate, there is nothing at all to suggest what breeding happenned to create that dog.

To suggest a rare breed like an akita is pretty far-fetched. Much more likely to be a mix or mixes of common breeds. But the breeding of the dog was not a concern at all when the dog was bought, so I don't see why trying to guess it now would be helpful in anyway.

It is disappointing that on a purebreed forum, so many people seem to be unaware of how genetics work. Dogs all have thousands of times more common genes than they do unique, breed specific genes. The unique genes don't get expressed unless there is one from both parents. When you mix two breeds you don't get the sum of both breeds, you lose the defining characteristics of those breeds.

Edited by Greytmate

Probably one of the best and most honest answers I've ever seen on DOL.

I think that everyone here knows this - especially on this forum of all places. Hardly worthy of éclat ... :laugh:

Sometimes it's just a bit of harmless fun to guess what breeds might be in the mix even if you're never going to get a definitive answer. :confused:

Besides, even with a purebreed, for many of them you'll never know for sure exactly what breeds went into the original genetic cocktail, way, way back when ... Even the Poodle which has been around for many, many centuries is said to have its history and origin "shrouded in antiquity and hypothesis" ... :laugh:

In any case, it's not the OP who acquired the mongrel ... and it's natural human curiosity to want to know of what Bits are in a Bitsa ...

Edited by koalathebear