Prices For Vaccinations

Bullbreedlover

I have to get my dogs booster vaccinations.

There are no ifs or buts about it. I dont believe in yearly vaccinations but that is not the point.

So far I have had 4 different prices.

The first price from my vet close by(and I cant remember what I paid last year) just about floored me. The other prices were nearly up there as well.

One price I got is from a vet in Brisbane. It would actually be worth me driving all the way to Brisbane and back to get my dogs vaccinated than it would be to get them done locally. :thumbsup:

Now, I used to work at a large Vet Club back in NZ. I know what the vaccinations cost 4 years ago. OK so it is 4 years ago, but still.

These prices are standard prices. Yes I know a consult is built into the price etc etc.

The highest price I got quoted was $87.00 each for a C5.

The lowest prices would still be worth me driving to Brisbane instead.

What does everyone else pay?

And I was also told that they do not do a 3 year Booster as parvo in the area is quite bad.

That is not to say that other vets dont.

What does everyone else pay and do you expect the full works with each and every dog when they get vaccinated.

I know that each vet says they give the dogs a full check over, but it is not necessary all the time and why should you have to pay for all that when you dont want it.

I have two older dogs and a younger one. The last time the two older dogs saw a vet was a year ago for their last booster. The younger one 15 months ago .

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I work we charge $92 for a C5, or $72 for a C3.

Multiple pets get a discount. Say if you had 3 dogs wanting C5's the first one would be charged at $92, and the other 2 dogs are $81.40 each.

Same discount applies with the C3. First one is $72, then subsequent dogs are $61.40

ETA: I know alot of people would rather just pay for the vaccination and no check up, but our vets wouldn't let that happen. Every dog and cat, no matter how many come in together get a full check up. To say it's not necessary "all the time" is pushing it I think. If your idea of "all the time" is annually, then I don't think that is overkill at all. It's almost like a human going to the Dr once in 7 years.

If the vet were to vaccinate a dog or cat that they believed had an underlying condition, they could be putting the animal at risk, and also themselves.

Many owners do know what to look for, but oh so many have no idea what is "normal" for a/their dog.

Edited by Sir WJ

Does weight play a part in it? 'Cause I had a rescue recently, and had her done with her desex surgery at a vet I don't normally use (as she had another tricky procedure done and I trusted the surgeon). She was 3.5kg and a C3 was $80. I thought that was a bit steep actually. It was not an upmarket clinic, they just happen to have an excellent surgeon. :thumbsup:

Last year when I had my 40kg+ dogs done by my usual vet they were around $50 each for a C3.

Does weight play a part in it? 'Cause I had a rescue recently, and had her done with her desex surgery at a vet I don't normally use (as she had another tricky procedure done and I trusted the surgeon). She was 3.5kg and a C3 was $80. I thought that was a bit steep actually. It was not an upmarket clinic, they just happen to have an excellent surgeon. :thumbsup:

Last year when I had my 40kg+ dogs done by my usual vet they were around $50 each for a C3.

No weight shouldn't play a part at all in vaccinations. Surgery yes, due to larger quantities of drugs/consumables etc used, but not for a vaccination.

If we are vaccinating a dog that is having surgery, they get the discounted price that I posted above.

The only time we ever split a vaccination between animals is a C3 vacc between 5 ferrets.

Edited by Sir WJ

We pay breeders rates of around $30-$35 for a C3. Can't remember exactly how much the last ones were. No idea on C5 because I never use it.

That includes a check of temp, heart, feeling all over for lumps, etc but the cheaper rate is because the vet doesn't have to go through all the questions about how the dog is doing with her breeder clients. She knows we will ask if we have any issues, so the visit is usually just a few minutes not the 15-20 minutes she spends with the average pet owner when they come in for vaccination. This is a breeder vet with mostly breeder clients in Sydney.

Generally every year I do a ring around and my regular vets is usually the cheapest for the C5, about $56 each with the 2 dog discount, I didn't ring around this year and nearly died when I was charged $87 each at the same vet. The full check included at my vets is a quick look at the teeth, check the heart beat and take temp.

The entire appointment for the 2 dogs takes 5min max.

I don't expect to get a discount for having 2 dogs as they are both getting equal treatment - although when I get the discount I don't knock it back. It was just a shock this year when it went up so dramatically.

Every dog gets a full check over, which imo is necessary. We have a discount for multiple dogs and also a separate breeder discount, which is just one consult fee and then of course the cost of the vaccinations for the puppies.

usually vaccinations are around $100 which is typical in our area.

AT another vet I have worked out in a different area vaccinations were $50.

Where I work we charge $92 for a C5, or $72 for a C3.

Multiple pets get a discount. Say if you had 3 dogs wanting C5's the first one would be charged at $92, and the other 2 dogs are $81.40 each.

Same discount applies with the C3. First one is $72, then subsequent dogs are $61.40

ETA: I know alot of people would rather just pay for the vaccination and no check up, but our vets wouldn't let that happen. Every dog and cat, no matter how many come in together get a full check up. To say it's not necessary "all the time" is pushing it I think. If your idea of "all the time" is annually, then I don't think that is overkill at all. It's almost like a human going to the Dr once in 7 years.

If the vet were to vaccinate a dog or cat that they believed had an underlying condition, they could be putting the animal at risk, and also themselves.

Many owners do know what to look for, but oh so many have no idea what is "normal" for a/their dog.

This is about the same as us. A little bit more for the Intranasal KC and then a little bit more again for the Triennial C3 + KC.

It's the cost of a consultation, plus the addition of the cost of the vaccine. About $10 or so less for each subsequent pet.

I would imagine some clinics that do a lot of vaccines may be able to purchase them cheaper for buying in bulk. We're just a small clinic on the 3 yearly protocol so we don't go through that many really, so only buy a box or so every few weeks.

People should also know that the vaccine label calls for a check-up prior to administering. So to just 'whack it in' without a consultation is 'off label'.

The previous owners of this clinic used to let one of the nurses vacc some of the animals who were in boarding. It was amazing how many older dogs we discovered with obvious heart murmurs and other problems after taking over, who were obviously not checked thoroughly when given their vaccines.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see the price of vacc's rise as more vets adopt the 3 yearly protocol. The registered 3yearly vacc costs us about $7-8 more for each vaccine, so obviously that's accounted for in our price. But I know there are some vets out there who have adopted the new protocol, however charge extra for the vaccine on top of usual mark up, to account for the fact they may not be getting the annual vaccine money they were previously.

I don't agree with this at all, but I guess its a consequence of wanting reduced vaccination.

Edited by stormie

A C5 is $88 from memory

A trienniel with canine cough is around $160, then of course you would need canine cough yearly if that is the protocol you follow. It ends up costing more to do the trienniel + canine cough than the yearly because they do not want people to go the trienniel route.

They don't have C3 only it is C4 and C5 only.

3 dogs + is a 10% discount, 5 + dogs is a 20% discount.

Guest bigdogg

I purchased some direct through a vet a few years ago at cost price..

C5 was $11 each

I vaccinated all of my dogs myself..

I just do the Parvac vaccination now.