Pet Mince From Butcher

MissMetal

i could be wrong, but we're pretty chatty with our Lenards manager because we have similar dog breeds, and he has told us the chicken mince is just ground up chicken carcasses

''just'' is a good thing. Chicken frames (carcasses) are excellant dog food - wish they'd sell them whole as cheaply as they sell them minced :)

The Lenards I get mine from only charges 30c a frame, or $1.25 a kilo for them minced...Its a bit of a drive from where I live but lately Ive been working right next door, its great! and the staff are so friendly, they never make you feel bad for just buying dog stuff there

Depends if the butcher makes it himself from human quality offcuts, or if he purchases it as "pet mince" to sell on (rarer, but I've seen it done).

The first may be OK, depending on what goes into it. But after seeing what is designated as "pet food" at the works, and how it's then handled in pet food factories, the second isn't something I'd feel comfortable feeding raw.

Guest english.ivy
Please don't cook mince which has bone in it - REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!

It's meant to be eaten raw, stop pandering to the dog and teach him to eat what he's given.

Please don't flame me, I'm just asking :) Why is cooked minced chicken frames bad? Just thought cooked whole bones were bad because of the way they splinter? I have been cooking the chicken mince for one of my dogs as he throws up/squirts out raw chicken. He eats it, it stays down and he poops it all out really well when it is cooked.

Really didn't think twice about the bone in the mince as it is ground and the pieces are so tiny, you could hardly tell there was bone in it.

I need to make him some more food tonight but I don't think I will now. Think I might just start feeding him something else, anything but raw.

How much does the Pet Mince from Lenards cost?

I pay $1kg for minced frames.

i could be wrong, but we're pretty chatty with our Lenards manager because we have similar dog breeds, and he has told us the chicken mince is just ground up chicken carcasses

''just'' is a good thing. Chicken frames (carcasses) are excellant dog food - wish they'd sell them whole as cheaply as they sell them minced :eek:

The Lenards I get mine from only charges 30c a frame, or $1.25 a kilo for them minced...Its a bit of a drive from where I live but lately Ive been working right next door, its great! and the staff are so friendly, they never make you feel bad for just buying dog stuff there

What Lenards shop do you go to GoldenGirl?..I did ask at the one at Victoria Point about turkey products and what went into their pet mince but the spotty youth at the counter was a bit of a knob and didn't know (more interested in his mobile phone messages).

I go to Capalaba Petfoods, they have chicken-wing mince there which the dogs love and they (petfood shop, not the dogs) got me in a big box of turkey necks (Ingam human-grade) that I will mince up today (if the mincer I bought off ebay arrives)

''just'' is a good thing. Chicken frames (carcasses) are excellant dog food - wish they'd sell them whole as cheaply as they sell them minced :laugh:

What Lenards shop do you go to GoldenGirl?..I did ask at the one at Victoria Point about turkey products and what went into their pet mince but the spotty youth at the counter was a bit of a knob and didn't know (more interested in his mobile phone messages).

I go to Capalaba Petfoods, they have chicken-wing mince there which the dogs love and they (petfood shop, not the dogs) got me in a big box of turkey necks (Ingam human-grade) that I will mince up today (if the mincer I bought off ebay arrives)

Kippa Ring ;)

As I said it is a bit of a drive for me (I live near Strathpine) but these guys always have mince in stock, its fresh daily, and the service is great!!! my local butcher only has it on occasion, and the quality is nothing compared to the lenards mince

• 3 weeks later...

I was feeding mine lenards chicken mince but then the shop stopped having it in stock, another store's mince was supposed to be fresh but my dogs wouldnt eat it and it was really watery every time i bought some. I ahve changed to chicken breast or beef mince from the supermarket mixed with vegies. They get a chicken neck each night as well also sardines a couple times a week.

It costs more to feed them but at least I am guarenteed that they will eat their dinner every night. Its not cheap if you have to throw it out because they refuse to eat it.

Try out a few different butchers for pet mince, some are pretty good others not so good. Even different batches week to week have quality control issues from most places I've bought from. More fat less meat bone and offal etc compared to the week before.

Tip

1. smell before you use. Some butchers put a bunch of stuff to the side and eventually mince it. Chicken gets raunchy pretty fast.

2. even if you're feeding it raw, try cooking a bit. That will give you a good picture of how much fat it contains. Unless your dog is skinny and free from digestive problems/pancreatitis, avoid stuff with a lit of fat.

The stuff butchers put to the side may be bone . . . but it may also be skin (fatty on chickens) and fat trimmings.

Please don't cook mince which has bone in it - REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!

It's meant to be eaten raw, stop pandering to the dog and teach him to eat what he's given.

Please don't flame me, I'm just asking :cry: Why is cooked minced chicken frames bad? Just thought cooked whole bones were bad because of the way they splinter? I have been cooking the chicken mince for one of my dogs as he throws up/squirts out raw chicken. He eats it, it stays down and he poops it all out really well when it is cooked.

Really didn't think twice about the bone in the mince as it is ground and the pieces are so tiny, you could hardly tell there was bone in it.

I need to make him some more food tonight but I don't think I will now. Think I might just start feeding him something else, anything but raw.

How much does the Pet Mince from Lenards cost?

I pay $1kg for minced frames.

Hi,

The pet mince from Lenards is minced frames as you know, so if you cook and feed it to dogs it can compact in the gut and cause all sorts of problems.

It is best fed raw.

I always make it a rule at Oakway that any smoked, dried or cured bone is never fed here. They are the equivalent of cooked bone and rather dangerous.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I've found that if you get your pet mince from the butcher it's in frozen blocks at about 1.5 kg. Now, raw my dogs won't touch it doesn't matter if I put other meats through it or not. You have to boil it. Boil it and drain the fat (this is how you know if your getting good mince) I basically double the volume of meat when I've added everything else.. I add other meats to it, raw though along with vegies grains and herbs and minerals. I taught myself, just by trial and error. But the point is, to boil your butchers pet mince, strain it  of fats and moisture. It's wrong to assume pets mince is raw meat ready to give to the dog's  it's not it's gotta be cooked and mixed.

5 hours ago, Jason76 said:

It's wrong to assume pets mince is raw meat ready to give to the dog's  it's not it's gotta be cooked and mixed.

..and if the pet mince is decent PET mince ..it will have fat, and offal and BONE mixed in ..and should not be cooked, really - as this changes the composition of any bones to indigestible ..and hard - and destroys enzymes. 

I feed raw pet mince from our butcher - it's lovely  fresh minced chicken frames & bits ... I would never cook it & spoil it ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, persephone said:

..and if the pet mince is decent PET mince ..it will have fat, and offal and BONE mixed in ..and should not be cooked, really - as this changes the composition of any bones to indigestible ..and hard - and destroys enzymes. 

I feed raw pet mince from our butcher - it's lovely  fresh minced chicken frames & bits ... I would never cook it & spoil it ...

Btw, the assertion that raw is more digestible than cooked hasn't seen much testing.  The Science Dog blog recently reviewed a study that found lightly cooked was more digestible than raw.  My guess is that it's complicated...maybe fats, bone, muscle and collagen behave differently. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 19/03/2019 at 10:03 AM, persephone said:

Yes but in my case they don't eat the pet mince raw.. Which is chicken mix. Basically. They eat other meat raw, it's also not cooked completely. 

• Like 1