Em's Early Retrieving Training

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love her - I'm so glad you all do too :laugh:

She's soft and sweet at the same time as being super enthusiastic and her tail never stops wagging!!!

That's the first video we've taken of her heeling for ages so it was really good to see what I need to work on (for both of us ;) )

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cross-posted from the retrieving thread for those interested in Miss Em's ongoing training...

Last weekend I drove 4 hours to Howlong in NSW to stay with LL and a lovely friend/Wei breeder/retrieving trialler. Between us in the house there were 6 Weis, 4 Labs and 1 little Springy Ding :laugh: Unfortunately I had a rotten headache all weekend but we still got some good training done.....we had larger bodies of water to train on than Em had experienced previously and I was really surprised at how well she went. The first 2 water marks on Saturday were fabulous and she didn't even look like cheating. She thought about cheating on the way back from a couple of other water marks but took my handle back into the water very well. In fact, she handled much better in the water than I expected her to. We introduced her to the thrower and I made the mistake of putting a few too many novel aspects in one mark - she is used to the bumper boys but not the manual thrower/person appearing out of "nowhere" and got a bit of a fright! But she soon realised that birdies came out of the thrower and we got there in the end. I finished off the weekend having a much better understanding of where Em is at. I didn't have a lot of video footage to play with as we were all busy with our own dogs and I didn't have spare tapes but I hope you enjoy a small sample of what Em and I got up to....

Wow! That was awesome TSD! Go Em!

Thankyou raineth! I wasn't sure if it would make much sense to a non-retrieving person (I'm assuming you are!) so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's also very hard to explain just how difficult even these novice retrieves are. So many people tell me that their dog would love retrieving trials but it's a lot more than fetching a ball :laugh:

Wow! That was awesome TSD! Go Em!

Thankyou raineth! I wasn't sure if it would make much sense to a non-retrieving person (I'm assuming you are!) so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's also very hard to explain just how difficult even these novice retrieves are. So many people tell me that their dog would love retrieving trials but it's a lot more than fetching a ball :laugh:

yep I could definitely be classed as a non-retrieving person!

I certainly hardly know anything about retrieving, but the skill in what you were doing and the way Em was working so well was very apparent to me :)

That was excellent video footage and you and Em are doing very well. Talk about speed!! :thumbsup:

I think you're earlier experiences of retrieve trialling/training were with LL? If I'm right, then seems to me LL has set you very much in the right direction and credit to you for taking everything on board and putting excellence in training with Em :). Well done, TSD. :)

That was excellent video footage and you and Em are doing very well. Talk about speed!! :thumbsup:

I think you're earlier experiences of retrieve trialling/training were with LL? If I'm right, then seems to me LL has set you very much in the right direction and credit to you for taking everything on board and putting excellence in training with Em :). Well done, TSD. :)

Thanks Erny. Hey TSD, when you read this thread (after we travel to Bendigo this afternoon for yet again MORE TRAINING and away from home stays), leaving our darling husbands chained to the kitchen sink. Anyway, you should appreciate me TSD. I know I appreciate you!!!! Our endless discussions especially on the science of training, is so much fun.

Thanks Kavik and Erny - she's a very funny little thing - I will have to teach her to stand on her hind legs in heavy cover so I can see her :laugh:

LL - just don't keep me awake talking all bloody night at next weekend's trial or I'll short sheet your bed :rofl:

For raineth and anyone else who is interested there is a simplified description of retrieving trialling here. Snippets quoted below:

What is a Retrieving Trial?

A Retrieving Trial is an event at which competitions for the working of registered Gundogs are conducted, both on land and in or through water, to determine their relative merits in the field under conditions that simulate, as closely as possible, those that may be found while hunting, but at the same time bringing the work of each dog within an ambit of equality where assessments can be fairly made. In other words, Retrieving Trials are designed to promote and evaluate the style of work that a gundog may encounter during a typical day out duck hunting.

In Australia there are generally four levels of competition.

A Novice Stake is a stake confined to Gundogs that have not won any other stake other than two Novice Stakes. A typical Novice Stake involves three separate single marked retrieves, with a land mark, and in-water mark and an across-water mark retrieve.

A Restricted Stake is a stake confined to Gundogs that have not won three Restricted Stakes or an All Age Stake or have been place first or second in a Championship Stake. At this level of competition multiple retrieves are introduced which are usually designed to test a dogs understanding of basic concepts as a precursor to the more advanced work required at All Age and Championship levels.

An All Age Stake is a stake confined to Gundogs that have won a Novice Stake or have placed first, second or third in a Restricted Stake. A “blind” retrieve must be included. A typical All Age Stake involves three Runs (Series) each requiring three items of game to be recovered.

A Championship Stake is a stake confined to Gundogs that have been placed first in a Restricted Stake or first, second or third in an All Age Stake. A Championship Stake shall consist of no less than four retrieves (series), with at least 9 items of game to be retrieved. At least two blinds shall be included and the dogs must be tested for steadiness from a hide on at least one occasion.

A National Championship Retrieving Trial shall consist of at least seven retrieves (or series) with at least 15 items of game to be recovered. At least two blinds shall be included. A retrieve containing a blind leg is not acceptable unless the dog is tested for steadiness from behind a hide.

The differing scenarios may include, but not be limited to, combinations of the following:

A Single Mark Retrieve shall be a retrieve where only one object of game is cast and is to be retrieved.

A Walk-up Retrieve is one where the dog is walking at heel; the game is cast at which the handler “shoots”. Immediately the handler pauses to “shoot” the dog shall sit, drop or remain steady until ordered by the handler to retrieve.

Wounded Game Retrieve which maybe either a bird or rabbit. When a bird is used it is cast as in a single mark retrieve, but the game is attached to a line which is then used to drag it a distance of at least 20 metres (25yds). The bird is then picked up and a fresh bird is left in its stead.

A Blind Find Retrieve is a retrieve where a dog is placed in such position that the flight, fall or placement of the game cannot be seen. The Judge may direct that the dog be placed in a hide, ideally made from natural materials, and in close proximity to the Firing Point (Line).

A Double Mark Retrieve shall consist of two marked retrieves that may include both land and water.

A Double Blind Retrieve The game will be located as in a double mark, with the both items of game being placed so that the dog cannot sight them.

A Double Rise Retrieve shall consist of a retrieve where one object of game is cast and two shots are fired (by the handler) in quick succession at or near the apex of the cast. While the dog is returning with the first object of game, a second object of game is cast or placed within 10 metres of the original fall, but at a distance greater from the Firing Point. This second object of game is to be retrieved immediately following the delivery to hand of the first object of game. In other words, the dog must return to the old fall and resume its hunt for the second item of game.

A Two-Bird Retrieve (A Bulldog Retrieve). The first item of game is cast from concealed cover and one shot is fired. While the dog is returning with this item of game, a second item of game is cast and a shot is fired, so that the dog may see or hear the fall of this game. The second item of game should fall at least 20 metres from the first item of game and at a distance greater than 40 metres from the Firing Point.

A Double Fall Retrieve The first item of game is cast from concealed cover and one shot is fired and the dog is sent to complete the retrieve. While the dog is on its way out a second item of game is cast and a shot is fired, so that the dog may see or hear the fall of this game. The first item of game must be retrieved before the second. The second item of game shall be cast to land not less than 20 metres from the line to the first and not more than 40 metres from the Firing Point.

A Mark and Blind Retrieve; a Triple Mark; a Triple Retrieve with two blinds and one mark; a Triple Retrieve with two marks and one blind are some of the typical combinations.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• 3 months later...