Adopted Akita - Won't Sleep In Her Bed

Lena.

I agree with those that say just let her sleep where she wants. You have provided her with somewhere warm and comfortable and if she chooses to sleep elsewhere, so what?

You might like to put a trampoline bed outside in the shade somewhere too, in case she is too hot in the shed.

I had a dog very similar, despite having several beds, both in the house and outside, would choose to lie on the concrete (not even the grass). I guess its like how some people like really hard beds, and some people like soft, squishy beds lol

My puppy now is a soft squishy bed girl, just like me :kissbetter:

I have to admit it is nice having a dog that actually appreciates and uses the nice bedding you provide them with

Thanks guys. I feel a whole lot better reading your replies.

It's raining here at the moment and might be a good time to ask the hubs if she can stay in the laundry room for tonight. Still a bit anxious to make sure she's getting comfortable with us.

While she is settling in I think its better for her to have a consistent routine of where she sleeps. So if you want her to sleep outside all the time leave it at that and I wouldn't be changing it around to the laundry because its raining.

The changes to sleeping areas will only continue to confuse her.

She is not going to get cold. If anything she is probably too hot on her bed and prefers the concrete as it's cool.

I bought numerous beds over the years and none of them ever got slept on. If I put the bed in the favourite sleeping spot then it would just get dragged out the way so the tiles could be slept on as per usuual.

We've put beds in the dogs crates and they sleep in there in Winter but hardly every in Summer.

I think that is something you can come to expect from a "cold climate breed' but my friends GAP greyhound does the same thing and he has very little coat! :cry: So now they put a coat on him when it's cold...then the new problem is he wont pee with a coat on!

Many thanks to everybody's advice! Just a morning-after update...

I put a blanket I used around me while watching tv on her bed in the shed but moved the bed where she can directly see the back door. This morning, she wasn't on the concrete... She used her bed! Don't know if she was there all night but, you're right, she'll sleep where she's most comfortable, concrete or not.

Really appreciate all the help guys.

• 10 years later...

Hello Lena

I own Akita and yes they are amazing whether Japaneses or American type of Akita

They don't like heat for sure

But

if you encourage her to sleep in her bed which support her joint, it would be beneficial for both of you. Best would be to bring her inside to makes her feel part of family rather than being outside.

You see, Akita s are not outside dogs!

Please bring Mia inside (Akita is a very clean dog, they dont chew or damage anything) so bring her in and try to put her bed inside. Otherwise if she continues to sleep on a rough surface for too long, she will end up with hip pain,shaky legs, painful joints to the pint that she would have problem walking.

Best

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lilly-s said:

Hello Lena

I own Akita and yes they are amazing whether Japaneses or American type of Akita

They don't like heat for sure

But

if you encourage her to sleep in her bed which support her joint, it would be beneficial for both of you. Best would be to bring her inside to makes her feel part of family rather than being outside.

You see, Akita s are not outside dogs!

Please bring Mia inside (Akita is a very clean dog, they dont chew or damage anything) so bring her in and try to put her bed inside. Otherwise if she continues to sleep on a rough surface for too long, she will end up with hip pain,shaky legs, painful joints to the pint that she would have problem walking.

Best

You are good to answer Lena's question I'm afraid that Lena's Akita may have passed over the bridge by now as she was 5 when the post went up in 2011

• Like 2