Your Experience With Registered Breeders

aussielover

Your experience with registered breeders  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What has been your experience with registered dog breeders

• Excellent- all breeders spoken to were great
    • Mixed- some breeders were good, some not so good
    • Poor- very hard to find a good breeder
  2. 2. Did you end up finding a breeder you were happy with?

• yes- easily
    • yes but in a different breed
    • Yes but after a long time/lots of effort
    • did not end up getting a dog after all
    • no, i got a dog from another source
    • no, but i got the dog anyway
  3. 3. what is your relationship with your current dogs breeder?

• Excellent- still in regular contact
    • Excellent/Good- not in contact but would not hesitate to ask for breeders help or get a second dog from same person
    • Good intially but breeder did not deal well with later problems
    • Poor- would never recommend or go back to breeder
    • Other

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bilbo Baggins
I find it rather amazing that people will not treat inquires at a show with respect, particularly if you are in group1 and you have won you will sitting around for hours.

Some people are very results driven, and focused at shows. I have dealt with a couple of breeders who were delightful, helpful over and above what could be expected, loved to educate --- but not the most helpful people at shows. I went to shows with one of them, and quickly learned to keep my mouth shut. Before the class, the mind was on preparing the dogs, afterwards - particularly if the results were not as good as expected - the mind was not going to be on anyone enquiring.

They believed shows were for showing dogs. Enquiries would be dealt with perfunctorarily - and sometimes by me!! I think people thought I was the kennel hand.

As a result I am always happy to talk to people at shows. But not everyone is

:):hitself::bolt:

I know some people will be very miffed if the do not win and pack up in a huff.

JulesP I love talking to the GP at shows. IMO its where the dogs can be seen and discussed.

In fact I am having a future puppy buyer catch up tomorrow and have a puppy fix with our new girl.

All breeders I know will remove rear dew claws. But briards must have them as part of the standard.

I have seen a horrible result because a rear dew claw being torn. :)

Well Briards may be an exception and others too. I have not verified it.

Of course, removal of dew claws is prophylactic but that does not dismiss the fact that a strategically utilised dew claw could easily, and does horrendously, disembowel a predators stomach.

As far as the advice I have, Maremmas cannot be shown with dew claws and for good reason.

i dealt with a very unprofessional, money hungry, so called well known "top breeder" who totally took me for a ride :hitself:

after dealing with this lady since before her bitches even concieved to after pups were born, it was all nice and dandy until the time came to choose my pup.

she had promised me pick of the litter, as i was first in with a deposit. silly me paid of most of the pup before it was even born (here i was thinking i was doing the right thing) she wanted rediculous amounts for these pups because of colour. $3000 for a blue staff. so silly me thought i was getting top quality.

anyway after pups were born i drove 3 hrs to go and view the pups, gave her another $1000 and told her which one i wanted and she was so excited that i was getting this particular boy. few days past and she never returned my emails or anything. found out through facebook of all places that she had already sold the one i chose plus the other males. there was none left for me, even though she promised me first pick. i was super upset and angry. there were other breeders i could have gone with that were cheaper and closer to home, but stupid me thought because this lady has such a good rep and her dogs are more expensive, then hers must be the best.... hahahahaha how wrong was i!!!!

to this day, she still has not refunded me a single cent, nor did i get a dog from her.... she will not reply to any of my emails, texts, calls etc etc. what a low life scum of a human who advertises here on dogzonline as an accredited breeder :)

lucky for me about a month later i found a much much nicer breeder who lived only 20 mins from me, had way better dogs and were much more reasonably priced.. and i got a pup from her and couldnt be happier :0)

to this day, she still has not refunded me a single cent, nor did i get a dog from her.... she will not reply to any of my emails, texts, calls etc etc. .. who advertises here on dogzonline as an accredited breeder :)

Did you advise Troy?

I would not be letting this bone go. No way!

i dealt with a very unprofessional, money hungry, so called well known "top breeder" who totally took me for a ride :hitself:

after dealing with this lady since before her bitches even concieved to after pups were born, it was all nice and dandy until the time came to choose my pup.

she had promised me pick of the litter, as i was first in with a deposit. silly me paid of most of the pup before it was even born (here i was thinking i was doing the right thing) she wanted rediculous amounts for these pups because of colour. $3000 for a blue staff. so silly me thought i was getting top quality.

anyway after pups were born i drove 3 hrs to go and view the pups, gave her another $1000 and told her which one i wanted and she was so excited that i was getting this particular boy. few days past and she never returned my emails or anything. found out through facebook of all places that she had already sold the one i chose plus the other males. there was none left for me, even though she promised me first pick. i was super upset and angry. there were other breeders i could have gone with that were cheaper and closer to home, but stupid me thought because this lady has such a good rep and her dogs are more expensive, then hers must be the best.... hahahahaha how wrong was i!!!!

to this day, she still has not refunded me a single cent, nor did i get a dog from her.... she will not reply to any of my emails, texts, calls etc etc. what a low life scum of a human who advertises here on dogzonline as an accredited breeder :)

lucky for me about a month later i found a much much nicer breeder who lived only 20 mins from me, had way better dogs and were much more reasonably priced.. and i got a pup from her and couldnt be happier :0)

A British Bulldog breeder was recently charged with criminal offences for doing exactly what happened to you. Did you take it up with the police? I would.

Yeah I know!

If you had ever seen a 50kg Maremma kick like a kangaroo then you would have absolutely no doubt about their deadly function.

Catch an artery with one of those and its bye bye giggles.

Why do you think they've evolved? Extra bling!!! Tummy ticklers!!!!! :)

ETA You are not allowed to show dogs with rear dew claws.

Dew Claws didn't evolve, their absence is the evolution. 5 digits down to 4.

Rear dew claws can appear on any breed of any size. You CAN show dogs with rear dew claws and some breeds ask for the dew claws to be present. Pyrenean Mountain Dogs have to have 2 rear dew claws! 50kg+ Pyreneans have them in the show ring :hitself: . So do Tibetan Mastiffs and Pyrenean Mastiffs.

A front dew claw can catch an artery, as can the teeth of a Jack Russell Terrier. It doesn't make them suddenly "illegal".

A kick from a horse can do incredible damage, a kick from a large powerful breed withOUT rear dew claws can do a fair wack of damage too. Doesn't make horse hooves or front dew claws illegal.

There was rumbling that the removal of dew claws on pups would fall under the same legislation as tail docking.

In the majority of dogs, rear dew claws are removed to prevent injury to the dog not because it's illegal.

ETA You are not allowed to show dogs with rear dew claws.

Rear dew claws can appear on any breed of any size. You CAN show dogs with rear dew claws and some breeds ask for the dew claws to be present. Pyrenean Mountain Dogs have to have 2 rear dew claws! 50kg+ Pyreneans have them in the show ring :vomit: . So do Tibetan Mastiffs and Pyrenean Mastiffs.

You cannot show a Maremma with rear dew claws.

It is illegal.

I quote from the ANKC Breed Standard.

Hindquarters:

Rear Pastern (metatarsal): Strong, lean and broad. Its length is 31% of the height at the withers. Dewclaws must be removed.

Hence my comment: "You are not allowed to show dogs (read Maremmas) with rear dew claws."

Edited by pewithers

I'm on my way to getting my first puppy from a registered breeder and the experience has been awesome. She was recommended to me by a friend (who is also a breeder) and I am so glad I asked. I emailed her first, she phoned me the following day and we had a lovely chat and she invited me out to Durack to meet her and her dogs. She was super welcoming, didn't mind me hanging out in her tent all night, cuddling her dogs and even though she was in and out of the ring, she had time to answer my questions and have a chat. I was nervous about it at first, but she made me feel so welcome :vomit:

Since then, we have kept in contact, she told me when she was expecting a litter. So I emailed her a couple of weeks after the litter was due to let her know I was still interested and she has kept me in the loop with their progress. I went to visit my potential puppy earlier this week (kids in tow) and he was offered to me that day. I can't wait to get him and know I'll stay in contact with my breeder for a long time :laugh:

If you preferred phone calls, why did you advertise an email address? Valid question.......I prefer emails and for that reason, if I were advertising anything I would never include my phone number.

I still need to receive emails for my business. I'm just saying that sometimes they can get lost in the pile and mistakes happen. If people are upset that a breeder hasn't returned an email maybe they should call them to follow up than whinge that they were ignored.

It is illegal.

I quote from the ANKC Breed Standard.

Hindquarters:

Rear Pastern (metatarsal): Strong, lean and broad. Its length is 31% of the height at the withers. Dewclaws must be removed.

Hence my comment: "You are not allowed to show dogs (read Maremmas) with rear dew claws."

You said to have rear dew claws was illegal. Full Stop.

There is no LEGAL requirements involved. In *your* breed, rear dew claws are to be removed. That is not a LEGAL ruling, it's a statement in the standard. To have dew claws is a fault, it's not "illegal".

I originally found the humour in the idea that someone thought a government banned dogs with rear dew claws based on how "lethal" they are. What you were actually saying was- "In my breed, dogs are not supposed to have their dew claws", which is a legitimate and understandable comment.

Your original statement was however:

I've always understood that rear dew claws are illegal because of the lethal damage they can inflict. :vomit:

So a Pyrnenean Mountain Dog who is taller and heavier than your breed Maremma, has to have not just 1 rear dew claw on each leg but 2.

As you state:

You said to have rear dew claws was illegal. Full Stop.

There is no LEGAL requirements involved. In *your* breed, rear dew claws are to be removed. That is not a LEGAL ruling, it's a statement in the standard. To have dew claws is a fault, it's not "illegal".

Well not exactly!

It is illegal.

Illegal: unauthorized or prohibited by a code of official or accepted rules.

There is no question as to the risk involved in flouting this rule, or the function of the rear dew claw in an active working Maremma.

I don't do other breeds.

Edited by pewithers

A British Bulldog breeder was recently charged with criminal offences for doing exactly what happened to you. Did you take it up with the police? I would.

Agree.

You paid most of a $3000 price before the pups were born & an additional $1000 later. And there was an agreement it was to buy a pup. Which you never got. And you requested return of the money. But have never received it.

I've had very positive experiences with registered breeders and have been astounded with the trust that some people are willing to show in an unknown like me - trust that I have been very grateful to have. I have always been upfront and honest and kept up good communication, and have been rewarded with some wonderful relationships.

When I was looking for a dog years ago, I was finding breeders using Google and NONE of them had phone numbers on their websites. However, NONE of them replied to my emails (which I think were pretty good emails, asking about their dogs, telling them about us, etc).

The breeder I got my previous and current wheaten from, I have a great relationship with him and the breeder who introduced us. I also have a great relationship with Merijigs from whom I got Mini, although she didn't breed her. I don't know many of the kerry breeders but I do know what happened when I contacted them about one in the pound. I'll always remember the ones who didn't respond at all.

Regarding the fifth toes on the back legs, these are rear dew claws and once again are not uncommon, especially in certain breeds. Rear dew claws do not suggest that a puppy is 'positively inbred' and although most people choose to have them removed as they can easily catch and tear, rear dew claws are perfectly normal.

I've always understood that rear dew claws are illegal because of the lethal damage they can inflict. :vomit:

Seriously pewithers think it through - how on earth can rear dew claws be illegal when dogs are often born with them?

Regarding the fifth toes on the back legs, these are rear dew claws and once again are not uncommon, especially in certain breeds. Rear dew claws do not suggest that a puppy is 'positively inbred' and although most people choose to have them removed as they can easily catch and tear, rear dew claws are perfectly normal.

I've always understood that rear dew claws are illegal because of the lethal damage they can inflict. :p

Seriously pewithers think it through - how on earth can rear dew claws be illegal when dogs are often born with them?

Consult the ANKC Standard. They are not allowed on Maremmas.

They are also born with teeth.

And it is illegal for a dog to bite.

So it may not be illegal in civil law to have dew claws, and would be recommended for a working dog, but it would be unacceptable to have dogs slashing and ripping with them.

I just have this view because I've seen one of my males innately use his hind legs. ;)

I was shocked and stunned.

P.

I have had a mix of good and bad experiences. The good ones were positive, willing to talk, happy to meet to see their dogs, weren't pushy and even if we didn't go with their breed, weren't rude. One min poodle breeder in Canberra was fantastic, even after we changed our minds and got a Field instead, if I was ever going to get a poodle or recommend a breeder, it would be her - she was lovely! Very down to earth and willing to answer all our questions, including giving us a demonstration on how to clip a poodle.

Both the breeders of our dogs are lovely. We don't see them anymore as we're no longer showing, but I know that if there was anything we ever needed, they wouldn't hesitate to help us.