Breed Recommendations For "fenceless" Guard Dog.

Merrirose

Get geese ;)

I agree. I won't go anywhere near my MIL's neighbour because of these fiesty little suckers. ;)

I was going to agree with this, but you need a fence of geese to protect them from foxes.

I don't think you will find any breed of dog that would not be tempted to leave your property if their were no fences and being in the country it's the fastest way to get your dog shot if roaming around.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of any ethical breeder who would sell you a puppy knowing that there is a good chance the dog will wander and get itself shot or ranover.

Please do the right thing and get a fence. You could consider cheaper livestock fencing and then look at a pet containment system (electric/static dog fence) and teach the dog to understand boundaries that way. I'm fairly sure it's illegal to not provide adequate containment for your pets regardless...

I urge to you get adequate fencing for your dog before you buy your dog.

Just to clarify the entire property is fenced with 5ft plain wire & rabbit proof mesh though as stated I would like to leave the dog "out" and have it hang around i.e. if Energy Australia/workmen ect come over and leave the gate open (about 200 meters from the house) I would like to know that my dog would stay put though hopefully the dog would bark and the caller wouldn't be game to enter. As we are in Sydney not all people are "gate rule savvy". Likewise I wouldn't want to come home and find the dog down the back corner of the property hanging out with the horses as internal fences are just plain wire. I would keep a larger size dog separate from the house dogs unless supervised as they are very small dogs and I would worry that without supervision they may be injured with rough play ect. Shame I cant put the Chihuahuas out the front or id know if someone were coming from at least a kilometer away :champagne: .

I have a couple of breeds in mind though was looking for fresh ideas or to have what I'm thinking confirmed. I understand that all breeds have individual personality types within them. I understand that the dog would need a lot of time & training with numerous things before even considering leaving them loose without supervision.

I am considering an electronic containment system and I am doing research on them currently.

I want a dog that just makes a lot of noise and doesn't follow through unless in extreme circumstances. More of an alarm then anything.

lol @ the Doberman comment... They are stunning though agreed they wouldn't suit as they can have very selective hearing and an independent mind.

Actually geese are not a bad idea at all. They do make a bit of mess though.

I want a dog that just makes a lot of noise and doesn't follow through unless in extreme circumstances. More of an alarm then anything.

Central Asian and Anatolian are out :champagne:

Now that you have explained your setup better :D I don't think what you're asking for should be too hard to fulfil.

Good luck!

KC Blue,

I also think the idea of an uncontained dog is asking for trouble in several ways. To address the specific issue of the approach of people to a large property ... I installed a solar powered gate for elderly friends of ours, you can add to this a discrete (not easily seen) detector that monitors the drive and rings a bell in the house when the sensor is passed. Perhaps that would be enough?

If someone is bent on mischief, I don't think a dog is necessarily going to stop them. Friends of ours had their entire pack of 5 dogs drugged with doped meat when thieves made off with their 4X4 from a locked farm yard! Luckily, all dogs did recover .. but it was a close run thing for the two smaller terriers.

:champagne:

Best of luck. I can understand your worries.

Thanks TT.

What a horrible thing to do to the dogs. Glad they are ok.

Central Asian and Anatolian are out :champagne:

Now that you have explained your setup better :D I don't think what you're asking for should be too hard to fulfil.

Good luck!

Thanks Lilli. Another 2 crossed off then :(

I have friends on 100 acres with small dogs and horses. Friend's OH loves herding breeds but needed a dog he could have with him when working round the property, that would have no interest in chasing the horses or going off hunting if her wasn't watching her and wasn't likely to jump standard rural fencing. He seems happy with the Bull Mastiff her chose and she gets on wonderfully with their smaller breed. I imagine though that they would confine her to the house yard when they go out.

I have friends on 100 acres with small dogs and horses. Friend's OH loves herding breeds but needed a dog he could have with him when working round the property, that would have no interest in chasing the horses or going off hunting if her wasn't watching her and wasn't likely to jump standard rural fencing. He seems happy with the Bull Mastiff her chose and she gets on wonderfully with their smaller breed. I imagine though that they would confine her to the house yard when they go out.

Thanks Dancinbcs. They were very high on my list. Actually no 1. :champagne: Nice to hear about your friends good experiences.

Edited by KC Blue

I have a Doberman and I can tell you they are not an independent breed. They like to be as close to their people all the time (my is actually on me right now), and although they make good guard dogs they protect people rather than property.I think monelite said to avoid dobes bc this is not a breed that should be left outside or alone for long periods of time. They can be dominant but they are not independent.

I think the mastiff is a good idea as that's basically what they were bred for.

My husband and i always wondered how people got there dogs to "hang around" while they are out. Problem is you don't know what they do when you aren't home we always have visits from the neighbours dog when they aren't home its very annoying but i wont complain as i never complain about other peoples dogs in case they complain about mine. But for them is a process of elimination the dog thats not either hit by a car or bitten by a snake is the ones that live to tell the tail. Why risk leaving a dog in an unfenced area fence your front area and leave the"guard dog" in there. Sorry might sound harsh but as a neigbour of people that leave their dog out to me its rude and bad mannered.

I live down the road from people who think their Kelpie just "hangs out" while they are at work all day, based on the fact she is home when they leave at 8.30 in the the morning and home when they arrive home at 5.30.

During the day however young Rosie is chasing cars that pass her house, wandering to different peoples houses to find some human company and lying in the middle of the road sunbaking but owners aren't worried as she is just hangin out :laugh:

I have told them a number of times that she has been in my paddock but this doesn't worry them overly but I can see disaster happening if she goes into other properties or chases my old sheep.

My husband and i always wondered how people got there dogs to "hang around" while they are out. Problem is you don't know what they do when you aren't home we always have visits from the neighbours dog when they aren't home its very annoying but i wont complain as i never complain about other peoples dogs in case they complain about mine. But for them is a process of elimination the dog thats not either hit by a car or bitten by a snake is the ones that live to tell the tail. Why risk leaving a dog in an unfenced area fence your front area and leave the"guard dog" in there. Sorry might sound harsh but as a neigbour of people that leave their dog out to me its rude and bad mannered.

Woodbyne the area is fenced as stated above.

I live down the road from people who think their Kelpie just "hangs out" while they are at work all day, based on the fact she is home when they leave at 8.30 in the the morning and home when they arrive home at 5.30.

During the day however young Rosie is chasing cars that pass her house, wandering to different peoples houses to find some human company and lying in the middle of the road sunbaking but owners aren't worried as she is just hangin out :laugh:

I have told them a number of times that she has been in my paddock but this doesn't worry them overly but I can see disaster happening if she goes into other properties or chases my old sheep.

That is a real worry. Sounds like it wont be long before something bad happens :heart: I cant believe they haven't stopped her from wandering.

KC Blue if you aren't fussed about people actually being able to get in maybe put a lock on the gate when you go out. I ended up doing that after I got home and found my front gate open. Doggies were sitting at the open gate. I have unintentionally trained them not to go out of the open gate unless I say they can.

Pretty much any dog can be trained to give a good warning bark. Any large dog will look pretty intimidating. Personally I would not rely on a pet/companion dog for security, a determined intruder will not be put off by a dog.

My black labrador, has a very scary and aggressive sounding bark, to the point where delivery people have been too scared to enter. She is not at all aggressive and unlikely to ever back up her voice with a bite. She also does not wander, people can accidently leave the door open or open the door to let others in and she will wander around the front but not leave the property. I would not purposefully give her free access to the front though.

Not wandering has a lot to with training and also the dogs personality, rather than breed though, in my opinion.

KC Blue

In answering your question directly two outstanding guardinas and alert dogs are the Boerboel or the Cane Corso, especially that you are slanting to a larger breed. Also with these two dogs you will never have to worry about people entering your property and leaving the gate open - no-one will be getting thorugh any gates without you being there.

My preference the Cane Corso - they take guarding and protection very seriously are very family oriented so will not venture far from where the humans live.

However your responsibility will be to train train train etc for them to become an outstanding dog for you. Totally trustworthy with other pets, animals and children and consider all of them part of the family.

Good Luck

I have a Doberman and I can tell you they are not an independent breed. They like to be as close to their people all the time (my is actually on me right now), and although they make good guard dogs they protect people rather than property.I think monelite said to avoid dobes bc this is not a breed that should be left outside or alone for long periods of time. They can be dominant but they are not independent.

The 2 pet dobes that I've known well, fit what you've said exactly. Both p/b from registered breeders. One raised from a puppy along with the babies & children in a family. He was an amazing 'nanny' dog. One I've described previously, pet of a builder, & a big sweet sooky boy.

Both inside dogs & household pets with access to well-fenced yards.. Their value as guard dogs lay in what people up to no good thought about dobes.

Edited by mita

Neighbours of a friend had a pair of Maremmas to mind the property and the chickens while they were out. They had a free-range chicken farm. The Maremmas did a good job, but from the comfort and companionship of my friends' front verandah, thanks. They weren't dangerous, but they certainly did know about every little thing that happened across the way on their property. The properties were much smaller than yours - only about 15 acres between them. I always thought it was funny the dogs chose to do their job from next door. Didn't diminish their effectiveness in the slightest, but their adopted vantage point was part of their territory as far as they were concerned and they guarded my friend's place as well.