How Many Dogs Can Someone Own?

snow_wolf

To further my "dog walking" thread. I wonder what everyones opinion is on, ho many dogs a person can own.

I know of people in excess of 30 dogs...

There are 10 dogs in my yard. And we have decided we're well and truly over the boundary for us. But what sort of figure would everyone else feel is getting to be too much?

I know i wouldnt want any more than 4 personally.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to eventually have somwhere between 4 and 6. But no more than my current two until I atleast have a rental history and no more than 3 till I own somewhere. It seems like the line other people draw between dog interested and crazy dog lady is when you go past 3.

We live on an acre. And having 10 is a major handful. They're fine 99% of the time.

It just becomes and issue during feeding time, and when the bitches are on heat. Though only 1 of the males is entire, but it can still cause fights between the other boys.

I'd like to eventually have somwhere between 4 and 6. But no more than my current two until I atleast have a rental history and no more than 3 till I own somewhere. It seems like the line other people draw between dog interested and crazy dog lady is when you go past 3.

Oh, wow. You have 2 dogs and you're renting?

I've been looking for a place to rent, need to take 1 of the dogs with me. But i am having an impossible time finding a suitable house, that allows pets.

I did find having 4, feeding was the most annoying issue, its just such a hassle. We only have 3 here ow and it doesn't feel like quiet enough. 2 are mine, one is my sisters, my mother lost both of her two last year but she's concentrating on her horses for now and doesn't have time to be raising another dog, so we're happy at 3 for now.

Edited by B-Q

Again? :laugh: I am going to throw this machine out the damn window! It lags up, and takes like 10 minutes to refresh the page. ARGHHHH!!!!

It doesnt help, that im bored useless, otherwise i would find something else to do, until the net wants to sort itself out. :D

Edited by snow_wolf

We live on an acre. And having 10 is a major handful. They're fine 99% of the time.

It just becomes and issue during feeding time, and when the bitches are on heat. Though only 1 of the males is entire, but it can still cause fights between the other boys.

10 Dogs on an acre??? :D

I'm on 4 acres and IMO it would still be too small for 10 dogs! :laugh:

I love love love having 4 and think I could easily and successfully have 5 but in the Interest of wanting to stay married 4 is my limit, well OH's limit :laugh: He loves the dogs but they are mine in most senses of the word, I feed, train care for, groom, etc. He just plays with them. Financially 4 is good for us, we have no kids so have money for decent food, vet bills, good grooming equipment etc..... I also only work part time so the rest of my time is mainly devoted to my dogs and thier needs.

I guess it really depends on the persons situation, how much time, room and money they have.

10 Dogs on an acre??? :D

I'm on 4 acres and IMO it would still be too small for 10 dogs! :laugh:

lol. Well, the thing is, they have the entire yard to use. Its quite a long yard for them to run up and down. But they just spend their entire time sitting outside the back door sleeping. The only time they use the yard is to chase the rabbits, and any other wildlife that roams in.

I currently have 8 dogs, 5 of a toy breed and 3 larger dogs. I think my personal limit is 4 large dogs and 6 or 7 toy dogs atm, as all of my dogs are young and energetic. My oldest dog is currently 6yrs old.

In yrs to come when some of the dogs are old and quiet I could probably manage a few extra. For me the limit is about how many dogs i can provide enough exercise for, and give enough individual attention to. I know i dont have the time needed for too many large dogs, but the toy breed are easy to manage, almost zero grooming and dont take up a lot of space. As all my dogs live in the house and not in kennels space is an issue I have to consider. 5 of the dogs are breeding/show dogs and the other 3 are pets.

My friends think im a crazy dog woman but they accept it as thats just who I am.

Oh I also have cats. 4 indoor cats plus another kitten in the not too distant future. Plus a turtle that lives indoors in a turtle tank :rofl:

Happy mayhem is how I would describe the house most days. I live in a rural town on a normal sized block.

I deal with feeding time by using crates. Crates keep me sane! Every dog is crated during feeding, and none are let out until all the food bowls have been collected. Bones are also given while crated. Means I do a lot of washing of dog bedding, but also means no fights over food.

I should also add I run my dogs in 2 packs, in separate yards. A toy dog pack and the larger dog pack. This somehow makes it feel more manageable, and like there are less dogs than there actually are. Often one pack is indoors with me while the other pack is outside etc. I exercise the large dogs seperately to the toy dogs too.

I think this is one reason why I am able to mange so many dogs.

I should also add I run my dogs in 2 packs, in separate yards. A toy dog pack and the larger dog pack. This somehow makes it feel more manageable, and like there are less dogs than there actually are. Often one pack is indoors with me while the other pack is outside etc. I exercise the large dogs seperately to the toy dogs too.

I think this is one reason why I am able to mange so many dogs.

We have 2 bitches that dont get along. So one of them is permanently inside. We also keep the basenji inside, as he tends to think he can rough it out with the big boys. Often ends in tears :rofl:

The others, generally get on fine. But we do have a couple of dog runs, for when bitches are in season etc etc.

To further my "dog walking" thread. I wonder what everyones opinion is on, ho many dogs a person can own.

I think it comes down to your home, the breed and temperament of the dog, your lifestyle, your experience with dogs and your financial capacity.

We have 3 GSDs at the moment and will be joined by our 17 week old WSSD on Sunday. Each dog has it's own distinct personality and energy levels, although our laid back GSDs would be happy to be permanent lounge lizards if we'd let them. I work with them full time and keeping them mentally active is very important. A bored shepherd equals a destroyed house and I think our landlord would be most displeased if I let that happen.

We wouldn't want any more as it is a nice balance of ages and you can take two out for training and leave two behind. If I had a job away from home, we wouldn't have this many as I don't think I would have the time to keep them all happy. Our lifestyle revolves around the furkids and every thing we do we regard as a training opportunity - even feeding time. We find it easy to keep four in line but I wouldn't want to hand over 4 to a first time dog owner.