Yellow Dicharge

chellz

Hi my 6 month old lab has yellow discharge in her right eye.. i was wondering if it could be due to a blocked tear duct or a infection? I have just noticed it this morning and I wouldnt say it is wheeping, but when i wipe it away i notice next time i look there is another one that replaces it

Hi my 6 month old lab has yellow discharge in her right eye.. i was wondering if it could be due to a blocked tear duct or a infection? I have just noticed it this morning and I wouldnt say it is wheeping, but when i wipe it away i notice next time i look there is another one that replaces it

How long has she had it?

My dog gets discharge after sleeping, but she also has allergies. It is yellow colour but I have always assumed it is just "sleep" like humans get.

I wipe it away with a tissue and some water but it doesn't come back.

If it is not normal for you pup and you are worried i would take her to the vet

My labs get it too. My 6 month old boy gets it quite often as his bottom eyelids droop alot, and this causes minor irritation to the eye. As he gets older, and grows into his eyes, it'll reduce. My older boy has now grown out of it. The vet said it was a normal thing for dogs with droopy eyes, especially after sleep, and that it'll disappear eventally.

Guest english.ivy

My Belgian had yellow discharge from her eyes when she had canine cough and for quite awhile after while she got better. She had to go on medication to clear it up.

My Pointer gets sleep in his eyes but it isn't yellow, looks normal. His is a brown/grey colour and normally crusty and not every morning.

The yellow colour would worry me if it were my dog.

A yellow discharge CAN mean an infection - I have found in the past that regular flushing with saline solution can stop it getting any worse. You can also get Brolene eye drops from the chemist.

Speaking here from 17+ years experience of dog breeding!

Could be anything...

If the eye seems red and irritated, weepy and/or the dog is bothered by it - vet.

If it's just mucky eyes flush out with either saline, cammomile or calendula tea a few times per day and see if that helps, if not - vet.

Probiotics can help too.

My son's dog gets a yellow discharge from one eye, same thing wipe it away & it comes back. She did have a growth on that eye which came off a few weeks ago but it still gets mucky. I have sometimes washed the eye with a dilute mix of 1/4 apple cider vinegar & 3/4 filtered water which seems to help.

My cat suffers from a blocked tear duct & it sometimes waters which is clear. It goes away for a time with pressing a finger for a few seconds in the corner of the eye. A vet told me to do this when April was a baby & with her I only had to do it a few times over her life. The cat's a different proposition, have had to press on the eye quite often. When she had it bad a few weeks ago, when it wouldn't go away with the pressing, I used the apple cider vinegar mix & after 3 goes a week apart it went away.

If it doesn't go away with simple measures I'd take him to the vet.

Edited by luvsdogs