Experiences With Desexing An Older Male.

jesomil

Thanks for all the replies.

I am not concerned about weight gain as that is easily fixed, I was more concerned about behaviour changes. I have seen a few bitches become a little less tolerant with other dogs once desexed. No one seems to have seen that in their boys here so that is good!

I will get him done. Seems like there are no reasons not to :eek: .

Edited by jesomil

Thanks for all the replies.

I am not concerned about weight gain as that is easily fixed, I was more concerned about behaviour changes. I have seen a few bitches become a little less tolerant with other dogs once desexed. No one seems to have seen that in their boys here so that is good!

I will get him done. Seems like there are no reasons not to :D .

I would definitely recommend it! We lost our gorgeous boy, Lennon, at about 6 years of age - he hadn't been used for stud fr a couple of years & got an abcess on his prostate gland. Had he been desexed it wouldn't have happened :eek:

We had to have our nearly 10yr old Golden retriever desexed last week as he had a tumour growing in his right testicle. The tumour had caused the leftie to atropy so the cure was to remove the tumour and testicles.

He's a bit bruised but otherwise happy.

To early to see behavioural changes.

We got word yesterday that the path results showed that he is cured now.

Last week I was regreting not having had him done when he was younger.

Have desexed a few boys once fully mature. Two were active studs desexed at age 7, the only change was they were a bit less stressed when bitch in season was anywhere in the neighbourhood - as active studs they both would fret, go off their food etc. for almost the whole time.

The third one is my current boy, a foster failure desexed at age 3, no idea if he ever had any opportunity at stud before I got him, he certainly was still interested when I had a visting entire bitch just coming off heat!!!! She told him off well and truly but he just continued to admire her from a safe distance! :laugh:

No other personality changes, nor did I notice any weight gain in any of them that couldn't be attributed to just plain slowing down from age.

only negative changes for me is that his coat changed (might not be an issue for you).

personality wise, he stayed the same, but is very much not interested in bitches in season.

I will 2nd that too. Noticed a coat change in all of ours.

Edited by snow_wolf

My best friend had his Chihuahua desexed at 7 after much pestering on my part. Prior to it, he was a nasty, territorial little thing--still is, but there's a marked difference. He is calmer and better around bitches in heat. The only negatives seem to have been a bit more white in his face (but that could be age :laugh:), and he is slowing down/not as excitable as he was while entire.

Edit :D My rescue Carl was desexed late at around 2/3 years. No difference in personality, but as everyone else has said, I have to watch his food intake. He was ridiculously muscular before he got the snip and now it all goes to his butt!

Edited by halfthewords

What is the oldest age you can desex a dog? Is there a limit to when the vet will not perform it?

It depends on the health of the dog, most vets will not refuse to desex but will point out the risks. Plenty of 9 or 10 year old dogs can handle it, it is much easier on old dogs than it is on old bitches.

What is the oldest age you can desex a dog? Is there a limit to when the vet will not perform it?

It depends on the health of the dog, most vets will not refuse to desex but will point out the risks. Plenty of 9 or 10 year old dogs can handle it, it is much easier on old dogs than it is on old bitches.

And on the other scale, you shouldnt do it before 6 months right?

Age alone isn't a limitation to anaesthesia and surgery, but it is taken into consideration along with any concurrent disease. In an otherwise healthy dog, it's (almost) never too late to desex.

Age alone isn't a limitation to anaesthesia and surgery, but it is taken into consideration along with any concurrent disease. In an otherwise healthy dog, it's (almost) never too late to desex.

Oh, ok. Because i heard somehwere, that most vets wont use aneasthesia on a dog over 10 years, unless absolutely neccessary, because their heart might fail or something. :laugh:

We regularly anaesthetise geriatric dogs and cat for procedures, including those with pre-existing medical problems like heart and kidney disease.

With due attention to the medical issues and a balanced anaesthesia using up to date drugs and protocols, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to anaesthetise a healthy dog (or cat) over 10 years of age.

We regularly anaesthetise geriatric dogs and cat for procedures, including those with pre-existing medical problems like heart and kidney disease.

With due attention to the medical issues and a balanced anaesthesia using up to date drugs and protocols, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to anaesthetise a healthy dog (or cat) over 10 years of age.

Well, i'll take it straight from the horses mouth. Rather than listen to some here-say :laugh:

Thanks for clearing it up.

Hi

The older foxieX that was left on our property when we moved in the previous owners said they will come out and shoot him... Like hell hes a top dog and we decided to keep him he wwas entire and we said if he does naything to our kids or dogs we ould hae him out to sleep well this little man has been trained by my 10 yr old daughter in obedience almost ready to trail (still have stay issues to sort out) and agility. We had him desexed no idea of his age but i reckon definately over 7 the only thing i noticed different to our younger ones being desexed was that it took him a lot longer to get over it and walked around feeling pretty sorry from himself for much longer other than that nothing negative all good stopped peeing on anythign that didn't move and stopped humping everything that did move. Hes excellent on telling when girls are right in season so i think his previous life he was a bit of a casanova local free stud dog :)

I've only had rescues desexed so don't know prior history. Some of the boys have swollen quite badly but none have shown any other signs of issues. Unfortunately :) I haven't hung on to know about any long term issues. It seems to take an edge off their behaviour within a couple of weeks, but it doesn't necessarily change behaviour such as barking in response to other dogs, or sometimes 'pushiness' at the park, unless it's combined with training.

My street waif SWF was desexed about five months ago, aged somewhere between 12 and 14. The hardest trick was to balance his dodgy lungs after a bad pound experience in the middle of winter, and several weeks of antibiotics, and that he had to have a dental at the same time. The vet kept putting it off because of his lungs but his heart is very strong and blood tests showed no other issues, and he had the least swelling and best recovery of any desex I've seen. Since then, his coat is thick but that's good because he had very little due to bad diet. He was house-trained from the start, he wouldn't deliberately wee anywhere, but sometimes he would mark where other male dogs had marked on furniture in the house*, but from the day of desexing he just didn't do that anymore and it's a huge relief.

Maybe I should start a new thread about this, but I've got a question. A lovely family of reg PB Goldies at our local park has been having problems because the two entire males, who are perfectly behaved at all times, seem to be targeted by less well trained entire males. To the point of lots of blood and stitches. Is being entire, and getting a bit older, making them a target for challenge? The breeder has never had reason to desex her blokes but is now thinking about it for their own protection. These are well trained, non-aggressive dogs, not pushy or even too friendly like some Goldies and Labs can be.

* It seems that masses of vinegar and lemon juice cannot trick an entire male dog that there wasn't one there before, even after many years, and no human can possibly tell it ever happened!

I had a 12 year old Lhaso Apso/maltese cross desexed because he had a anal adanoema (sp?) That was a cancerous growth and the vet explained that it was an "Old boys disease "and desexing him was his best option. He went on to live to a ripe old 17 without any further health problems besides those normally associated with aging.