Grain Free Kibble

Eagle Pack does a grain free and a lot of people on DOL recommend it. I use Canidae which is also grain free and I'm more than happy with it.

Guest english.ivy

Eagle Pack is also hard to get in Australia, my mum tries to feed it but often can't get any.

I highly recommend Black Hawk Holistic. Quite a few Dolers feeding this at the moment and I've been feeding it to my two for a couple of months now and it's really very good.

Also the price is extremely decent for the great quality. There are suppliers all over Australia. Plus a few threads on Dol about it.

I also want to switch my cat over to BH.

I pay $90 for 20kg, we pay more over in Perth due to shipping costs from the Eastern States. But it's still cheaper!

While I think BH is a great food, it does contain rice doesn't it?

EVO is grain free but unfortunately you can only get if from the dreaded PP or PGD and the last time I was in a PGD store (a year ago) the price had jumped by about $20-$30 a bag! :D

Why not go all raw?

Guest english.ivy

Yeah it does have ground brown rice but for the quality of it, it certainly beats most dry foods out there. The rice isn't in there as a filler.

My two don't do well on other dry food fulls of fillers but BH agrees with them.

Just my opinion as I've tried many dry foods in the last 18 months to find something that isn't a waste of money and full of corn/sorghum.

Yeah it does have ground brown rice but for the quality of it, it certainly beats most dry foods out there. The rice isn't in there as a filler.

My two don't do well on other dry food fulls of fillers but BH agrees with them.

Just my opinion as I've tried many dry foods in the last 18 months to find something that isn't a waste of money and full of corn/sorghum.

I think it's a great food too and used to feed it to my dogs when I lived in VIC so not saying it's bad or anything, it's just the OP asked about grain free food and I was just pointing out that it is not grain free. :D

Guest english.ivy

I think it's a great food too and used to feed it to my dogs when I lived in VIC so not saying it's bad or anything, it's just the OP asked about grain free food and I was just pointing out that it is not grain free. :)

Hehe I can't help myself from promoting how good BH has been for my dogs :D

But I agree with you, going completly raw seems to be the only way to be grain free ;) Though you need the dedication to keep it up and the freezer space!

If by "grain free" you want a food without any grains or cereals, then there are a few options of a similar type to Orijen.

Canidae has Grain free Salmon and Grain free ALS, which is a mixed protein product.

Artemis Maximal is chicken based grain free.

Eathborn Holistic Primitive Natural is grain free with a mixed protein similar to Orijen.

Evo (made by Natura) is grain free and it appears that at some point soonish, it will be available from a wide range of retailers, not just the PP group.

K9 Natural and Ziwipeak are grain free, but are quite different from Orijen.

Eagle Pack doesn't have a grain free food.

Hope that helps.

Sags

:D

Edited by Sagittarian

If by "grain free" you want a food without any grains or cereals, then there are a few options of a similar type to Orijen.

Canidae has Grain free Salmon and Grain free ALS, which is a mixed protein product.

Artemis Maximal is chicken based grain free.

Eathborn Holistic Primitive Natural is grain free with a mixed protein similar to Orijen.

Evo (made by Natura) is grain free and it appears that at some point soonish, it will be available from a wide range of retailers, not just the PP group.

K9 Natural and Ziwipeak are grain free, but are quite different from Orijen.

Eagle Pack doesn't have a grain free food.

Hope that helps.

Sags

:D

Oh I really hope so, I would love to try this food on my boy, but could never bring myself to pay that much for it from PP.

My youngest doesn't tolerate grains so we feed our dogs raw. But because they are working dogs and I wanted to have a dry food option ... so I have been also giving them Canidae Grain free Salmon from time to time. Both dogs love it and I have had no issues with them on it.

Edited by Tilly

I was a fan of Orijien for my last dane - not so much of a fan of the Orijien cat as my cat end up poisoned :laugh:

I have recently switched to the Canidae Grain Free Salmon as I could not get EP Power (not grain free) as I need a higher protein/ fat food.

I have been really happy with it - better poo, coat starting to improve and even better coat smell.

It seems it is a really palatable food as my picky eater has really taken to it.