Litters Due In April 2011

Bilbo Baggins

Very cute pups choc..bordercollie. Don't you love surprises! I couldn't tell whether my little chocolates were black or chocolate in the dim lighting on the night they whelped, had to turn on the main light to have a good look, and still wasn't totally convinced until they were fully dry. Very nice surprise though!

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats shelbyville on all your puppys, I got 2 suprise coloured puppys aswell! :)

First pic is of the one pup of which I am unsure of the colour placed up against a black and white pup to compare colouring lol

Very interesting. I have a black pup here who is the same colour and not a normal black. Could they be a slate or very dark blue??

Congrats shelbyville on all your puppys, I got 2 suprise coloured puppys aswell! :)

First pic is of the one pup of which I am unsure of the colour placed up against a black and white pup to compare colouring lol

Very interesting. I have a black pup here who is the same colour and not a normal black. Could they be a slate or very dark blue??

I emailed to a couple of breeders all have different opinions, I have a blue merle in the same litter who has the colouring and also a black patch, one breeder thought maybe a shaded sable and another a dark blue, but with the blue merle who has the colouring we are unsure. guess I will just have to wait and see :)

Question for those who are more experienced... about milk production.

Lola had an abundance of milk for the first few days and the babies have been stacking on the weight like crazy. Today the babies have lost a little bit of weight (but they still look fit and healthy) but Lola's boobs appear quite flacid, not big and full like they have been. I can still express milk off all but the top two (under her armpits) but the babies haven't been feeding off those first two because they're too small.

She's become quite fussy with her food and not eating as much as I'd like although she is still interested in food, just not what's put in front of her. I've gotten her some human grade meat to encourage her to eat and have given her some fenugreek to help stimulate milk production.

Should I be worried, or should I be doing anything else?

When my girls or boys for that fact go off their food I get chicken thighs and pan fry them. They love them and I give them the fat as well.

Ta :thumbsup: I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find something that she will eat, I'm more concerned about the milk productions and wehther the babies are getting enough milk.

When my girls or boys for that fact go off their food I get chicken thighs and pan fry them. They love them and I give them the fat as well.

Ta :laugh: I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find something that she will eat, I'm more concerned about the milk productions and wehther the babies are getting enough milk.

she's possibly adjusted her milk supply to only the 2 puppies, not the hordes she might have had! Fern's boobs were nearly impossible to see when she only had 2 pups and were never full and firm

Make sure she's drinking heaps of fluids too LOTG...If Lola is fussy with just drinking plain water, mix some water with some chicken soup or maybe some water with yoghurt & a bit of goats milk too.

I give this to my girl & she has loads of milk at the moment...although she has a huge litter to feed aswell. :laugh:

I think fluids might be the kicker. I put milk in the water but she still wouldn't drink it. But put it in a syringe and feed it to her and it's like she has been in the desert for 40 years.

I might call the vet and see about topping them up just until we get this sorted as they have started to whine and complain a lot more and I'm not happy with their weight gain right now.

I think fluids might be the kicker. I put milk in the water but she still wouldn't drink it. But put it in a syringe and feed it to her and it's like she has been in the desert for 40 years.

I might call the vet and see about topping them up just until we get this sorted as they have started to whine and complain a lot more and I'm not happy with their weight gain right now.

My girl was like this last week not eating or drinking and the puppies where starving aswell, the vet gave my girl a vitamin b injection for a boost and an antibiotic injection, she also had bloods taken to check calcium levels etc all was fine so she was put on antibiotic tablets for a week aswell and after a couple of hours she was eating and has been good ever since, it was assumed she had an infection somewhere that was making her feel unwell. maybe your girl is feeling a bit off aswell. good luck

My girl was like this last week not eating or drinking and the puppies where starving aswell, the vet gave my girl a vitamin b injection for a boost and an antibiotic injection, she also had bloods taken to check calcium levels etc all was fine so she was put on antibiotic tablets for a week aswell and after a couple of hours she was eating and has been good ever since, it was assumed she had an infection somewhere that was making her feel unwell. maybe your girl is feeling a bit off aswell. good luck

Thanks :thumbsup: I tried to get onto my vets earlier but they were busy, I'll try again shortly.

She is eating now and drinking.. she's just being fussy with both. I suspect she's a little tired of this motherhood thing already the poor poppet. Unfortunately she's just going to have to suck it up for a few more weeks.

They are gorgeous BM!

Such a lot of babies makes for one hell of a puppy pile ;)

:rofl: Tell me about it...Its lovely at the moment just looking at them, making sure Brandy has enough food & drink & cleaning the bedding..with Brandy doing all the work, but I know in a couple of weeks time when they start becoming active & Brandy stops looking after them...I'm going to be very very busy. :(

To be honest though I sort of can't wait till they are old enough to be weaned & most of the work is taken of Brandy...its such a big job for my poor girl.

Awww.. that's when I'll be grateful for only two! (as long as I ignore the financial side of it :rofl:)

My grandbabies have been eating most of the morning and haven't been crying like they were yesterday so I'm hoping that means that Lola is filling back up again.. I keep going in there and syringing more fluids.

She's not eating a huge amount, but eating about what I would expect her to eat pre-pregnancy and maybe a little more, but I'm giving her richer foods as well... given that she's only got two bebes I'm hoping that will keep her going while I keep experimenting with other things for her to eat.

Yeah Brandy become a little fussy too & completely refuses to eat her dry food.

So I'm just giving her plenty of human grade mince with cottage cheese, raw chicken wings, scrambled eggs made with yoghurt & lots of water mixed with yoghurt & goats milk or chicken soup mixed with water. She will eat all this...just won't eat her puppy dry food. :rofl:

I asked my vet if I should maybe supplement the puppies with some Wombaroo or goats milk to help Brandy out ..as my biggest fear is for her to get eclampsia with such a big litter. But she said as long as I keep giving her lots of foods high in protein & calcium & making sure she drinking lots of fluids..& aslong as Brandy has lots of milk & the puppies keep gaining reasonable weight then we should just leave them be for now.

Edited by Baileys mum