How Many Of Your Dogs Do You Walk At Once?

snow_wolf

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walk my two dogs separately. They walk perfectly on their own, no pulling etc. But when I walk them together they pull, lunge, bark at everything and generally go crazy, like they egg each other on. It's embarrassing to be seen with them.

Only one dog, (I only have one), but I find I can also push a stroller, and tow a toddler on a bike and supervise a 6 year old on his bike.

It is not very relaxing.

Once, on the way home with our puppy, who is very confident and playful with other dogs, a dog who roames the street near her home approaches us. She is a harmless dark brindle staffy, quite old. But she scares the kids, who start crying (all three of them), and she excites my puppy who runs around and tangles up the rope towing the toddler bike with my legs and the stroller. It was quite an effort to get going again, with the happy staffy running around gleefully, my pup doing mickey flips and the kids all upset... I don't go that way now.

Wow, I thought I was achieving something walking my 2 staffords together but after reading this discussion I clearly see that others are doing better. 5 big dogs at once is incredible.

My two are generally ok but it takes a few minutes of walking and correcting before they settle into heeling properly so I'm not dragged along for 40 minutes. My youngest also likes to greet other dogs and I'm not a big person so 2 is enough for me.

Wow, I thought I was achieving something walking my 2 staffords together but after reading this discussion I clearly see that others are doing better. 5 big dogs at once is incredible.

My two are generally ok but it takes a few minutes of walking and correcting before they settle into heeling properly so I'm not dragged along for 40 minutes. My youngest also likes to greet other dogs and I'm not a big person so 2 is enough for me.

Your two Staffords probably weigh as much as my four do. Its definitely easier with some dogs than others.

Nothing like an offlead dog to create carnage when you've got yours onlead. I broke a wrist years ago when two offlead dogs rushed the one I was walking for friends. The fact that they were friendly didn't make the break any nicer.

Edited by poodlefan

I have walked two Dobes and a Stafford in the past. Then it was a Dobe a Stafford and a Jack Russell while pushing a pram.

Now it is two Whippets and pram, the Stafford is too old :laugh:

I have tried coup0ling leads but don't like them I prefer seperate leads as Rommi like to trot along next to youa nd Lewis generally goes out to the end of the lead.

As I don't generally walk in town roaming dogs are not an issue. Two excitable Whippets and either a kangeroo, fox or rabbit can make for an interesting few moments though!

I walk 2 at the same time but only in an area that I know. I happily walk my Lappie anywhere she is very easy.

I was walking my deerhound and GSD X years ago when the deerie saw something and took off breaking his collar -the GSD X sat straight away so I was pulled by the deerie but ended up spinning around the GSD X and falling over her - not very elegant and it did teach me not to buy cheap collars.

I only walk one at a time. Buster is DA and I don't need him teaching Quinn bad habits or getting her involved in a fight if we run into another dog.

I do this too, as our older kelpie is DA and the young pup just wants to looove everyone. So I don't want him to pick up the kelpie's habits.

I used to walk our Vizsla and foxie x together a lot.

I walk 4 together, ranging in size from 3kgs through to 42kgs. They all know thier place and as long as I am on the ball with the leads they are fine,. I thought about the leads where you clip them all to the one, but as I have one still learning, and one that needs the odd correction, its easier to have individual leads so I dont confuse any of them. The leads are all different colours and are always used for the same dogs, so I just naturlly grab the lead of whatever dogs I want to correct when I need to. Mind you, nearly grief this morning, about 2 mins from arriving home and we get rushed by another dog who was out with his owners on bikes. It was funny as, she started to charge up the path with them yelling at her, I waited until she was about 6 mts away them stamped and yelled at her. She actaully left scratch marks on the concrete where she braked and turned tail back to her humans, the look on her face was priceless!!!! :rainbowbridge::rainbowbridge: "Crazy dog person " :rainbowbridge: My dogs were doing the big posturing then, I could hear them saying "Yeah and if you come back we will let Mum off the lead at ya!!!!!" :worship:

I would have to qualify mine as to now only when my young newf is in her "no pull" harness. because she made a fool of me, when she tried to say hello to a dog that i knew was aggressive. he walked quite close behind us and she was going to say hello. I had three big dogs, she pulled and only had her flat collar on and I just sat down. Bum on ground there was noway I was going to let her near the big Turkish Shepard dog, who we all know is aggressive. I think she thought "oh hi another newfie".

So lesson learned. Do not have the youngest happy dog along without her harness....Sheepish I certainly was after that event. Once I was down, I was the happy distraction and got madly licked. luckily Mercedes's hubby untangled me :rainbowbridge: :rainbowbridge: :rainbowbridge::worship:

Guest english.ivy

I walk my two at the same time, together they weight more than me so I don't think I could handle another large breed dog.

I've got it down pat watching two dogs run off lead at the beach.

I have a client who has 3 Rotties and a GSD I walk all at once, I think it's a matter of what tools you're comfortable with. :) I use those blue/white checkered slip/showleads only. A few corrections if they pull, and they are walking next to me rather than ahead.

3 Rotties! Gee, thats keen! :laugh: Then add a GSD on top. Wow!!!

I only weigh 70kgs. So if i did that, and a cat crossed in front of me, i'd want to be wearing a helmet for the face plant thats bound to happen!

I weigh 56kg, my dog weighs over 40kg but luckily he has learned not to pull. I can easily walk him and my sister's 2 tiny dogs - they pull the whole time as hard as they can but I barely notice. I think you could walk a lot of small dogs and still be able to stop them from causing much trouble (which is different from having them under full control), but I would probably only walk 2 large dogs in a highly built up area. If they both walked like my current dog though you could hold them both in one hand and maybe have another dog in the other. Really would depend on the dogs.