How Many Of Your Dogs Do You Walk At Once?

snow_wolf

I've walked 4 of mine together on occasion, but would not attempt all 5 at once because one of mine is DA and I need to keep a close eye on her. The down side is that they can work each other up and definitely get that 'pack' mentality when they are all together.

DA???

DA - dog aggressive

Ah k thanks. Im no good with the acronyms these days :laugh:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm walking around the neighbourhood I usually walk two at a time. If I'm taking them to the forest or the dog club I take all four. I find three easy enough to walk, but four too many in suburbia, so I take the two oldies on a shorter walk and the two younger ones on a bigger walk. Keeps me exercised!!

If I have three or more I often get comments. I've been known to pass the same people with the two oldies and then with the two younger dogs, it does confuse them :laugh:

I can recall going to the forest one day with FHRP.. dogs just boiled out of the car while a couple of people stood there gobsmacked. I think we only had 6 between us then. :D

So, it seems quite common for people to walk up to 4 dogs at a time. Im surprised i have never seen a lead with one handle that has 4 leads on it. Like, a multi-lead.

Maybe i can invent it, and make millions!

I walk all 4 of mine all together on lead and off. I have a ezy dog lead that has 4 lead attachments. So the main lead has a handle and the end is like a normal clip and I can attach up to 4 shorter leads to it. It's great but if I am doing a long on lead walk I prefer to have them all on separate leads so I can have 2 each side.

If I'm walking around the neighbourhood I usually walk two at a time. If I'm taking them to the forest or the dog club I take all four. I find three easy enough to walk, but four too many in suburbia, so I take the two oldies on a shorter walk and the two younger ones on a bigger walk. Keeps me exercised!!

If I have three or more I often get comments. I've been known to pass the same people with the two oldies and then with the two younger dogs, it does confuse them :laugh:

I can recall going to the forest one day with FHRP.. dogs just boiled out of the car while a couple of people stood there gobsmacked. I think we only had 6 between us then. :D

Ha ha. Reminds me of a time when we only had 6. And a friend of ours had 2. And we had them all at a grooming place, because we didnt have a hydrobath.

People came in and saw 8 sibes, and were rather shocked. Made a big deal out of it. but we're sporting 9 of them and a basenji in the yard now :)

So, it seems quite common for people to walk up to 4 dogs at a time. Im surprised i have never seen a lead with one handle that has 4 leads on it. Like, a multi-lead.

Maybe i can invent it, and make millions!

I walk all 4 of mine all together on lead and off. I have a ezy dog lead that has 4 lead attachments. So the main lead has a handle and the end is like a normal clip and I can attach up to 4 shorter leads to it. It's great but if I am doing a long on lead walk I prefer to have them all on separate leads so I can have 2 each side.

I think the neck ties would be good for this too. We use them when racing, theyre just a really short lead that clips on to the collars, to keep them from seperating too far. Stops them deciding to turn opposite ways, usually ends in tears, and bruises :laugh:

Sometimes I walk all 3 at once (one 35kg, one 16kg and one 7kg), sometimes I just walk one or 2.

Halfthewords just wondering how you would handle 6 dogs in an off leash park if one of them were attacked by another dog and then they all went in on it?

None of my dogs are reactive to other dogs (they know they'd be busted!), so the likelihood of them having the 'pack mentality' is almost zilch... I also take them during off peak times, i.e. when I know no one will be there. I do my best to be vigilant, and if I see a dog approaching with ears forward/hackles up/tail up then they all are releashed or I call out to the other owner.

Sometimes I walk all 3 at once (one 35kg, one 16kg and one 7kg), sometimes I just walk one or 2.

Halfthewords just wondering how you would handle 6 dogs in an off leash park if one of them were attacked by another dog and then they all went in on it?

None of my dogs are reactive to other dogs (they know they'd be busted!), so the likelihood of them having the 'pack mentality' is almost zilch... I also take them during off peak times, i.e. when I know no one will be there. I do my best to be vigilant, and if I see a dog approaching with ears forward/hackles up/tail up then they all are releashed or I call out to the other owner.

Most of mine are ok. They dont go out of their way to provoke another dog. however, they dont usually like random dogs being up in their face.

I can walk both of mine together but i often walk them separately. It's my alone time with individual dog :laugh:

Charlie likes walking very slowly. Whereas Emmy we are walking in a very fast pace.

Edited by CW EW

I walk all three westies together - two on a double lead and one on a single - apart from a half hour walk taking almost an hour with all the oohs and aahs and people wanting to stop and talk every few minutes - no issues! :laugh:

It must be painful, if thy all want to get the last wee on a pole :D

I often take out 5 at a time, on lead it would be 2 Giant schnauzers on one side and 3 minis on another, anymore and I find the leads get to tangled when I have to stop to scoop the poop! Off lead we go at quiet times and stick to quiet routes.

It has been fun when we have met up with others for group walks when there can be 10 - 15 dogs or more running around together - an especially good sight when they are all the same breed :rofl:

I've been known to clip my older Cavalier (3)to my German Shepherd (5)lead and have them heel on my left with my other Cavalier (2)on the right. Haven't added the crazy puppy (5 months)to this mix for obvious reasons :rofl: (really she's still too young for a long trek)!!

Three now, four when we had Ivan. Every day at least one person tells me I have my hands full. Mostly I smile and nod, but I find it pretty dumb considering I'm walking the dogs on my left [on loose leads] so I clearly have one hand free!

I would never walk them on anything other than separate leads. Far too risky IMO.