Chia Seed - Is It Safe For Dogs?

Tapua

We were thinking of adding Chia seed to our dogs diet but I am unsure it is OK for dogs. We grind our own beef and vegies and I was thinking we could add the seed through the grinder to crack it. Has anyone used Chia seed?

Edited by Tapua

Tapua,

I believe from memory you need to add as required, cracking it as you say or placing it in moisture will activate the seed but its properties once activated only last for certain period, hence adding it to food as required is the best way to administer it. We have been using it for some time and the dogs coats are looking great. A little goes a long way!

Tapua,

I believe from memory you need to add as required, cracking it as you say or placing it in moisture will activate the seed but its properties once activated only last for certain period, hence adding it to food as required is the best way to administer it. We have been using it for some time and the dogs coats are looking great. A little goes a long way!

OK I was wondering about that - we will go with soaking before we use it - I was wondering how often per week do you add to their feed?

Yep, it's safe my dogs had it for a very long time, I would make up a container which I added water to to make a gel which is safe to keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.

For Danes we added 1 tablespoon.

I actually have half a bag here that anyone is welcome to, it lasts forever.

Edited by MEH

Guest english.ivy

What goodness does it give the dogs?

I'm going to start making my dogs food so looking into what I can add which they will get goodness from.

I've got garlic, kelp and puree veg so far ..

I'm going to start making my dogs food so looking into what I can add which they will get goodness from.

Be very careful with garlic & kelp, english ivy. Garlic is a member of the Allium family, the onion genus, so potentially poisonous in large amounts. I used to feed garlic now & again, but one of my dogs who has an auto-immune disorder is unable to stomach it, so I have ceased feeding it.

Kelp should be fed only two or three times per week to avoid excess iodine uptake which is harmful.

Chia seed is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. I would imagine it would have similar nutritional characteristics to flax seed (linseed). If the seed is fed, then it would double as a source of fibre. I am going to look into chia seed myself, as the dog I referred to above is unable to process fats in the liver & is consequently unable to digest flaxseed or fish oil, no matter how small the amount.

Guest english.ivy

Be very careful with garlic & kelp, english ivy. Garlic is a member of the Allium family, the onion genus, so potentially poisonous in large amounts. I used to feed garlic now & again, but one of my dogs who has an auto-immune disorder is unable to stomach it, so I have ceased feeding it.

Kelp should be fed only two or three times per week to avoid excess iodine uptake which is harmful.

Chia seed is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. I would imagine it would have similar nutritional characteristics to flax seed (linseed). If the seed is fed, then it would double as a source of fibre. I am going to look into chia seed myself, as the dog I referred to above is unable to process fats in the liver & is consequently unable to digest flaxseed or fish oil, no matter how small the amount.

I ran out of garlic the other week so hmm maybe I won't buy anymore for them. They don't get fleas anyway.

Might read into chia for the dogs. I was looking at taking it myself but wasn't sure if it was just a fad, so to speak.

Thanks for the heads up on garlic and kelp :laugh:

Unfortunately you will most likely exacerbate the problem then. I worked for the company who introduced chia seed to Australia for 5 years and have experimented with the whole seed, crushed, ground, straight oil products etc on and off over the years. The high oil content will give dogs with sensitive tummies the squirts.

Add to food as required and dont grind in advance as once the seed is broken the oil will begin to oxidise.

Unfortunately you will most likely exacerbate the problem then. I worked for the company who introduced chia seed to Australia for 5 years and have experimented with the whole seed, crushed, ground, straight oil products etc on and off over the years. The high oil content will give dogs with sensitive tummies the squirts.

Add to food as required and dont grind in advance as once the seed is broken the oil will begin to oxidise.

We have great stools whilst on Chia Seed, no issues at all.

For a dog with issues you would have to start at a low dose and work up and would be a good idea to consult a holistic Vet who is familar with Chia Seed.

Edited by MEH

Tapua,

OK I was wondering about that - we will go with soaking before we use it - I was wondering how often per week do you add to their feed?

I add when I remember to add it, maybe three to four times a week and sometimes it may be over a week before I add it. It really depends on what the dogs are getting fed. We do a BARF style diet with our guys, so we can feed meaty bones for days and miss meals as such for a few more.

I have been taking it as well as the OH, I don't have it everyday it depends on what I have for breakfast, but I do find in very high in fibre for the humans and the dogs, you only need to use no more than a teaspoon at a time for both, we have Rottweilers so a large dog. I think it is a super product and it gives a nutty type flavour so it is very tasty as well as extremely benificial.

ETA; I have a dog that does not do well with flaxseed oil, he gets itchy when I use it with him. I use Chia with him and have swapped all of ours over to Chia, all are doing very well on it!

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Thanks for the tip, peigirl, although he doesn't get the squirts, but needs to rush out outside, eat copious amounts of grass & vomit about 10 minutes later :) . Fish oil is the worst, I am up & down all night letting him in & out...... we just don't get any sleep at all as he yips to go out & then barks if he is left outside!

I actually feed very few supplements, just a tsp of granulated rose hips every couple of days for vitamin C. The dogs get a varied BARF diet so get all the nutrients they need from their food.

:)

+1

• 9 months later...

I was hoping to find a thread on this! I'd never heard of it before but bought a bag of it at my local fodder store. It is made by Ford Foods in Vic.

Anyway it looks & sounds good so thought I'd give it a try with my 2 & also a new foster coming in on Friday.

What results have you had Cosmolo?

Would be interested to know how pets have improved (or not) from taking it...