Suggestions Please

tlc

My friend just got a new 20kg bag if dog food delivered, she popped it in her shed on Thursday and went away for the weekend and got home on Monday, she went to open the dog food to put it in her tub and it was full of ants, she found a tiny hole in the bag so this is where the ants would have got in and there was 100s of them. (don't know how bag got hole in it, probably in transit and pick up.)

Has anyone had this happen and if so how did you get rid of the ants? Would the food still be any good if the ants have been/still are in the food?

:laugh: Thanks for all the replies!!

So the ants would make the dog sick? I think she is still thinking of feeding the food but I wasn't so sure she should so that's why I thought id post.

No, i meant, anything u used to get rid of the ants will make them sick.

I dont know what eating the ants will do. I imagine if the ants started biting them from the inside, would be quite painful.

But then again, i have seen the dogs eat all kids o nasty bugs lol.

I have the same problem here occassionally. They go away in a few days.

Put ant rid around the area on the tracks they are taking to the food.

Then when they are gone have a drum with a proper lid and put the food in it.

I never threw out any food.

Ants wouldn't hurt the dogs if they are just the little black ones.

I mean really a dog will dig a ball out if a garden and covered in dirt it will still chew it. They leave a 1/2 eaten bone around and go back later for it and just scratch it around to get rid of the ants.

They will be fine

I suppose its better to have ants in the food bag, than to have dogs.

I have numerous times, walked into the laundry, to find a mischevous [bloated] puppy, with its head sticking out of the bag. I suppose its the true meaning of "Fat, dumb and happy" :rofl:

If the ants are still in the bag empty the whole lot out on a tarp layed outside in the hot sun and tip the kibble onto that and move it about so it is just one layer, rake it around every so often and the ants will bugger off.

You could also run a blow torch quickly over the kibble trying not to set fire to the tarp :-D and then blow the dead ants away with the vacuum cleaner on reverse....this solution is more fun for you but not for the ants.