Charity Going To The Dogs

gspforme

McGrath Foundation is copping flak for supporting greyhound racing. Good to see animal welfare advocates taking this up with the charity.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/...sport-news.html

GREYHOUNDS wearing the pink number 8 will be racing for more than just a win on the track this February.

As part of the McGrath Foundation's Go The Pink Dog! campaign, all dogs in pink will raise $500 for the breast cancer charity for each race they win.

The funding raised during the campaign will help employ dedicated breast care nurses across Australia and increase awareness of breast cancer in young Australian women.

The initiative was launched last year in Victoria and the cause has now spread to New South Wales and Western Australia. It was launched in Tasmania yesterday in conjunction with Tasmanian Greyhound Racing.

McGrath Foundation spokeswoman Tracy Bevan said she was looking forward to seeing the pink dogs take to the track.

"In its first year, the Go The Pink Dog! campaign raised an amazing $50,000," she said.

Tasmanian Greyhound Racing media and communications manager Wendy Kennedy said there had already been seven pink dog winners in Tasmanian races, with four winning in Devonport on Tuesday.

"The greyhound racing community in Tasmania has thrown its weight behind this fundraising initiative," Ms Kennedy said.

I dont understand what is wrong with that? :rofl:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-McGrath-...40357705?v=wall

The McGrath Foundation are a charity raising money for Breast Cancer research and support in Australia. Whilst we agree and support their cause, this should NOT be done at the cost of the Welfare of thousands of dogs in Australia, and the social cost of gambling on families.

General Information

THOUSANDS of Greyhounds are bred for the racing industry in Australia every year, and THOUSANDS are killed in the name of "sport" and profit.

These peaceful dogs are often mistreated in an industry concerned about winning and money - and these animals suffer as a result of this greed.

No charity should rely on such miserable ventures to better their own cause. They are promoting cruelty and suffering. And for this we ask you to ask the McGrath Foundation to STOP SUPPORTING GREYHOUND CRUELTY!

Send McGrath foundation an email and voice your concern: [email protected]

More info on the Greyhound Industry can be found here:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/24/1098556290613.html

http://www.aact.org.au/greyhounds.htm

http://animal-lib.org.au/subjects/animals-...und-racing.html

(read less)

THOUSANDS of Greyhounds are bred for the racing industry in Australia every year, and THOUSANDS are killed in the name of "sport" and profit.

GSP's:

These peaceful dogs are often mistreated in an industry concerned about winning and money - and these animals suffer as a result of this greed.

No charity should rely on such miserable ventures to better their own cause. They are promoting cruelty and suffering. And for this we ask you to ask the McGrath Foundation to STOP SUPPORTING GREYHOUND CRUELTY!

You know what? 10's of thousands of Australian PETS are killed every year because their owners don't want them. Shall we ban pets?

Pecisely what do you think will happen to all those greyhounds if there is no longer a greyhound racing industry? My guess is the breed would be close to extinct within 10 years. Prohibition is only the answer if that's the result you want.

Clean it up IF it needs it but personally I think these sorts of campaigns are ill informed and misdirected.

Now if you want to talk about cruelty, lets talk about the selectors decisions on recent Australian cricket teams. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

and the social cost of gambling on families.

If you want to start crusading for families then go check alcohol first.

GO THE PINK DOGS!!!

Thanks for the heads-up gspforme, I have passed the information around and everyone I know has been emailing the foundation letting them know we support their efforts whole-heartedly. :rofl:

The Pink Dog campaign will raise over $130,000 for the McGrath Foundation this year. What a shame if this campaign were to end because of the AR groups who trot out the same, outdated information time and time again.

I have received several abusive phone calls this week regarding this. When politely questioned, not one of the callers had ever actually been to a dog track. I just wish they would put as much energy into researching the truth as they do into spreading the lies.

Just like I always like supporting the grey horse in a horse race (as a kid I had 2 grey ponies, so have a soft spot for them) so always cheer them on, and my favourite race of the year is that one where it is all grey horses, so wholeheartedly agree with supporting this

GO THE PINK DOG!!!!!!

The Pink Dog campaign will raise over $130,000 for the McGrath Foundation this year. What a shame if this campaign were to end because of the AR groups who trot out the same, outdated information time and time again.

I have received several abusive phone calls this week regarding this. When politely questioned, not one of the callers had ever actually been to a dog track. I just wish they would put as much energy into researching the truth as they do into spreading the lies.

:champagne: Whoever these AR campaigners are, they must be kept busy harassing all the charities and organisations GRV directly or indirectly provides support to.

GO THE PINK DOG!!!!!!!!!

Linda K, I see your six exclamation marks - note my NINE

Edited by Fastgals