Should Sex/colour/markings Or Pups Parents Determine Price Of Pups?

MissMetal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pay more for a nicely marked pup in the colour I liked, so long as it had the temperament and health tests (of the parents) as well.

If it was just the colour, markings and health testing etc you wanted why wouldn't you buy from a breeder that doesn't charge extra for colour and markings etc?

Breeders can charge what they like for a pup, some buyers will be getting ripped off and will pay big dollars for poor quality pups.

Having said that, i would not hestitate to hand over a couple of thousand dollars or more for a Frenchie or a Boston, if I should ever want one again.

I'd also pay whatever for certain lines or a quality pup of a desired type.

Now that I'm no longer showing and breeding, when I purchase our next family pet, I have a colour and type in mind ( I also want the quality ) and will pay whatever the going rate is for what I want. If the quality and style is there, I'm not going to argue about the price tag.

well a lady i know was asking for $3000 for a blue male pup (staffy) and his brindle sister from the same litter was only $900... how can you charge $2100 more for a pup from the exact same litter?? and these pups are only on limited register so cant even breed them or anything. their father was locally bred & owned and basically studded out to every bitch in the state...

yet another breeder i know had imported champion semen from the UK, bitch is top quality, pups were on main register and she only asked $1800 per blue pup.

;) :p :rofl:

well a lady i know was asking for $3000 for a blue male pup (staffy) and his brindle sister from the same litter was only $900... how can you charge $2100 more for a pup from the exact same litter?? and these pups are only on limited register so cant even breed them or anything. their father was locally bred & owned and basically studded out to every bitch in the state...

yet another breeder i know had imported champion semen from the UK, bitch is top quality, pups were on main register and she only asked $1800 per blue pup.

$3000 for a limited register blue pup is outrageous!

$3000 for a limited register blue pup is outrageous!

+1.

I think that $1800 for a blue pup is probably outrageous as well ;)

Personally I think that all colours should be the same price but it's none of my business what breeders want to sell their dogs for. I probably wouldn't buy from one who charged different prices for different colours.

I have no problem with charging more if the litter cost them more to start with, whether that be because of imported semen or other factors.

We have breeders asking $2500 for a set colour.

We groom many of these pups & to be frank the people have been ripped off.

If people wish to ask more for a set colour then i would expect that breeding to produce the correct colour & not one that fads with age as the breeding is a mix match of colours.

We don't charge more for sex or colour

What country are you from and what breed do you have Showdog - I see you posting often under different threads but your profile doesnt show what breeds you have or where you are from (just says overseas?)...... just curious as to the breeders you are referring to.

I have wondered this myself - will be interested to see if you get an answer

Sounds like she is charging what the market will bear. If someone is willing to pay that much for a colour, it's on their own head.

The breeders I have seen seem to take one of three approaches:

- charge whatever the going rate is for their breed, maybe a little more if they think they are something special, a little less if they are having trouble placing pups. It may or may not cover the cost of the litter and show and pet pups may be different prices;

- charge what the market will bear. If there is such a demand for a breed or a colour that people will pay through the nose for them, that's the market. It's how a lot of items are priced, not really suprising some people apply it to dogs. Price rises to the point where it meets willingness to pay, 'products' such as different colours get differentiated and marketed to try to extract maximum price, and maybe it just gets a bit more distorted in dogs because of shallow markets and a lack of really transparent market information;

- charge what it costs to raise an average pup of the breed more or less, if they are lucky with a slight profit to see them through the unexpectedly expensive litters, but most would claim not to make any profit. Show and pet pups may again be different prices.

I don't think there is any "right" way ;) It's not a regulated market, buyers have to check around for what's the going price for what they want, think about whether the differences that are marketed such as colour or 'designer' status really mean anything to them, and then decide what they are willing to pay.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more for colour, but I would if the pup had something special I was after for showing, dog sports or breeding assuming I wanted to do any of those things with it.

Edited by Diva

Have you read this thread Miss Metal? It's very long but a real eye opener as to a buyer being ripped off because they wanted a blue stafford.

Have you read this thread Miss Metal? It's very long but a real eye opener as to a buyer being ripped off because they wanted a blue stafford.

what thread are you talking about??

We have breeders asking $2500 for a set colour.

We groom many of these pups & to be frank the people have been ripped off.

If people wish to ask more for a set colour then i would expect that breeding to produce the correct colour & not one that fads with age as the breeding is a mix match of colours.

We don't charge more for sex or colour

What country are you from and what breed do you have Showdog - I see you posting often under different threads but your profile doesnt show what breeds you have or where you are from (just says overseas?)...... just curious as to the breeders you are referring to.

I have wondered this myself - will be interested to see if you get an answer

Do you think i wont answer ??

Many on here now who i am .

I live in Australia & show in Australia .

It says overseas because it had a wobbly ages ago & i couldn't change it like many on here have QLD as the default state but there not from there

The breed we show/breed comes in 3 colours & in one state alone they ask up to $1500 more,many of these don't retain there "colour"through to adulthood because there breeding is mix/match colours.

We don't in Australia have a strong gene pool for 2 of the colours so the main colour often features in these pedigree's .

We groom a number of dogs from 1 state in particular where big $$ are asked for said colour & after the first few grooms becomes a colour they could have brought locally & $1000 plus cheaper plus the owners being very disappointed in what they have brought not meeting what they where after & not being informed the breeding wouldn't result in that being a strong colour & could change.

Generally speaking if you look at varying breeds where more is charged the breeders are unknowns .

There was a topic the other day about a Choc Cocker & the price variance .

Like mentioned what people charge is there business & if people wish to pay it fine but for us they all come out of the same litter ,get the same time & effort there just a colour that is allowed in the breed

Breeders can charge what they like for a pup, some buyers will be getting ripped off and will pay big dollars for poor quality pups.

Having said that, i would not hestitate to hand over a couple of thousand dollars or more for a Frenchie or a Boston, if I should ever want one again.

Why do you think a Frenchie or a Boston should cost so much more than other breeds ? Personally, I fail to see why anyone would want either breed, let alone pay those sorts of prices.

Of all the breeds I have observed at shows over many years, these are the two I most detest on temperament, snapping and barking at every passing dog, let alone the fact they are so incredibly ugly. Then add in possible health issues with brachy breeds and I really have no idea what the attraction is.

Sorry to the people who own and love them but I just can't stand them.