Your Experience With Registered Breeders

aussielover

Your experience with registered breeders  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What has been your experience with registered dog breeders

• Excellent- all breeders spoken to were great
    • Mixed- some breeders were good, some not so good
    • Poor- very hard to find a good breeder
  2. 2. Did you end up finding a breeder you were happy with?

• yes- easily
    • yes but in a different breed
    • Yes but after a long time/lots of effort
    • did not end up getting a dog after all
    • no, i got a dog from another source
    • no, but i got the dog anyway
  3. 3. what is your relationship with your current dogs breeder?

• Excellent- still in regular contact
    • Excellent/Good- not in contact but would not hesitate to ask for breeders help or get a second dog from same person
    • Good intially but breeder did not deal well with later problems
    • Poor- would never recommend or go back to breeder
    • Other

My wheatens' breeder is exceptionally good. She's always just an email away if I have any questions or problems.

I also think she's wonderful because she's heavily involved in dog rescue, and not just in relation to wheatens.

She knew that we'd be the right home for Ziggy, when his first family had to rehome him.

Edited by Mollie10

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are also born with teeth.

And it is illegal for a dog to bite.

So it may not be illegal in civil law to have dew claws, and would be recommended for a working dog, but it would be unacceptable to have dogs slashing and ripping with them.

I just have this view because I've seen one of my males innately use his hind legs. :D

I was shocked and stunned.

P.

OT - How does a dog use their hind leg dew claws to "slash and rip" things? I've honestly never seen a dog use their hind legs for defence or attack.

Pewithers:

Why do you think they've evolved? Extra bling!!! Tummy ticklers!!!!!

ETA You are not allowed to show dogs with rear dew claws.

Well unless your dogs can stand on their tails like Kangaroos do Pewithers, the chances of them using what God gave dogs for extra grip wen turning at speed or in rough terrain as effective weapons is pretty low.

Dogs fight with their teeth. I can't picture any dog madly manoevering to strike an opponent with their hind legs. To stand up or over an opponent would expose the belly - not smart in a fight.

Of course, removal of dew claws is prophylactic but that does not dismiss the fact that a strategically utilised dew claw could easily, and does horrendously, disembowel a predators stomach.

Some breed standards require rear dew claws or even double dew claws. The fact that the ANKC standard requries them removed in your breed doesn't mean that they are weapons. Indeed, if they were why would a standard for a Livestock Guardian specify removal of something that enhanced the dog's ability to perform its function. And how would a claw so curved as to embed itself in the dog if not trimmed perform effectively as a weapon on any animal? Dogs lack both the anatomy and the correct nail shape to effectively gut anything.

If you can point me towards a fatal dog attack that involved the dog killing with its hind legs or disembowling an animal with same, I'd be obliged.

Edited by poodlefan

My first "own" dog came from basicly a BYB though at the time I didn't know the difference and she told me so many lies and had so many opinions on what I should do with my dog that I won't buy from a BYB again.

Now that I'm looking at breeding the same breed I have been looking overseas for great lines to introduce to Australia. I have emailed probably 15-20 different breeders and have 2 I really like and 1 of them has even offered to look after the puppy when I buy if for the duration of it's stay in their country (9 months)

I am so happy with these breeders that I don't really have to look elsewhere but I would still like to get a reply from some of the others because there are some really great lines in Europe for White Swiss Shepherds. I think the language barrier may be part of the problem but I only emailed the ones that had an english language part of their site.

I would buy from breeders who don't have an email but having so much difference in times it is simpler for me to email.

And I am very happy with most of the breeders that have replied and others I understand that sending their puppies to Australia may be too much for them even though their lines are exactly what I was chasing.

I know this is a thread about breeders and puppy buyer experiences....but from a breeder point of view I think it is important that word gets around via word of mouth if the experience by all is a good one. For example I recently rehomed a male fawn pug to an already pugged mature couple because they came highly reccommended by the breeder of their first Pug. I hadnt thought of rehoming this dog, but it was a home no sane Pug would refuse. He has been there for just over a month now and had his first Brighton beach experience....he met a nearly 4 yr old Black pug, started playing....the slaves got talking and the Black pug was from my 2nd Black litter and I remember the lovely dads as soon as she said his pet name. So my point is go where the breed hangs out that you want and talk to the people and find out where they got their dogs from. Eg. If you want a pug go down to Elstenwick Park on a sunday morning and watch all the pugs running off leash and talk to all the crazy Pug slaves. I think we rely on the internet too much. :D

Elsternwick Park, poodle day is Saturday after 12pm

Well I had a great response - the first breeder I contacted was and still is lovely - we went on her waiting list and luckily someone dropped off so we got our pup only a couple of weeks after contacting her . Our dog is now almost 3 years old and we are still in regular contact and I know she is always there to answer any questions - I have also talked to other Lappie breeders and and they have all been great.

It is really disappointing to hear about so many bad experiences :D

Years ago I bought a SBT puppy for a partner. I didn't know any breeders so I rang the SBT Club and was pointed in the direction of a litter than contained the colour and sex that I was looking for (noooooo.... not a blue! :D ). Phone call and a 5 hour drive later I had myself a puppy. The breeder was very helpful. We already had a SBT girl and out of curiosity contacted her breeder asking if we could come and visit, simply because we wanted to meet the sire and dam (exOH already had dog when we met) they were very obliging and spent a whole saturday afternoon with us.

My past 2 ACD's have been rescues, but about 5 years ago I decided what breeder my next dog would come from. I had met several dogs bred by her and had researched the lines that would give me the temperment that I wanted. Luckily she is still breeding. When I lost my boy in April last year, I was a bit emotional and sent her an email explaining that when I was ready I would love to get one of her puppies, even sent photos of my previous 2.

She was lovely, replied to my email saying I was more than welcome to come and spend time with her dogs long before I was ready to get a puppy.

I have my new puppy now and she has been extremely helpful. Of the 8 puppies, 3 were given main registration, the one she was running on, one going to another breeder and my puppy. She said if I want to get into breeding she will help me chose a sire, even saying there is a nice dog in the Hunter Valley who would be highly suitable and is keeping with the lines started by Val Kirk many years ago.

We will keep in touch as I hope this new little girl will bring some credit to her kennels.

My experiences in buying puppies from breeders has been very good. Asking questions about starting out breeding, to other breeders has not been so encouraging!