Breed Recommendations For "fenceless" Guard Dog.

Merrirose

from what u have said KC i would suggest having fencing seperating the front yard and have a lage double gate - this way when tradies are about u can have the dog out the back but whent eh front gates are shut the dogs can look after the front yard as well - and lock the front gates when ur not home... the double gates is best as i think that way u can get cars and whatnot into the back area of the property.

I liek the idea of bull mastiffs, they are so so sooky and are great with other dogs and children but have the appearance and bark that u are after. But as mentioned to death lol make sure ur boundry fencing where u do not want the dog to go is very very secure... i can see a bull breed being shot VERY fast if seen near others livestock!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liek the idea of bull mastiffs, they are so so sooky and are great with other dogs and children but have the appearance

I can't speak for the OP, but there's a gorgeous bloke called Sarge for adoption in Brisbane. A couple of decades ago, I'd be applying for him, in a flash, as a family dog. He's with Animal Rescue Qld ARQ that's been founded to foster/rehome dogs displaced in the chaos of the floods. And not claimed.

Name is Sarge, & he's labelled a great dane X, but he's got a bit of the mastiff look. Loves children & children love him back. Takes food gently from your hand. And sits quietly, drinking in all the Ooohs & Aaaaahs he gets for his good looks & happy face.

For family protection, I'd have Sarge as a housedog with a fenced houseyard. Alongside him, I'd have a tibetan spaniel as an alert dog. Big Sarge would be a visual deterrant. Unless the 'baddie' happens to see Sarge wondering why he can't fit thro' the cat flap! Lovely pic in his PetRescue profile:

http://www.petrescue.com.au/_feed/view/?animal=98778

Edited by mita

Many years ago I had a Border Collie X. No fence would contain her she jumped, dug, squeezed through EVERYTHING! She felt it utterly necessary to be where I was. She had free run of our 11 acres which is quite a small area but NEVER EVER left that property, despite not being desexed (no she never had pups either!). Even if I went for a walk or a ride and I didn't want her to come I only had to say "Stay" and she sat at the top of the driveway and waited for us.

When she was 5 we moved house. One day I took my young German Shepherd for a walk/training outing and didn't want her along. This was a smaller property I'd moved to and the house is close to the road. She sat at the apron of the driveway besidethe frontgate and waited for us to return. Some goody two shoes decided she was lost, took her to the Shire offices where they checked her rego tag, they informed the woman she had picked the dog up in FRONT of the house it lived at. They rang me and a very embarrassed woman returned my dog immediately!

I think they have to tell you if they place baits around in the vicinity of your property, erect signs and advise of a time frame.

Yes, signage and length of time before they are taken up again is legislated. Unfortunaltey when it comes to taking up baits, not everyone always gets them all again, despite the rules. Always a risk that a bait wont be removed as required.

I want a dog that just makes a lot of noise and doesn't follow through unless in extreme circumstances. More of an alarm then anything.

Central Asian and Anatolian are out :)

Now that you have explained your setup better :D I don't think what you're asking for should be too hard to fulfil.

Good luck!

Thanks Lilli. Another 2 crossed off then ;)

I would cross off any other livestock guardian breed too.

I think they have to tell you if they place baits around in the vicinity of your property, erect signs and advise of a time frame.

Yes, signage and length of time before they are taken up again is legislated. Unfortunaltey when it comes to taking up baits, not everyone always gets them all again, despite the rules. Always a risk that a bait wont be removed as required.

Also a possibility that bait can be moved around by birds/wildlife and therefore not collected :thumbsup:

I think a Pekingese would be suitable for this situation. They really don't want to go that far, have zero prey drive and can be encouraged to bark like crazy if a stranger turns up.

I suspect that's not quite the look KC Blue is after though :thumbsup:

CRIKIES Sandra 777 on the 300 acres we have at Millmerran Qld we have got Goanna that would carry a Pekingese off for dinner and come back lookin for the pups. Electronic devices are the way to go mate!