My Other Sister Says She Is Getting A Goldenoodle?!

LizT

If I had $10 for every Lab or GR x poodle owner who'd said to be "he/she turned out bigger than we expected". :crazy:

See this is part of what's pissing me off! She said she would dearly like a Standard Poodle but they would be too big!! :D

If she said she was getting one from a shelter I would care as much but she is going to a "Goldendoodle" breeder.

The odds of the dog being bigger than a GR are pretty good.

If she got a SP bitch, there are plenty of smaller ones.

She's buying a genetic lottery. That's fine if you like gambling on a family pet. :party:

I think I've talked her out of the Groodle. Might be too big she thinks.

Although she is now going to look at a Cockerpoo! :eek:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the rules:

No promotion of cross breeds / designer dogs

This site has nothing against cross breeds (most of us have had one at some stage in our life), however we are against the promotion of them as being superior to the purebred dog and people cashing in on the 'designer dog' craze.

We also ask that you refrain from unnecessary designer dog discussion. (ie discussion that has no real purpose other than to express dismay at the latest 'cross breed' you saw (or read about)). Sure, we all know they are out there, but we prefer to concentrate on discussing the pure bred dog (ANKC recognised breeds).

There is a real purpose. Me trying to get my little sister to engage her brain and reconsider her choice of pet!!!

I am making some headway! AND there is certainly no promotion here!

Edited by LizT

if she likes the poodle but standard is too big - why don't you talk her into a mini poodle? :eek:

lots of lovely colours to choose from as well :D

Yes, I had a black miniature when she was little, I'm playing that card at the moment!

Lagotto's kind of look Oodley, (totally different temp though) but have her look them up and see if one would suit.

I know it's a lottery with the cross breeds and shedding but I've not ever met a Goldie/Poodle mix who sheds. They can be enormous, especially when purchased from a certain vet who desex's them (thankfully) as puppies - thus getting even taller than one would expect. I don't think a lot of people realise how big a Standard Poodle can be either.

I've only ever met two GR X Poodles. You would never pick them as being the same mix. One is cocker spaniel sized, and has the hair of a wavy GR. The other is about 3 times bigger, and looks more like a Lagotto.

A really key thing to remember though is with true Hybrid Vigour, the offspring grows larger than the parents. So a Std Poodle x Golden Retriever is likely to be larger than both parents when fully grown. Add in early desexing and you have a sizeable dog on your hands.

If she is still keen on the cross, maybe push her towards a slightly older dog. She can then know what she is in for - in the size and coat type department. I'm sure a bit of googling can find some London based rescue/pound organisations.

Interestingly enough I met an oodle owner on the weekend. We'd taken our two for a walk to the shopping centre and I was waiting outside when a woman came over to talk to A & Z. She said she had a labradoodle and commented on how beautiful and soft the wheaten fur was. Apparently her dog has a really curly coat that is very hard to groom.

I should imagine she could find a multitude of rescue dogs in London.

I've only ever met two GR X Poodles. You would never pick them as being the same mix. One is cocker spaniel sized, and has the hair of a wavy GR. The other is about 3 times bigger, and looks more like a Lagotto.

She is leaning towards a Cocker Poo now! At least that smaller. still.......

What about an Irish Water Spaniel? There are a few litters of those around atm.

Not sure if that's a breed for a person who has never owned her own dog but has lived with a Bassett in London for a number of years. She's not very Puppy experienced, also I hear they can be a bit 'aloof' and boisterous.

Interestingly enough I met an oodle owner on the weekend. We'd taken our two for a walk to the shopping centre and I was waiting outside when a woman came over to talk to A & Z. She said she had a labradoodle and commented on how beautiful and soft the wheaten fur was. Apparently her dog has a really curly coat that is very hard to groom.

Would a Weaten be suitable???? Clearly she loves the 'look'.

Would a Weaten be suitable???? Clearly she loves the 'look'.

Wheatens are awesome dogs, but they are terriers, so not for everyone.

I'm hesitant to recommend them to anyone who hasn't met wheatens or owned terriers in the past. If she is interested though, I'm sure I could find a couple of wheatens for her to meet in the fur to see if they are a dog for her ;)

I think you need to keep focusing on that basically she is getting a lottery ticket for a puppy with a cross breed. Do a search for her Golden noodle, doodle, whatever she chooses and see the mixed bag of pics you get. ;) There will be every shape and size imaginable!

When we were going to get another dog after losing our 4 in 2009 I didn't think I could have another retriever or lab. I would sob at the thought. The kids wanted a smaller dog ...a cavalier. OH said no way he wanted something a bit bigger and had fond memories of Cocker Spaniels as a child.

I was browsing the net and saw an ad for Cocker x cavaliers ( of course some designer name and expensive price) . I thought at the time that this was a great compromise between kids and OH. Against everything I have learnt from DOL I thought this might be an option for us. I had grown up with cross breeds most of my life.

I ummed and aaahed over how cute they were....but did we want to go down this unkown road? One thing that put it all into perspective for me was when I did a search for pics of the breed ( the DD name is slipping my mind of a cocker x cav! ) OMG thats what pulled me up in 2 seconds flat and gave me a reality slap! They were all different shapes and sizes and the looks :clap: :clap: If you don't mind what you end up with then thats great. For us no way!!

We ended up the proud owners of a lovely little Cocker Spaniel from a wonderful breeder. We also ended up with a Golden that was being rehomed ( we realised we can't be without one! ) I am so glad that little voice was screaming in the back of my head and I listened!

If she wants to go smaller than a Retriever I would highly recommend a Cocker without the Poo on the end! ;)

Try to be patient and keep chipping away! Goodluck :hug:

From a groomer's prospective - do NOT get a spaniel x poodle. Yes they are cute as pups. But OMG when they grow up... I've seen thus far:

- bigger than a standard poodle

- chronic, constant ear infections

- coats that shed worse than a pug

- incredibly neurotic and scream whenever owner leaves room (and will not stop, even when owner comes back to pick dog up)

- ACTIVE and STRONG (these guys can pack a LOT of muscle, especially the boys)

- terrible, terrible skin

- constantly weeping eyes that can barely open

- one of the worst coats to keep in good condition. I had a spoo that got groomed every two weeks (as a client) and the knotts that this dog would get were incredible. She brushed her all the time and the longest we could keep her in was a #3.

Same with schnauzer x poodle and lab x poodle. Schn x Poo has the worst coat (in my experience) but I dislike the Spoos most of all. And they are EVERYWHERE. Rarely will you speak to an owner of one that does not immediately start complaining about it's health/temperament issues.

The cocker spaniel coat is naturally quite thick and hard to clipper, but add curl and more thickness into the mix? Oh hell no! Yes, she will pat puppies and think 'oh goodness what a lovely coat!' but that lovely coat will unfortunately disappear by the time the dog is 4 months old.

Please, PLEASE tell her not to do it because she WILL regret it.

If she wants a crossbreed, tell her to go through a reputable rescue (I got my boy from a pound but I only now know how lucky I was to end up with a sound dog). ;)

Perhaps another way to go about it is to introduce her to some Cockers and some Poodles, or have her tell you what she dislikes about each breed so much that she's willing to cross out - and then inform her THAT THE LIKELIHOOD OF THE TRAITS SHE DOES NOT WANT APPEARING IN HER DOG ARE TOO HIGH TO RISK.

It boggles the mind when people don't want their oodle 'clipped like a poodle' because they don't LIKE poodles. WTF, your dog is HALF A POODLE!!! (and in a lot of cases they are much more than half poodle). Same for people that like the look of the Cocker but dislike the temp or whatever - I've met -one- Spoo that looks like a cocker... and so many with the half-crazed tempraments (I say this lovingly as a Cocker sleeps near my feet). Then you have to factor in that people won't exercise or train them... hello?!

Sorry, but this kinda thing makes me a little mad. ;)

I can't understand why people would pass on a purebred for a crossbred. Purebreds, you know what you are getting - size, shape, temp etc, and if you are careful, they are from lines of beautiful dogs, so yours will be beautiful too. Crossbreds are usually bred from the dregs - no registered breeder will sell to an x bred breeder, so they pick up dogs where they can - pet shops, byb, puppy farms.

I'd prefer my dog no matter what it was, from quality parents not fourth rate ones.

There are free dogs, my most recent addition was free, although I like to think of her as priceless. But free pedigree dogs aren't given to just anyone, you have to prove your worth. I did by the fact that the breeder and I have acquaintances in the breed in common, I already owned 3 dogs of the same breed and I am actively involved with clubs etc.

I didn't know she was free when I enquires about her though, I fully expected to pay $500-1000 for her.